Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork

“I think there is a pulled pork craze going on in the blogasphere. I’d been wanting to make mine for months and finally got around to it on the long weekend. I was going to go with Chocolate Suze’s recipe, or Hamish’s recipe.. but something told me to do this random recipe I found on...”

March 16, 2011

I think there is a pulled pork craze going on in the blogasphere. I’d been wanting to make mine for months and finally got around to it on the long weekend. I was going to go with Chocolate Suze’s recipe, or Hamish’s recipe.. but something told me to do this random recipe I found on the internet.

It smelt amazing as I rubbed with the dry rub to let it marinate over night. It smelt amazing as it roasted away for 6+ hours.

I think it could have been the BBQ sauce that killed it. TOO many spices going on, and we couldn’t really taste the meat. It was still good, but I threw out the recipe and will be using  Hamish’s recipe next time, after little convincing from Mez! Best pulled pork I’ve had was from Misty’s Diner; 24hr pulled pork, fresh baguette, smoky BBQ sauce, red onion and skinny fries… I’m salivating just thinking about it! Must head back there soon for more!

Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork

2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 hamburger buns
Pickle spears

1. Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

2. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F).

3. Put the pork in a roasting pan and bake for about 6 hours. Basically, roast the pork until it’s falling apart and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F.

4. To make the barbecue sauce: combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves.

5. Remove the pork roast from the oven and transfer to a large platter. Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. While still warm, take 2 forks and “pull” the meat to form shreds. Using 2 forks, shred the pork by steadying the meat with 1 fork and pulling it away with the other. Put the shredded pork in a bowl. Pour 1/2 of the sauce on the shredded pork and mix well to coat.

6. To serve, spoon the pulled pork mixture onto the bottom 1/2 of the hamburger bun, and top with the spicy slaw. Serve with pickle spears and the remaining sauce on the side.

14 comments on “Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork
  1. penny aka jeroxie - March 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Looks good… use a simple home made tomato sauce like I did. You get the pork flavour. or even a simple pesto sauce. very very yum. maybe I prefer a lighter version of pulled pork.

2. Mez - March 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for the link love lady!!!

Do try Hamish’s recipe. Like I’ve said it is an effort, Pulled Pork is anyway….. but the results are drool worthy.

I’d be saying away from store bought bbq sauce too, Hamish’s recipe includes making your own (it’s the marinade bit) I honestly can’t describe how amazing it was… I want it now hahaahaha

He just made a simple stock w/ chicken frames, celery, carrot an onion – the usual suspects. We didn’t use a store bought stock.

Hope this helps in your quest for the PERFECT Pulled Pork.

Once again thank you for the link love!

3. hollypop - March 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm

i need to make this on the weekend.

YES i will use M/H’s recipe.

4. Christine@Christine's Recipes - March 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Aw, the pork was roasted for 6 hours! Look gorgeous.
    Really want to have a bite of the pork. It must be very tasty. Can I? :)

5. Sophia - March 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm

OMG that looks so good, Shellie! Funny cos I was Googling pulled pork recipes yesterday too, but not because of the blogs. Mostly because I’ve been watching Top Chef and my fave cheftestant has been adding some pulled pork to his dishes lately and I’m convinced it must be something amazing lol!

6. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yes, I am dreaming of pulled pork these days! I cannot wait to try more recipes. & thanks for the tip about Misty’s Diner РI had no idea I could find some there. I will be going there stat!

7. Michelle - March 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm

This makes me hungry. Two more hours till dinner and my tummy is GROWLING! YOUR BURGER’S FAULT!

8. Martyna@WholesomeCook - March 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Looks lovely Shelly though I agree that with that much time and effort one should be able to taste the pork. PS it’s the entire world that’s going crazy for pulled pork: was featured twice in the recent Matt Damon movie The Adjustment Bureau!! PPS I’m yet to make some :-/

9. April @ My Food Trail - March 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I love slow roasted pork but think sometimes the BBQ sauce can overpower the meat in pulled pork so I’ve never tried to make it! I think slow roasted pork in a burger with a relish sounds much better!

10. Susan - March 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I love pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw. That looks so good. I think I will have to make some soon.

11. Monica - March 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Wow… I can almost smell the goodness :) Pulled pork seems to be on the radar at the moment for sure. I tried a recipe from the Good Housekeeping site last year which was nice. Not too saucy but still juicy :) I’d like to try a real smoked recipe one day.

12. Helen (grabyourfork) - March 19, 2011 at 1:23 am

Oh yeah baby. Pulled pork is oh so tasty! The bbq sauce sound awesome.

13. msihua - March 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

Ahhh.. pulled pork turns me to mush inside… i wonder if it would work just as well as pulled lamb? But the texture woould be tougher.. but pork… MMmmMm