Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

Travel & Dining

Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking
December 30, 2010
Travel

Let's Be Friends

Subscribe to my newsletter to stay in touch and be first in line for new recipes and regular subscriber-only treats.

Click to Subscribe

Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

Today the delightful Miss A and I went out to Silvan to pick some cherries and other berries. I had read about a cherry picking place in the latest Delicious magazine and thought it might be a fun thing to do whilst enjoying the sunshine. Then a friend on facebook posted some photos of Chappies which seemed like a much closer destination for us to head to. We picked Simone cherries from trees that were 5 years old. The cherries were so plump, sweet and juicy, not like the crap you get from the supermarket. We were told to pick with the stalks on as the cherries will last for a week, rather than 2-3 days. We were also told we could eat as much as we liked, but not too many or we would end up on the toilet for 3 days, and the 3rd day would be very painful!

So anyway, here is a collection of photos from the day. It was a great day out, and I’m looking forward to going again next year!

Chappies
21-23 Parker Rd, Silvan VIC 3795
Phone: (03) 9737 9534
Website: www.upick.com.au

Comments

17 comments on “Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking
  1. Mez

Gorgeous!!! Love the idea of cherry picking. I’ve only ever gone strawberry picking. This is so something H and I could do in the holidays.

December 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm
  2. GourmetGetaways

Ohhh! They look beautiful!

So plump and delicious, I am sure they would taste so good!

I took my kids Strawberry picking and they thought it was great. We weren’t allowed to eat any strawberries while we picked though
    πŸ™ …. but we had a few πŸ™‚

December 31, 2010 at 4:47 am
  3. kristy @ ksayerphotography

What a fun day out! I’d love to go fruit picking, of any sort!

December 31, 2010 at 6:37 am
  4. MEAN EIRENE

Oh they’re so plump! I like how the quality of the images reflect the beauty of the fruit. Looks like heaps of fun.

December 31, 2010 at 7:14 am
  5. @CooksJournal

Wow cherries & berries, didn’t know this place existed – will have to go check it out. What will you make? Can’t wait to see.. (let me taste?) πŸ™‚

December 31, 2010 at 8:06 am
  6. Hannah

Oh, *so* envious!! I used to love berry picking with my family at New Year’s, but then the drought hit and our favourite (and only nearby) berry farms closed down πŸ™ I wonder if there are any near Canberra these days?

December 31, 2010 at 11:51 am
  7. msihua

that’s a lottttta cheeries!! We picked so many ones on a very hot summer that they went off….!!! Be sure to take care of them πŸ™‚

December 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm
  8. Esz

Omg I love cherries! I must get out there. Nomnomnom!

December 31, 2010 at 1:11 pm
  9. Michelle

I’ve never done any cherry picking or something like that before. I wish someone would be willing enough to drive me to such places to do such activities! I love cherries!

December 31, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  10. mademoiselle dΓ©licieuse

I’ve never been berry-picking but have always wanted to. Look at the size of them!

Happy New Year, Shellie =)

December 31, 2010 at 7:00 pm
  11. Anna Johnston

What a nice idea going out for a day in the sun & picking your own berries, love it πŸ™‚ Happy New Year Shellie – hope its a fabulous one for you & yours πŸ™‚

January 1, 2011 at 9:31 am
  12. Ellie (Almost Bourdain)

Gorgeous!! What a great day out. Happy New Year, Shellie!

January 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm
  13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed

Oh I love cherry picking! I grew up in a cherry area. I can’t remember the last time that I actually picked them myself though. Shame on me. One of my best friends broke her leg after falling from a cherry tree when we were picking cherries as youngsters. maybe you’re not supposed to actually climb the trees πŸ™‚
    and raspberries and blackberries are so delicious! one of mother nature’s best creations imo πŸ™‚

January 2, 2011 at 11:48 am
  14. Agnes

OH I want to go! Gah I always forget each year until it’s too late. Pls remind me near the end of this year that I want to go cherry picking πŸ™‚

January 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm
    • Iron Chef Shellie

lol, I’ll try to remember then πŸ˜› I’ll be going so no doubt you’ll hear me bang on about it!

January 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm
Tags  >>

All content on this site is by Shellie Froidevaux - aka Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include recipe development, food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography, restaurant photography on location, styling and shooting social media for her clients and photography workshops for people who really want to change their game :)