Week 7: The Cookbook Challenge – Mangomisu

“Week 7 Theme: Soft Cookbook Used: Delicious Magazine Issue 89 Author: Valli Little   I wanted to make mangomisu this week, but the 3 mangoes in the fruit bowl looked like they were on deathrow. So I convinced myself that it was just not meant to be. Then when I checked what the theme was...”

Week 7: The Cookbook Challenge – Mangomisu

Week 7: The Cookbook Challenge – Mangomisu

Week 7
Theme: Soft
Cookbook Used: Delicious Magazine Issue 89
Author: Valli Little

I wanted to make mangomisu this week, but the 3 mangoes in the fruit bowl looked like they were on deathrow. So I convinced myself that it was just not meant to be. Then when I checked what the theme was for this week’s cookbook challenge. I was thrilled that the theme was soft as this recipe was perfect, and got my bum down to the supermarket quick smart to buy some healthy looking mangoes!

Twitter friend Kyla had made this just recently and said it was incredibly easy to make, looked and tasted fantastic. She was right, although I had a bit of a mess after photographing, when the slice I carefully placed on my plate fell as I was changing lenses. Raspberry sauce went everywhere, and the we had cream everywhere trying to put it in a container to put back in the fridge. Ah…. fun times!
I ended up using a 20cm cake pan instead of a 22cm pan, as Mum was hogging it to make a cheesecake. Thus I didn’t use the full amount of savoiardi biscuits.

At first I wasn’t sure about pairing it with the raspberry sauce, but after tasting them together, I can see why is it part of the recipe!
A perfect “misu” for the person who doesn’t like the traditional coffee based tiramisu. So refreshing, and perfect for summer; I can’t wait for another slice tomorrow!

Mangomisu

500g mascarpone cheese
600ml thickened cream
1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
1/2 cup (125ml) Grand Marnier
Juice of 2 oranges
300g savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
3 mangoes, flesh sliced 1cm thick
Raspberry Sauce
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
250g fresh or frozen raspberries
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Line the base of a 22cm springform cake pan with plastic wrap or baking paper.
2. Place the mascarpone, thickened cream, icing sugar, egg yolks and vanilla seeds in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until thick and well combined.

3. Combine the Grand Marnier and orange juice in a seperate bowl. Dip half the sponge fingers into the juice mixture and layer in the base of the cake pan. Spread with one-third of the mascarpone mixture, and top with one-third of the mango slices. Repeat the process, then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture, reserving the remaining mango slices to serve.

4. Cover the cake and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
5. Meanwhile for the raspberry sauce, place the sugar and 2 tablspoons water in a small pan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool slightly, then add the berries and lemon juice. Whiz in a food processor until smooth, then pass through a sieve. Chill until ready to serve. (you can store the sauce, covered in the fridge for 3-4 days).
6. To serve, carefully remove the sides and base of the cake pan and transfer the mangomisu to a platter. Decorated with curls of the reserved mango, then slice and serve with berry sauce.
Serves 6-8.

Voila! Bon Appรฉtit!

Week 7: The Cookbook Challenge – Mangomisu

Comments

21 comments on “Week 7: The Cookbook Challenge – Mangomisu
  1. penny aka jeroxie - December 29, 2009 at 8:34 pm

This is beautiful and I won't mind having many slices. Fantastic bar and you have just raised the bar for week 7. heh

2. Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) - December 29, 2009 at 9:03 pm

wow it looks even better than the mag! well done!

3. Jeanne - December 30, 2009 at 1:23 am

Gee Wizz! Shellie, how ever did I know that the recipe I forwarded to you last night. The very Yom one you were making were similar? I almost reckon yours would be more delicious. Just Love Mango's and Raspberry Sauce. I couldn't wish for anything more tempting. YOM!!
    Hugs
    Jeanne X :-)

4. SomethingByKate - December 30, 2009 at 7:50 am

That looks fantastic Shellie! I might need to pull out that mag and have a go myself.

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - December 30, 2009 at 10:28 am

I'm such an idiot. I was reading this thinking..
    'wow, mangomisu, what an interesting name'
    …read read…
    'I wonder why it's called that? Looks tasty'
    …read read…
    'oh look it's got savoiardi biscuits in it, just like tiramisu'
    …read read…
    'oh cool it's a perfect 'misu' for people who…AH! I get it!'
    I think perhaps my stomach is still hogging all my brain blood? Maybe? Anyway, looks very nice even for this person who loves a traditional tiramisu :)

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - December 30, 2009 at 11:19 am

Shellie, great minds think alike! Tomorrow's story is related to this ๐Ÿ˜‰ But I didn't attempt this as I wasn't sure if I could do the mango curls as perfectly as the picture but it looks like you didn't have any trouble at all! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Esz - December 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

YUM! How summery! oooh I might make this!

8. grace - December 31, 2009 at 9:18 am

Oh nicee your version's just as good as the one on the cover of delicious! better actually, coz yours has close ups and raspberry sauce haha

9. Ellie - January 1, 2010 at 10:23 am

OMG!! Your mangomisu looks as pro as the magazine cover!!! It looks so delicious. Wishing you a very happy new year!

10. Ange - January 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Looks sensational

11. Agnes - January 1, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Yuuuum it looks fantastic! Great photos too. :)

12. Iron Chef Shellie - January 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hi Penny – Oh no! I hope I can pull through next week with something spectacular… probably not ๐Ÿ˜›

Hi Kat – Well thank you very much!

Hi Jeanne – It was sensational! Shall have to make it for you one day =)

Hi SomethingByKate – Thanks darling =D

Hi Conor – ahhh… Conor, you always make me laugh!

Hi Lorraine – How lucky you got to meet Valli Little! She is amazing.

Hi Esz – Oh you should! Delicious!

Hi Grace – oh thank you very much!! That makes me feel happy inside =]

Hi Ellie – awww thanks darling! Happy New Year to you too!

Hi Ange – Thanks!

Hi Agnes – Many thanks! =]

13. Moodweather - January 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

Okay this is a little embarrassing but as I scrolled down the page I think I may have actually been drooling :) This looks amazing!

14. A Girl Called E - January 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm

yumm! i know it is because my dad made this on the 27th for my bday! it looks amazing!!

15. chitchatchomp@yahoo.com.au - January 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I'm gobsmacked. This looks fantastic and even better than the actual cover. I love the orginal but would happily try this version! Leigh

16. imasugarjunkie - January 4, 2010 at 8:03 am

ooh looks so fantastic! Definately a great recipe for week 7!

17. Rilsta @ My Food Trail - January 4, 2010 at 8:56 am

Your photography just gets better and better! :) Those photos are amazing and like everyone said, even better than the cover! Lovely garden, is that at your house?

18. What's For Tea? - January 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

That looks so divine and your photos are just gorgeous! I nearly had a go at this for my 'soft' recipe, glad I didn't this would have put mine to shame me thinks.
    Great effort!

19. Iron Chef Shellie - January 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Hi Moodweather – haha, it happens to all of us ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi A Girl Called E – Ahhh lucky you! It is delicious!

Hi ChitChatChomp – Wow! Thank you!

Hi Imasugarjunkie – Thanks! Sure is!

Hi Rilsta – Thanks! I'm glad you think so too ;P haha I'm liking the "better than the cover" comments for sure! Sure is the garden at my house. Dad was wondering who would comment on it =D

Hi What's For Tea? – Thank you! You make me blush =]

20. Thermomixer - January 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Complimenti Shellie. Perfetto. Really would tira mi sรน with that mango. Fantastic work.

21. Iron Chef Shellie - January 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Hi Thermomixer – Thank you!