Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken

“Mum and I have to agree, the Australian BBC Good Food magazine is probably the best food magazine I subscribe to. The latest issue (March 2011) has so many recipes I want to make. I’ve already made a few, so when stumped with what to make for dinner this week, I turned to the magazine...”

Recipes | February 24, 2011
Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken

Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken

Mum and I have to agree, the Australian BBC Good Food magazine is probably the best food magazine I subscribe to. The latest issue (March 2011) has so many recipes I want to make. I’ve already made a few, so when stumped with what to make for dinner this week, I turned to the magazine and decided on this recipe.

I was wondering if it would be any good, with the addition of ground coriander, but it turned out fine. Delicious in fact! Although taste it before you serve it to your unsuspecting guinea pigs. I ended up adding a couple of chicken stock cubes at the end to boost the flavour. Season with salt and pepper too (that’s a no brainer). The addition of coriander leaves adds a nice zing and freshness to the comforting bowl of soup.

Make it again? Sure, thing! Maybe with risoni next time.

Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken

From  Australian BBC Good Food Magazine – March 2011

4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken stock
500g chicken breast fillet
1 tablespoon canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup (100g) basmati rice
1 cup coriander leaves, plus extra to serve

1. Heat stock in a saucepan on high, until simmering. Reduce head to low, add chicken and poach for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Reserve stock.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan on medium. Cook onion for 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and ground coriander and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add tomato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, for 15 minutes, until reduced slightly.

3. Add rice and cook for 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Using fingers, finely shred chicken and add to soup with coriander leaves. Season to taste. Serve topped with extra coriander.

Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken

Comments

14 comments on “Tomato Rice Soup with Chicken
  1. jenius - February 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

ooo, i think i’d like to try this recipe with wild rice!

2. penny aka jeroxie - February 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Really simple mid week recipe… might give this a go actually!

3. Jennifer (Delicieux) - February 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Your soup looks delicious Shellie! I’ve been craving soup recently. I think it’s because of all the rain.

I’ve never looked at the Australian BBC Good Food magazine but will have to check it out now after your endorsement! At the moment I get Delicious and Gourmet Traveller, and while both are great, they don’t really inspire me to make a whole lot from them.

4. Hannah - February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

This is absolutely my kind of recipe! Quick, inexpensive ingredients, and one-bowl with the potential for freezable leftovers. Hurrah!

5. Michelle - February 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

This looks really healthy and hearty! Ideal for the upcoming autumn.

6. Mez - February 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Yum!!! I’m keen to try this, it looks like the perfect winter dish!

7. angie - February 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Such a vibrant dish! Sounds lovely for a mid week dinner =)

8. Queenotisblue - February 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Great recipe! Made it tonight. Simple, quick and tasty. Didn’t have ground coriander so used ground cumin instead, which worked out fine. Thanks for sharing.

9. Susan - March 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

This looks like a delicious recipes for a weekend lunch when it’s cold outside, or if you aren’t feeling the best. I wish I had had a bowl of this when I had the flu last week! Have bookmarked and will def make this sometime.

10. Sarah - March 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

I have some stock in the making from a chicken carcass. Your recipe sounds awesome. I don’t have any fresh coriander though. You think it would be okay to leave it out?