Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli

“We somehow got into the bad habit of not eating breakfast on the weekend and just having a fairly average lunch. I decided that enough of bad habits, it’s time we turned ourselves around. After eating such a good breakfast, I felt so good for the rest of the day. It was so filling and...”

Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli

Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli

After eating such a good breakfast, I felt so good for the rest of the day. It was so filling and didn’t make me crave any naughty food (bonus!). I have time on the weekends to have proper breakfasts, so this will be a regular thing. I have so many muesli recipes to try, as well as many other healthy breakfast options. So stay tuned for more.

You can omit the yoghurt; I did and it turned out fine. Will try again this weekend with the yoghurt. I also added some silvered almonds for some crunch. So many possibilities to try!

Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli

From the Biggest Loser Families book

1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
250ml (1 cup) apple juice
3/4 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
2 apples, cored and grated
150g fresh blueberries

1. Place the rolled oats, oat bran, apple juice and yoghurt in a mixing bowl, stir to combine, then cover and place in the fridge overnight.

2. Add the grated apple to the oat mixture and stir to combine. Divide the muesli between four serving bowls, then top each with some fresh blueberries.

Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli

Comments

21 comments on “Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli
  1. Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc - March 23, 2011 at 1:58 am

Oh yes, I need my breakfast even on weekends. Did I tell you how much I adore oats? It’s my favourite breakfast food ever. I can’t wait to read your other posts on breakfast recipes.

2. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

This looks so pretty!! I have never seen a more attractive bowl of bircher :) I find grated apple to be the key ingredient – it’s so delicious! Having a nice healthy breakfast does make you feel so good for the rest of the day.

3. Michelle - March 23, 2011 at 8:29 am

I used to have oats with mixed fruit juice and people used to tell me it is weird for me to do so. Apparently, it is not…

4. Mez - March 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

This looks so good, I’ve never been a huge, huge fan of Bircher Muesli I should give it a second chance I think….

5. MEAN EIRENE - March 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

I hope this is soft enough to eat while I’m suffering from a sore jaw!

(I just got my braces tightened and bands added. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

6. Susan - March 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Those pictures are gorgeous! I must say that I do prefer a savoury breakfast on the weekends with a sugary coffee!

7. Jennifer (Delicieux) - March 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

This looks fabulous! Perfectly healthy and wonderful for an indulgent weekend breakfast. Yum!

8. Adrian in Food Rehab - March 23, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Normally not a cereal person, but this looks awesome! Awesooome!!!
    I may be converted…LOL

9. Hannah - March 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm

This looks so wonderfully refreshing! I’d definitely have to add in nut butter somewhere, but apart from that, lovely! 😛

10. Erin@TheFoodMentalist - March 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

How good do those blueberries look?!?! OMG! Yum! and I love that its healthy too. Fits in with my new diet plan :) hehe

11. Alana - March 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

This looks delicious. There is a reason why breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!

12. penny aka jeroxie - March 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

The blueberries are smiling to me… gorgeous. And yes… need more breakfast.. i know i know

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - March 24, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Gorgeous photo Shellie! The blueberries really leap out at you and say “devour me!”

14. Chanel - March 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Your photos are fantastic – you inspired me to make bircher muesli last night 😀

• Iron Chef Shellie - March 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm

awww thanks lovely! I made it again last week and took it to work for lunch 😛 Hope yours was delicious!

15. Kay - August 21, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hi! looks like a lovely recipe – will try it out tonight… one quick question though – was wondering if I could add the grated apples at the beginning itself before placing it in the fridge overnight? That way I can divide the mixture in portion controlled packs and just grab and go nect morning? Look forward to your response. Thanks!

• Iron Chef Shellie - August 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hi Kay,
      Yes you can, although the apple does brown a bit, but it’s still just as delicious. I’ve done it before :)

16. Kay - August 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the prompt response Shellie! One more question – how long do you reckon it would last with the grated apples put in while soaking? Trying my best to eat healthy and leave no excuses! So to be able to make a batch for 3-4 days would be awesome! I love your website… look forward to trying more of your recipes. :-) cheers!

17. Marylou Combs - March 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

It’s my favourite breakfast food ever. cheers! I love your website… look forward to trying more of your recipes.