BeaterBlade+ & Green Tea Cupcakes

“You’ve all heard of love at first sight haven’t you? I was totally in love when I first saw this product: The lovely Kim from Fully Baked contacted me to see if I was interested in giving the BeaterBlade+ a test run, as they were launching the product to the Australian and New Zealand market....”

BeaterBlade+ & Green Tea Cupcakes

BeaterBlade+ & Green Tea Cupcakes

The lovely Kim from Fully Baked contacted me to see if I was interested in giving the BeaterBlade+ a test run, as they were launching the product to the Australian and New Zealand market. Of course I was most excited because the standard KitchenAid attachment mixes well, but you have to stop the mixing quite often, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, resume mixing, stop, and repeat. This can get quite annoying, and can be very time consuming.

I will confess, I don’t actually own a KitchenAid mixer, it is technically my mother’s. However I still live at home, and I swear I’ve used the KitchenAid far more than her. I’m just glad she is happy to share it with me! So I attached the BeaterBlade+ and was anxious to see the results:

As you can see, with the standard attachment, the mixture sticks to the sides, and doesn’t mix everything together consistently. The BeaterBlade+ scrapes and mixes at the same time, so I didn’t have to stop, scrape then mix, then stop, scrape and mix. It even did a fine job when I added the eggs in. This product is just the thing I have been needing my whole baking life! It cuts beating time easily by half! I will be looking forward to easier baking from now on!
You can also check out youtube footage of the attachment in action here.
The attachment is also available for the tilt head models retailing for $55.95. The lift head attachment retails for $59.95. The Fully Baked website is currently under construction, but if you would like to contact Kim about buying one, please contact me and I will supply her contact details to you.What did I bake though? I tried green tea cupcakes, they have to be healthy if they have green tea in them right? I can only wish!

I decided to not bake in cupcake cases for a change, but instead give my new baby bundt tin a try. The recipe states it makes 24 cupcakes, but I think they were a bit ambitious, and would probably make about 15. It also says to top with Japanese sweet red beans, but I’m afraid I don’t normally stock these in my pantry, so cachous makes a reappearance.

To be honest, couldn’t really taste any green tea in these babies. Mum suggested I should try a stronger green tea, but I’m not sure which ones would be stronger. If you have any idea, please let me know! If you didn’t tell anyone they were green tea flavour they wouldn’t know, they would just ask you why they have a green tinge to them. They were more vanilla-y then anything, but still a nice fluffy cake. I preferred mine without the cream, not sure if I will make these again, not unless I find a stronger green tea powder.

Green Tea Cupcakes

1/2 cup milk
3 teaspoons matcha (fine green tea powder)
185g unsalted butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup plain flour
45g Japanese sweet red beans, to decorate

Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Line 24 standard muffin holes with paper cases.

2. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the matcha. Allow to cool.

3. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flours together and fold in alternatively with the milk mixture. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.

4. Beat the cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Decorate each cake with cream and sweet red beans.

Makes 24.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

BeaterBlade+ & Green Tea Cupcakes

Comments

10 comments on “BeaterBlade+ & Green Tea Cupcakes
  1. Ben - August 24, 2009 at 6:21 pm

*drooools* Once again another fine recipe from the iron chef. I must try these i loove green tea. I was about to do the OMG you've for a KA but saw it is your mothers… If i'm ever at your place i suggest you pat me down before i leave as i might have a KA shaped lump under my jumper!.

2. Food lover - August 24, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I love green tea cakes and cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe. The BeaterBlade+ sounds like something out of one of those crazy TV commercials, but actually seems interesting…

3. Kelly - August 25, 2009 at 5:50 am

I'm so excited by your review of the beater blade! I had this on my Christmas list last year and no one (bad hubby!) bought it for me, so this year I might have to get it for myself :-)

4. Ellie - August 25, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Beater blade! That's what we all love to have. Jealous!! I like how you use the little bundt cake pan to make cupcake, they look gorgeous!

5. Iron Chef Shellie - August 25, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Oh Ben!! you do crack me up 😛 Well if you plan to steal the KA, you might wanna work out first, it's not the lightest thing to smuggle out!

Hi Foodlover –I love green tea anything I think. I even wear the green tea perfume by Elizabeth Arden 😛

Hi Kelly –Oh, bad hubby!! I suggest you get yourself one quick smart! Best thing ever.

Hi Ellie –Thanks =) The bundt tin was a bargain at a cheapo shop!

6. vincent - August 27, 2009 at 1:20 am

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

7. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - August 31, 2009 at 2:35 pm

wow, what an awesome beater! All I need now is an actually kitchenaide!

The green tea bundt cupcake look yummy. Thinking outside the box is always good, I dont think I've ever seen mini bundt cupcakes before, you are a first!

8. Agnes - August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Oooh the beater blade looks fantastic!

9. Iron Chef Shellie - September 1, 2009 at 8:52 am

Hi Vincent – Thanks I'll check it out.

Hi Maria – It really is an awesome beater!
    Mini bundts are so cute, as soon as I saw the pan I knew I was buying it!

Hi Agnes – Certainly is a tops invention!

10. Green Tea - January 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

Green Tea Weight Loss