Lime, Polenta & Ricotta Cake

“Sometimes things look prettier than they taste. This is one of those things. And in case you think things are always smooth sailing in my kitchen, you are wrong! These unfortunately looked prettier than they tasted, but a few tweaks and it will be gorgeous.”

Recipes | January 19, 2014
Lime Ricotta Polenta Cakes_FEATURE IMAGE
Lime, Polenta & Ricotta Cake

Lime, Polenta & Ricotta Cake

I’m always wary of trying recipes from people/books I haven’t used before. This is from the cute boys that are The Blue Ducks. This recipe seemed like one I should try as I had excess ricotta, a load of limes on hand, all I needed was the polenta. Dad has voiced his disgust for polenta, but I was going to try this recipe anyway and serve it to him. Because, well frankly; I’m a terrible, horrible daughter. 😛

The picture in the book was made using a loaf tin, but it looked *yawn town* boring. It also said it would be more of a firm cake, and should be served with cream and fruit. I didn’t want a sad looking loaf cake, so I used the mini bundt tins Mother Christmas got me for Christmas. I had extra mixture so filled some other random moulds to use up the batter. Half of those ended up tipping over in the oven, leaving me with an oven that had a mini explosion!

Measuring out all the ingredients and I didn’t really think much, I think I was just in autopilot mode measuring and following. There was a lot of salt though, which of course resulted in a salty cake. I didn’t like it at all; I couldn’t even finish half a slice. Grandma, who I’m sure was just being polite, said it was good, and she put jam on it as we were also eating scones for afternoon tea. She kept telling me it was good with jam. I’m not convinced 😛

So I’ve added the recipe anyway and reduced the salt significantly if you still wish to try it! For me, I don’t think I’d make it again, I prefer lighter, fluffiercakes.

Lime, Polenta and Ricotta Cake
Ingredients
  1. 110g fine (instant) polenta
  2. 200g almond meal
  3. 1 tsp baking powder
  4. a pinch of sea salt
  5. 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  6. 180g caster sugar
  7. 3 eggs
  8. zest and juice of 3 limes
  9. 250g fresh ricotta
  10. Extra ricotta, cream and berries to serve.
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Grease a 23cm x 13cm x 8cm loaf pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until it turns white. Still beating, slowly add the eggs until completely mixed. Then fold in the dry ingredients by hand. Finally, fold in the zest, juice and ricotta. Try and keep the ricotta fairly chunky.
  4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. To check if it's cooked, insert a skewer into the centre - if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Iron Chef Shellie https://ironchefshellie.com/

Lime, Polenta & Ricotta Cake

Comments

10 comments on “Lime, Polenta & Ricotta Cake
  1. Melanie Hall - January 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Well, no use crying over spilt polenta Shellie and even though the case was disappointing, the styling is gorgeous! I must admit that I tend to agree with your Dad on the matter of polenta…

2. Melanie Hall - January 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I really hate predictive spelling – clearly that should be cake not case!

3. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - January 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Three of my favourite cake ingredients all together! Yum! How much salt was in the original recipe? I wonder if it was a typo?

4. everyrecipe.co.nz - January 21, 2014 at 1:00 am

Hi ironchefshellie,

It is noticeable that there is a great number of tasty recipes on your site and we would like to suggest you to have a look at the “Top Food Blog” section on our recently launched site, the http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz . Our site is a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from all major worldwide blogs and websites in one place.

We would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog or site to the list and have your recipes indexed on our site, all you have to do is just add your blog URL here: http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz/add-your-food-blog

Our project is one of the biggest in the world, and it’s already live in 37 countries, including countries in Europe, America, Asia, Middle-East, New Zealand, Australia, South America and South Africa. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive at least 10,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.

Service is totally free. No money involved

This is something you can do to make your blog more visible and be exposed to a lot of people around the world. This can help your blog page to get more visitors and increase traffic.

Hopefully your food blog/site will be up there in the top!

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at

info@everyrecipe.co.nz

Warm regards,

5. Kristy @ Southern In Law - January 21, 2014 at 7:18 am

Yum! These look so delicious – and so cute! The mini bundt tins were DEFINITELY the right choice!

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 21, 2014 at 8:25 am

these are so so sooooo cute shellie!

7. milkteaxx - January 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

i love our mini cake tins! awesome photos as per usual!

8. GourmetGetaways - January 22, 2014 at 2:10 pm

What a shame!!
    They look so beautiful, I thought the would be amazing….
    …maybe with less salt… do you think something was missing from the recipe??
    As always your pictures are gorgeous :)

9. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - January 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm

OMG those little bundt tins are just too cute – love it. What a shame they weren’t as good as they look.