Nutty Apple Loaf

“Week 40 Theme: Apple Cookbook Used: The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook Author: Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers This has all my favorites; apples, chocolate, nuts, butter and sugar. I was flicking through the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook at my local bookshop, when this recipe caught my eye. Like I always do, I went back to the...”

Nutty Apple Loaf

Nutty Apple Loaf

Week 40
Theme: Apple
Cookbook Used: The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
Author: Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers

This has all my favorites; apples, chocolate, nuts, butter and sugar.

I was flicking through the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook at my local bookshop, when this recipe caught my eye. Like I always do, I went back to the computer and proceeded to order it from BookDepository as it was sooooo much cheaper! I had heard good things about this book from other bloggers out there, so it seemed a warranted purchase.

I made the batter on the Friday night, and baked it in the morning for Saturday breakfast. The recipe says to leave the batter in the tin for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Not really sure why, it can’t be a proving thing as it is in a cold place. I guess it just allows the batter to “chill out”… har har har!

Turned out well as Hamsley’s Dad popped in from the country side, and we all had a slice, hot out of the oven before heading out for an adventure. It was well received by all that ate it. It was a shame I didn’t make a bigger loaf. I’ll definitely be making this one again, as I can always make it the night before, and bake it the next day! Too easy!

Nutty Apple Loaf

175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g soft light brown sugar
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
2 eggs
140g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g shelled mixed nuts, chopped
50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped

1. Put the butter, sugar and strawberry jam in an electric mixer and cream together until light and fluffy.

2. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition.

3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a separate bowl, then beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the nuts, chocolate and apples into the mixture by hand until evenly dispersed. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight if possible.

4. Preaheat the oven to 170ยบC (325ยบF) Gas 3.

5. Pour the mixture into a 23x13cm loaf tin, greased and dusted with flour, and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until brown and the sponge feels firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean, but for a little melted chocolate. Leave the cake to cook slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes 8-10 slices.

Nutty Apple Loaf

Comments

34 comments on “Nutty Apple Loaf
  1. Esz - September 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Winner! I so will make that – love a good loaf ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Honey @ honeyandsoy - September 16, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Mmmmmm that looks SO moist and crunchy!

3. hollypop - September 16, 2010 at 7:31 pm

i love the hummingbird book! i got mine on BD too. hehe.

i think i am going to try to adapt it to gf this weekend.

4. Melbourne Mumma - September 16, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Oh yum! Will have to steal the recipe, if you don’t mind! Looks like the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea :)

5. penny aka jeroxie - September 16, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Wah… Looks so good… and no I cannot get anymore books! EVil!! ๐Ÿ˜›

6. Hannah - September 16, 2010 at 9:56 pm

This looks fantastic! I’m a big fan of loaves at the moment – so good to slice and freeze for afternoon tea at uni :) Love the addition of strawberry jam!

7. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - September 17, 2010 at 1:08 am

I really like the look of this recipe, with the jam and the chocolate snuck in there too. Even better when you are able to stick it in the fridge and forget about it overnight (or maybe be unable to get to sleep knowing that you have a delicious loaf awaiting you the next morning).

8. Gabriel Hummel - September 17, 2010 at 4:07 am

My god I hate you

The idea of spreading some peanut butter on that bread right now and sandwiching it with a banana is making me sweat.

9. kristy @ ksayerphotography - September 17, 2010 at 6:48 am

This looks amazing, moist but crunchy! yumm

10. allan - September 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm

oooo yummy’ness!
    i was looking at the photos and then thought… deja vu… =P
    realised they are all the end product hehe

11. My Restaurants Melbourne - September 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Wow this looks yummy!! great job

12. Anna Johnston - September 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I love cakes you can half prepare & then just cook when you need them, this one’s got all the markings of a great cake for me.

• Iron Chef Shellie - March 18, 1952 at 7:35 pm

Oh it’s great when you can just do half the job one day, and finish it off the next!

13. traintogain - September 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe out! Theres nothing like a good loaf and the wife and I have seriously sweet teeth. Thanks!

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 19, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I bought this book cheap too! I love it! I haven’t got it out for a while though, and you have reminded me to make this delicious looking loaf – thanks :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 20, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ll have to try some more recipes from the book! Ahhh I have too many cookbooks, and I still keep buying them! … however they are more practical than my shoe collection ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Emma @CakeMistress - September 23, 2010 at 11:54 am

Ooh, why haven’t I spotted this in the Hummingbird Bakery book yet? It looks so great!

16. Malin - September 24, 2012 at 3:55 am

That looks truly amazing! And moist! I love a nutty cake! :)

17. Vivian - December 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Mine turned out really runny & undercooked… I left it in the oven longer, but the surface just burnt and was super hard when I took it out… Complete failure for me