Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam

A slice of Malaysia right here in Melbourne.

Travel & Dining

Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam
August 12, 2011
Dining

Let's Be Friends

Subscribe to my newsletter to stay in touch and be first in line for new recipes and regular subscriber-only treats.

Click to Subscribe

Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam

I’ve been wanting to try Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam for quite some time now, but it was quite out of the way for someone on the east side to check out on a whim. So I asked a fellow food blogger and and her family (hubby + two kids aged 1 and 5) to join me for a Malaysian lunch feast.

Mamak Kopitiam is a concept store with an emphasis on Malaysian Indigenous Malay + Indian + Chinese food. The atmosphere was light and bright, despite the weather outside being cold and grey.

We started off with some drinks…. and by some drinks, I mean we ordered more drinks than people!

We ordered so much food, we should have worn stretchy pants to accommodate our slowly expanding bellies.

We got ours with beef slices. You can alternatively get it with mixed vegetables or king prawns, scallops, prawns and pipis, just like the Char Kway Teow.

Goes perfectly with the pickled chilli that comes with it. Plenty of gravy to help slurp up the noodles.

Chillipadi Mamak - Curry Laksa

Curry Laksa – $9.90

Hokkien noodle, bee hoon, bean sprouts, tofu, fish cake slices, with spiced coconut broth

We went with the chicken option, rather than the seafood one. The addition on cucumber on top which I’ve not had before added a refreshing element, and helped sooth the mouth with the spiciness of the broth.

I can highly recommend you check out Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam. The prices are more than reasonable, the food was fantastic, and the service was outstanding. The waiter paid special attention to our little diners, bringing colouring books, and special plates and cutlery.

Children dine free Monday & Tuesday too, so extra incentive for you to go if you have little ones.

Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.

Comments

11 comments on “Chillipadi Mamak Kopitiam
  1. Bianca

:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL of those dishes look amazing, and the drinks…. Wow! Milo drinks!? Love it 😀 I had milo icecream at a pan-Asian restaurant last night! This place is totally out of the way for me, but I am definately going to have to drag my partner here for the Char Kway Teow, Curry Laksa, and Hainanese Chicken (hoping it comes in a smaller serve?)! Thanks for this post 😀

August 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm
    • Iron Chef Shellie

Don’t worry Bianca, this place was completely on the other side of town for me too, but worth it!!

August 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm
      • Bianca

Oh, Shellie! I just realised we will be passing by this on our way home next Sunday! :O We currently live in Ballarat and visit Melbourne every fortnight or so, and our route back home takes us up Flemington Road to Citylink, but we must make a minor detour and stop off here on the way. Words cannot express my excitement right now! 😉

August 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm
        • Iron Chef Shellie

SO MUCH WIN!! 😀 enjoy!

August 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm
  2. Hannah

I so long to try Teh Tarik one day! And now I’m off to vote 🙂

August 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm
    • Iron Chef Shellie

Thanks Hannah! xo

August 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm
  3. msihua

Man..looking at those drinks.. I’m so thirsty now and want to go to the Mamak!!

August 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm
  4. Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne

Oh yum! Pipis to replace the traditional cockles in char kuay teow – how clever! And I have NEVER had scallops in char hor fun. Fancy stuff!!

August 13, 2011 at 4:04 am
  5. Michelle chin

I live just 10 minutes away from this place. hehe. walking i mean.

August 13, 2011 at 9:33 am
  6. penny aka jeroxie

Ha…. I live just round the corner.

August 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm
  7. Ashley

Love the milo dinosaur…mmmm! 🙂

August 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm
Tags  >>

All content on this site is by Shellie Froidevaux - aka Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include recipe development, food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography, restaurant photography on location, styling and shooting social media for her clients and photography workshops for people who really want to change their game :)