Meatballs with Tomato Risoni

“Woot! I’m back baby! Picked up my laptop from the apple store today after hearing good news from Genius Simon that it was back up and running. I’ve been trying a whole lot of recipes from the Masterchef website. Not always the ones they feature on the show, but also the ones the sponsors put...”

Meatballs with Tomato Risoni

I’ve been trying a whole lot of recipes from the Masterchef website. Not always the ones they feature on the show, but also the ones the sponsors put up. And now that I have my own kitchen, I can cook whatever I want, and as many meatballs as I want! Om… ah nom nom nom nom!!
I had never made meatball mix with stock before. I was a little hesitant at first wondering if the mixture would even combine with liquid. But the breadcrumbs did an excellent job of soaking them up. For a mixture with not that many ingredients, it should did smell fantastic as I was rolling them into little balls of delicious-ness.

The end result, juicy, flavoursome packed meatballs, with pasta and a rich tomato sauce, all in done in less than an hour.

Meatballs with Tomato Risoni

Get your hands on:
1L beef stock
500g beef mince
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 tbsp oil
4 tbsp no added salt tomato paste
½ tsp dried rosemary
1 ½ cups risoni pasta
2 ripe tomatoes, diced

Serve it with:
chopped parsley or basil, to garnish
shaved parmesan, to serve

1. Combine ½ cup stock with mince, garlic, egg & breadcrumbs.  Roll into balls.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add meatballs & cook until browned all over. Pour over remaining stock, tomato paste & rosemary. Bring to the boil, reduce heat & cook, covered, for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in risoni & tomatoes. Cook for 8 mins, uncovered, stirring occasionally, or until pasta is al dente. Garnish with parsley & serve with steamed vegetables and parmesan.

Comments

11 comments on “Meatballs with Tomato Risoni
  1. jo - July 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm

looks so delish :) will be trying this one

2. mademoiselle délicieuse - July 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Mmmm, meaty, saucy and wintery! Feel like meatballs for dinner now =p

3. Sarah @ For the Love of Food - July 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm

This does look very simple and truly one pot with the pasta cooked in the sauce. And very yummy you say? Well this will be on the menu at chez Sarah next week!

4. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella - July 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Welcome back Shellie! And what a delicious weather appropriate recipe to come back with. I adore risoni! 😀

5. Agnes - July 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Welcome back! Mhmm meatballs. Why do things taste better when shaped into balls? 😀

6. Adrian @ Food Rehab - July 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm

meatballs!!! You can never have too much.

7. Libby - July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

That sounds beautiful! Just one question, would you say that store-bought beef stock works alright or does the stock have to be made from scratch?

8. Iron Chef Shellie - July 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hi Jo – Thanks, it certainly was!

Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse – Yeah me too, especially after Masterchef last night!

Hi Sarah – Gotta love one pot cooking. Hope it turns out well at Chez Sarah!

Hi Lorraine – Thankyou! Oh I know, love comfort food =)

Hi Agnes – Thanks! Ahh tis true what you say.

Hi Libby – I used the store bought stock! No time to make my own!

9. Conor @ Hold the Beef - July 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yeah Mum, take that! I'm gonna make 50 meatballs and eat them all and I don't care what you say!

P.S. Yum!

10. Iron Chef Shellie - July 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Hi Conor – TOTALLY 😛 I think I'm due for more meatballs actually. it's been over a week.

11. Joudie's Mood Food - August 18, 2010 at 9:11 am

Looks like winter is coming soon. This is such a hearty dish. I love meatballs and this way seems perfect with the pasta. The colours are just gorgeous!!!!