Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings

“January is a busy month; Chinese New Year, Australia Day, Blog’s Birthday & Hamsley’s Birthday (and my lovely friend Katie’s Birthday!!). So you will be getting a range of everything this month. I had this recipe in the ‘to try’ pile for a while now and finally decided it was time to give it a...”

Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings

Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings

I had this recipe in the ‘to try’ pile for a while now and finally decided it was time to give it a go. Well, let me just say, I had fun learning this new crimping pattern, and found it all rather soothing as I was zen and in the zone, but was rather disappointed with the taste. I found the Chinese 5-spice and coriander too over powering.

Does anyone have an awesome dumpling recipe they can share?!

What are your favourite fillings?

Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings

Chrissy Freer

3 dried shiitake mushrooms (see note)
250g chicken mince
3 spring onions, white part only, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tbs finely chopped coriander
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey25 round wonton wrappers

1. Chicken & shiitake: Soak mushrooms in boiling water for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain, then finely chop. Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Prawn & scallop: Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
  3. Place the wonton wrappers on a clean surface and cover with a damp cloth so they do not dry out. Working with a few at a time, place a teaspoon of the filling in the centre of each wrapper.
  4. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of each wrapper with a little water.
  5. Fold each wrapper in half, enclosing the filling to form a semicircle. Pinch the edges of each wrapper together to form a frill. Alternatively, bring in 3 sides of each wrapper to join at the centre, to form a triangle-shaped dumpling.
  6. Line a steamer (bamboo or metal) with baking paper. Half fill a wok or steamer base with water (the steamer holding the dumplings shouldn’t touch the water) and bring to the boil. Cooking in batches, place 6-8 dumplings in the steamer, place over boiling water and cover with a lid. Steam for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with the dipping sauce.

Makes 25.

Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings

Comments

13 comments on “Chicken & Shiitake Dumplings
  1. Vien @ We Dare Food - January 18, 2012 at 12:43 am

YUM! I love home-made dumplings! But I tend to be a little greedy and end up stuffing too much filling! ;P
    hmm.. I made an interesting one recently for my vegetarian grandma! The filling was made out of mashed pumpkin, toasted pine nuts, coriander & finely sliced chilli! Tasted pretty awesome!! 😀

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 18, 2012 at 7:07 am

Your dumplings look flawless! Mmm. Your photography is impeccable too!

3. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - January 18, 2012 at 7:20 am

These look delicious. What a shame the taste did not live up to appearances.

4. tania@mykitchenstories - January 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Shame about the flavour. I wondered what the five spice would taste like when I read the recipe. Sadly I have none to share.

5. Michelle chin - January 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Ooh they look pretty!

My previous flatmate puts in water chestnuts, minced mushrooms, minced carrots and celery plus minced pork as fillings. Lots of salt and pepper is needed though.

6. Carol-Anne - January 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Hi Michele, I just discovered your website. It’s gorgeous. I have always wanted to make dumplings and you make it look so easy and delicious :) I think you may just have inspired me!

7. msihua - January 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Very pretty and I love chicken and mushrooms. So these will come in handy one day :)

8. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Ohh these dumplings are so pretty :) I’ve never managed to make my dumplings look very good.

A friend of mine who’s dad is a chef at a Chinese Restaurant once gave me a recipe for pork and vegetable dumplings ~ i’ll see if I can find it and email it you hehe ~

Have a wonderful Chinese New Year!

9. Gourmet getaways - January 22, 2012 at 7:28 am

Hubby absolutely loves dumplings!!! I know he would love these. Although 25 would probably only just satisfy him 😉

Your photo’s are just gorgeous, really amazing! I can imagine them in a cookbook :) great job.

Happy Chinese New Year

10. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

How stunning are your dumplings!!! Perfect and lovely filling as well.

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 23, 2012 at 5:56 am

mmm they look great, love the crimping! But sadly no, no recipe from me. I’m yet to truly get my dumpling on. I so want to, though. Wouldn’t it be fab – one lazy sunday, hanging out making dumplings. Can’t wait! Happy January!

12. Nic@diningwithastud - February 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

I totally need to perfect my wrapping skills. Im ok with the filling, they’re just ugly lol. Your wrapping skills are fab!!