Chocolate Beer Cake

“Whilst catching up on my reading of other blogs, I came across this recipe for chocolate and beer on Pikelet and Pie’s blog. As soon as I read the title, I knew I was going to make it.  I wondered what the flavour combination would taste like, and I knew Hamsley wouldn’t have a problem...”

Recipes | March 31, 2010
Chocolate Beer Cake

Chocolate Beer Cake

I wondered what the flavour combination would taste like, and I knew Hamsley wouldn’t have a problem with chocolate and beer being united in cake form.

Hamsley and Mum commented that they couldn’t really taste the beer, but I was sure that I could. It was a nice light cupcake, mostly likely caused by the bubbles in the beer. I would make this again, I’m sure it would be a hit with men if you dragged them along to an afternoon tea!

Chocolate Beer Cake

2/3 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Ganache:100g dark chocolate
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 2 1/2 cup muffin trays really well. Heat beer and butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat. When it starts to simmer, remove from heat and whisk cocoa powder through, taking care to stir out any mischievous lumps.

2. Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, spices and salt together to mix. Beat eggs and sour cream together until thoroughly combined. Pour chocolate/beer mix into the eggs and beat to combine. Fold dry ingredients in until just combined. Ladle batter into prepared pan and bake for about 10 – 15 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. If you don’t have two muffin pans, or have only one shelf in the oven.

3. For Ganache: Heat cream and coffee in a small pan. When bubbling remove from heat and stir through chopped chocolate. Continue stirring until chocolate has melted and is glossy and thick. Cool until it is the correct consistency for icing. Ice cakes when they are completely cool.

Chocolate Beer Cake

Comments

10 comments on “Chocolate Beer Cake
  1. mademoiselle délicieuse - March 31, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Haha, tell men there's beer in something and they'll most definitely eat it! Loving the molten chocolate ooze…

2. Sara - March 31, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Going to have to have a go at the beer cake for Mac, he is a guiness man through and through.

3. penny aka jeroxie - March 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I read somewhere today about beer hotcross buns! And now this. I think a trend is catching on. YUM

4. BuBbles - April 1, 2010 at 8:30 am

Seriously droolworthy! Beer and chocolate – two of my most favourite things 😉

5. Vic - April 1, 2010 at 8:37 am

use a tripod

6. FFichiban - April 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

Mmmm beer and chocolate! There has been a trend of it recently hasn't there? Sooo goods but :)

7. Esz - April 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Oh I love this cake. Made it once before years ago. Thanks for reminding me about it 😀

8. Fiona - April 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm

our tuppoerware lady does a coke and chocolate microwave cake.

9. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - April 7, 2010 at 10:20 am

Damn mischievous lumps, hiding in the mix. We'll show them!

You're lucky to have a Guinness finishofferer. I don't like to drink Guinness, despite the fact that I would like to like it, and I hate to waste it when a recipe doesn't use a whole can.

Your cakes look delicious. I love the G&B garnish :)

10. Erin@TheFoodMentalist - August 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm