Pasta with Spicy Chorizo & Rosemary Sauce

“My lovely friend Miss A had told me on numerous occasions how delicious this super easy pasta with chorizo was. Her mum makes it for her family, and Miss A even made it a few times too, and she doesn’t tend to do a lot of cooking (which is changing, and her cookbook collection is...”

Pasta with Spicy Chorizo & Rosemary Sauce

My lovely friend Miss A had told me on numerous occasions how delicious this super easy pasta with chorizo was. Her mum makes it for her family, and Miss A even made it a few times too, and she doesn’t tend to do a lot of cooking (which is changing, and her cookbook collection is growing!)

The first time I made it, it was watery, and full of dried rosemary sprigs…. cos I forgot to chop them. A recipe with two steps and I couldn’t even manage to read them properly. I told Miss A and she said it shouldn’t be watery, and it was meant to be really creamy.

So yesterday, I didn’t know what we should eat. I knew I had some fresh fettuccine in the fridge that needed to be used, and chorizo in the freezer. I also had picked up this big tub of that new Philadelphia Cream for Cooking from Costco a few weeks ago. It lasts until next year, so I thought I’d pick one up.

Okay, some tips I can give you to ensure you get awesome, delicious results like I did this time:

1. Don’t wash the can of tomatoes and put the water in the pan… not even the slightest. NO EXTRA WATER!!
  2. Use double cream, not thickened cream.
  3. Make sure you cut the rosemary. I used fresh rosemary from my garden this time.

I ended up using 2 chorizo to add more substance. We both like our meat, and I know it’s a fatty sausage, but it’s not like I’m eating this every day. It is sooooo super easy to make, it’s great for a mid week, after work meal. I will be making it again, and again.. oh and again!

Pasta with Spicy Chorizo & Rosemary Sauce

BBC Good Food –

200g rigatoni (or pasta of your choice)
75g chorizo , chopped into small chunks
olive oil
a pinch chilli flakes
2 sprigs rosemary , needles chopped
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp double cream (optional)

1. Cook the pasta following packet instructions. Fry the chorizo in a little olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the chilli flakes and rosemary and cook for 1 minute then tip in the tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes then add the cream (if using) and stir well.

2. Toss with the pasta and serve.

17 comments on “Pasta with Spicy Chorizo & Rosemary Sauce
  1. Allan - November 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

It’s funny how sometimes the simple things can stump the most experienced ppl =P. It happens =).
    I love your excuse that you don’t eat it everyday… hehe, i could sure use that more often LOLz.

2. Eliza Jane - November 17, 2010 at 9:09 pm

OOh that looks so yummy! And easy! But yes I agree it’s the simple things sometimes that stump us. I love chorizo too! Definetly will try this one

3. penny aka jeroxie - November 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm

chorizo and pasta is one of my go to meals on weekdays as well… in summer, it will be chorizo and salad,….

4. Libby - November 17, 2010 at 11:10 pm

This dish looks too easy … and delicious too!

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 18, 2010 at 1:13 am

Totally approve of the double chorizo action. Looks awesome.

6. GourmetGetaways - November 18, 2010 at 6:17 am

Yum! This looks so delicious! Who could get by on only one Chorizo!!

7. Michelle - November 18, 2010 at 8:16 am

Instead of cream, do you think milk and flour can be used to give the pasta a nice smooth texture?

8. Anna Johnston - November 18, 2010 at 10:45 am

Love some Chorizo in a pasta dish, good tips here Shellie :)

9. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - November 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

Such an easy and delicious dish! Thanks for sharing. Perfect for simple weeknight dinners.

10. Hannah - November 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I adore rosemary! Love seeing it used in dishes that aren’t roast lamb :) Ooooh, all these Costco delights are getting me excited…

11. Joanne - November 18, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Ooo I’ve never thought to combine smoky and salty chorizo with something like rosemary. Sounds like a great pasta dish! I wonder if I can find that cream cheese here…

12. Honey @ honeyandsoy - November 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yum! I adore chorizo, and they are beautiful in pasta. When I saw the Philly cream for cooking, I couldn’t help think of the ad with the buff males 😉

13. Susan - November 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm

How good is chorizo! It doesn’t take long to cook either. I cook a spanish chorizo rice dish a lot that is so easy and so tasty.

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Beautiful pics! When I first discovered chorizo I became obsessed with it. Now I feel it has been to long, this looks delicious!

15. Agnes - November 21, 2010 at 10:37 am

Haha, I’m so terrible at reading recipes. Even when I make an attempt to follow one, my mind just seems to gloss over important bits.

Your pasta looks great – love chorizo!

16. Jennifer Rinehart - July 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm

This was a lovely, lovely meal for a busy Saturday. I didn’t have cream, so I used a little sour cream mixed with cream cheese, tasted great and even my son ate it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.