“ Week 26 Theme: Green Cookbook Used: Afternoon Tea Author: Australian Women’s Weekly Hope you like the new layout! Bare with me as I’m still tweaking it and getting it to out I want it. I thought I was stumped for green week. I had two soups as possible ideas but then remembered things like green...”

Week 26
Theme: Green
Cookbook Used: Afternoon Tea
Author: Australian Women’s Weekly

I thought I was stumped for green week. I had two soups as possible ideas but then remembered things like green curry, green tea and then of course; pisatchios. I am still working my way through my massive bag of pistachios I got from Costco. Looking at the expiry date on it, I better use more pistachios before July!

I’ve tried making macarons before (the Australian Women’s Weekly spells them macaroOns… don’t ask me why). The last batch was pretty woeful. Whilst they tasted good they didn’t really look like a macaron the day after as the ganache had made them all soggy. This batch was my most successful batch. Whilst they looked browner than the picture in the cookbook, possibly from a slight overcooking; the macarons had feet and stayed together overnight. I was rather chuffed to actually have something that looked like a proper macaron!

Biting in, the marshmallowy centre was slightly overcooked, but all flavours worked well together. My ganache was still fairly runny by the time I used it. Perhaps putting it in the fridge might have helped it set a bit more. Next time I won’t leave them in the oven for so long!

Pistachio, White Chocolate and Honey French Macaroons
The Australian Women’s Weekly

Get your hands on:
1/3 cup (45g) unsalted, roasted, shelled pistachios
3 egg whites

1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
green food colouring
1 1/4 cups (200g) icing sugar
3/4 cup (90g) ground almonds
Honey white chocolate ganache
1/4 cup (60ml) (single) cream
155g (5 ounces) white eating chocolate, chopped coarsley
2 teaspoons honey

1. Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper. (I would do this after you have finished making the macaroons as they have to set for 30 minutes before you put them in the oven)

2. Process nuts until finely ground.

3. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and few drops colouring, beat until sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to large bowl. Fold in 1/4 cup of the ground pistachios, sifted icing sugar and ground almonds in two batches.

4. Spoon mixture into piping bag fitting with 1cm (1/2 inch) plain tube. Pipe 4cm (1 1/2 inch) rounds about 2.5cm (1 inch) apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macaroons spread slightly. Sprinkle macaroons with remaining ground pistachios; stand 30 minutes.

5. Bake macaroons about 20 minutes, cool on trays.

6. Make the honeyed white chocolate ganache: bring cream to the boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat; pour over chocolate and honey in small bowl; stir until smooth. Stand at room temperature until spreadable.

7. Sandwich macaroons with ganache.

Makes 16.

Comments

15 comments on “Week 26 – The Cookbook Challenge: Pistachio, White Chocolate and Honey French Macaroons
  1. mademoiselle délicieuse - May 13, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Congratulations on the feet! And I like the new layout too – esp because of the little cupcakes everywhere. Very cute =)

2. Anonymous - May 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

i love the new background/layout!! you have a beautiful blog that inspires me! Thankyou.

from anon (Melbourne)

3. chocolatesuze - May 14, 2010 at 12:28 am

<3 the new layout dude! and heh macarawwwwns

4. Esz - May 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

So pretty! I LOVE the new blog layout too. Nice and wide and a cool background 😀

5. imasugarjunkie - May 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm

What a great new layout!!
    And I am jealous of those macarons! they look fantastic and as they should. Well done

6. Hannah - May 14, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Well done! And with pistachios, too, my currently one-of-favourite-sweet flavours. Perfect little feet :) Probably a bit tastier than the supermarket macarons I blogged about 😀

7. Ange - May 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Love them, they look so delicious, can just imagine how they taste right now

8. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - May 14, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Excellent new layout Shellie!

Bloody good macarOOns too. Not a white choc person but I imagine it would go very well with the pistachios and honey. Maybe you could just eat bowls of pistachios, honey and melted chocolate to get through the massive bag :)

9. Jeanne - May 15, 2010 at 7:32 am

Just love your New Page Shellie, and also the Yom Look of them there Macaroons to. Your Pic's have certainly made me just want to 'Mung'
    into one at first sight? But nup they are only pics. Well done on all counts. Another one one my want to taste list Shellie?
    Hugs,
    Jeanne. x :)

10. Cherry Blossom Cupcakes - May 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

I've had my eye on that book for a few weeks now, might have to bite the bullet and buy it! Those macarons (aren't macaroons those coconut biscuits?) look fantastic.

11. What's For Tea? - May 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm

These look delicious!

Loving the new layout too – great stuff :)

12. emma - May 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm

two things
    yum!! you've combined my love of all things white chocolate and pistachio. i need to try these!

secondly – WOW! your new layout looks amazing!

13. cheap bus hire - May 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Nice, Thanks for sharing this. Great Blog!

14. chitchatchomp@yahoo.com.au - May 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Your new layout is wonderful and the macaroons look fantastic! Wish I was munching on one of them right now! Leigh

15. April @ My Food Trail - May 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Loving the new look on your blog! :)

Yay for feet on the macarons/macaroons!