Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges

“The silly season is already in full swing, and it’s probably a bad time to be trying to shed some kilos. I had my weigh in and measurement check with my PT today, and the good news is I’ve lost 12.5 cm over all (legs, arms, waist, etc…)! So whilst the number on the scales...”

Recipes | December 5, 2011
Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges

Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges

The silly season is already in full swing, and it’s probably a bad time to be trying to shed some kilos. I had my weigh in and measurement check with my PT today, and the good news is I’ve lost 12.5 cm over all (legs, arms, waist, etc…)! So whilst the number on the scales might not have moved that much, there is still some things going my way! Yay!!

With Melbourne’s weather going from one extreme to the other, I was in the mood for something warm and comforting on the days of endless rain. I did manage a run such a day with my iPhone in a zip lock bag. The best part, I was able to use the touch screen through the zip lock bag!! I was lucky enough to be home in time before it started to really pour down again.

So this recipe intrigued me, cornflake coated chicken for a healthier version of chicken nuggets. I personally couldn’t taste the cornflakes, but Hamsley could. I did have mine with lemon, where as he did not. I also used my Airfryer for the chips, instead of using the oven.

They are very filling, even without the chips and salad. Just don’t over cook your chicken!

Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges

CISRO Cookbook

4 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
olive oil spray
lemon wedges, to serve

Nuggets:
600g chicken breast fillets. trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (75g) cornflakes, bashed into crumbs
olive oil spray

1. Preheat oven to 200ΒΊC.

2. Spray the potato wedges with olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning from time to time. Or airfry them like I did…. you need a Phillips Airfryer though.

3. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper and prepare the chicken. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg and then into the cornflake crumbs to coat. Place in a single layer on the baking tray, spray with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.

4. Serve the wedges and nuggets with lemon wedges and your favourite salad or steamed vegetables.

Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges

Comments

15 comments on “Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Potato Wedges
  1. Winston - December 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Coool…! My dad fries fish pieces with cornflakes too! And weetbix. And nestum in Malaysia. I don’t know why he likes frying stuff with cereal but I love it haha. Oh, and WELL DONE with the positive progress in your training! This plate of deep-fried goodness is well deserved, I say! =D

2. Mez - December 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Yaaayayayayaayaa this looks deeeeeeeeeeelicious!!! I’d totally do this with fish too for FISH NUGGETS!!!

Yum, yum!!

Going to whip this baby up during the week!

xox

3. penny aka jeroxie - December 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm

12.5cm is a great result! Go girl :)

4. Vien @ We Dare Food - December 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Wow! Congrats on losing those centimetres! πŸ˜€
    My grandma used to make pork chops using cornflakes or smashed Hap Seng biscuits! Brings back memories….

5. leaf (the indolent cook) - December 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm

The cornflakes must give those nuggets amazing crunch! :)

6. Flower - December 6, 2011 at 4:54 am

Wow I’ve never thought of using cornflakes! So glad I’ve found an alternative to bread crumbs! It’s so annoying when I’ve run out now I can just use cornflakes yay :)
    Congrats with losing 12.5cm!!! ~

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme - December 6, 2011 at 7:41 am

There’s nothing better than home made chicken nuggets. Never would have thought to crust them in corn flakes! Genius πŸ˜€ Definitely a treat I can make for the nephews!

8. Hannah - December 6, 2011 at 8:34 am

It’s a clear indicator of how little I exercise that I had to look up “PT”. Oops. These look yum! Kinda wondering if they’d work with rice bubbles. No matter how many rice bubble slices I make, the box never seems to finish…

9. Nic@diningwithastud - December 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

Weight loss around Christmas?? If you can do that – you can do anything Missy!! Great job πŸ˜€ Thats awesome!

10. Michelle chin - December 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

wow. this sounds really healthy but this also means that i should consider an airfryer in my apartment. does it emit a lot of smell from the frying?

11. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - December 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

Well done on the cm loss! These look great and so healthy. I must admit while I don’t need to lose any weight, I also don’t need to gain any and that is very hard at this time of year. Your light and tasty recipes are great inspiration.

12. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - December 7, 2011 at 12:23 am

I really want to get an air fryer (hello Santa?) My grandmother put me on to using cornflakes as crumbs, she use to use them for her pork schnitzel. (though I think they were the commercially bought crumb mix).

13. Kelly - December 7, 2011 at 1:30 am

I have no idea what PT is but congrates on the 12.5cm loss, great achievement. And this recipe looks great… Now I know what to do with my cereal…

14. Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne - December 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Don’t let the weight fool you – I always lose weight when I stop exercising because muscle is heaps heavier than fat! 12.5cm is awesome!! And you could’ve fooled me with that cornflake crust, looks just like panko πŸ˜‰

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 9, 2011 at 6:35 am

yum! & that’s amazing about the cms, truly. Around Christmas it’s so hard, the goal is to not put on weight, really! haha. But you’ve done so well with those cms. & I far far far prefer going by that & fit of clothes than the number on the scale, which can fluctuate so easily.