Random All Sorts

“I have this tool, because of Martha Stewart. I recently saw the light, that I could set Martha’s show to record whilst I’m at work. So when it was my turn to have some TV time, I was watching her show and there was a cupcake special. They kept using an ice-cream scoop as it...”

Recipes | November 13, 2010
Random All Sorts

Random All Sorts

I have this tool, because of Martha Stewart. I recently saw the light, that I could set Martha’s show to record whilst I’m at work. So when it was my turn to have some TV time, I was watching her show and there was a cupcake special. They kept using an ice-cream scoop as it was the perfect size for putting cupcake batter in cupcake wrappers for baking. Genius. I thought “I don’t need one of them”, but the more I thought about it, and saw it happening, I had to get one. Turns out you can get smaller ones for cookies too, the cake decorating shop that just opened up in Malvern told me what the small size was for… I thought it was for making truffles!

I have this because of Nigella Lawson. I resisted buying one as I thought they were only for chopping herbs. But watching Nigella’s DVD, she has shown me it’s great for chopping anything like chocolate and nuts.

Nigella also inspired me to start my cookie cutter collection. Coming up to Christmas, it was just as good a time than any; ginger bread men and ladies to be made! I picked up these ninja bread men cutters too for a bit of fun, I love Fred products!

I finally bought a mortar and pestle. It has been on my list for a while, but after seeing lots of Poh’s Kitchen, and making more exotic dishes…. banging things with my rolling pin is now a thing of the past. Hopefully my neighbours didn’t think I was doing any heavy construction with all the noise I was making!

Can I just say, that if you are also indeed of kitchen gadgets, make sure you have a General Trader VIP card! You get 5% off full priced stuff, so buying all my gadgets wasn’t as expensive as it could have been. Matchbox also have a loyalty card, but you don’t get instant discounts, you accumulate dollars, then they send you a voucher once you’ve reached a certain limit. Any other loyalty programs? Don’t tell me, I don’t need the temptation!

Of course there is my KitchenAid which is my favourite kitchen gadget. I order another Beater Blade from Fully Baked, as it’s just the best when it comes to mixing. I don’t have to stop the beating process to scrape down the sides, the beater blade does it all for me! I also ordered a gorgeous little cover for it from Everything’s Covered on Etsy. The hardest part was choosing which fabric to get. I love the little pocket sewn in the front. I keep the manual and DVD in there. One day I might actually get time to look at them! Whilst I was pretty annoyed that Costco got in the more powerful model the week I received mine, for LESS than I made for my Artisan, I eventually got over it…. well no, I haven’t. The thing that consoles me is, I have a pretty mulberry colour, and not red. Don’t get me wrong, I like the red, but it seems everyone these days has the red!

A very early Christmas present from my parents was my Sunbeam Multi Processor Plus.
I needed both a blender and food processor. So instead of buying two bulky appliances, I decided on one that has them both! It was a choice between the Sunbeam or the Breville. Despite the annoying Sunbeam song that plagues us during Masterchef, Sunbeam won. It was the ice crushing and juicing function that made it come up on top. This summer, I’ll be making my own slurpies!

I finally found a cute kitchen timer. I no longer have to run around and find my phone to activate a timer!

Any they are just SOME of the gadgets and tools I have in my kitchen. The list will never end….

Whilst I read a lot of food blogs, I read some that will hardly or never mention food. I have no idea how I cam across Melbourne Mumma, but I love reading her blog, finding out what her and are little munchkins are up to, and often find myself agreeing with many things she says. A short while ago she did a post on jazzing up her kitchen window sill. This provided me with some inspiration. Whilst I am standing at the sink washing the dishes, I want something nice to look at too, and make it look more pretty overall. Here is what is sitting on mine. What’s sitting on yours?

I hope to update you all on my herb and fruit garden soon, waiting for my tomato plant to start producing tomatoes first!

Any endorsements were made independently from Iron Chef Shellie’s own personal experiences.

Random All Sorts

Comments

37 comments on “Random All Sorts
  1. michelle - November 13, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I envy you. Your kitchen is near a window. HUHUHUHUHU. T_T Mine is so far away from one = bad ventilation, bad lightning. :(

2. Melbourne Mumma - November 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Thanks so much for the mention! And your window sill looks lovely…love the candle. Especially important for you seeing as you spend so much time in the kitchen! x

3. GourmetGetaways - November 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I love all your gadgets, they are so practical! I am the gadget queen but all mine are multi purpose too… or very pretty at least 😉 The Mulberry Mixer is just the best! I love the colour :) I have started a run on cookies cutters too, my favourite is a teddy. Great story!

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 13, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thanks! I wasn’t too sure if people would bother reading this post! Glad there are other gadget gurus out there!

4. Esz - November 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

My kitchen doesnt have a window near the sink – at least you’ve got a bit of a view. Bit of a tip with what looks like perfume on the window sill (is it Jo Malone) – that’s probably not the best place to keep it as the sun will destroy the scent eventually.
    😀

Wish I had a KitchenAid too – really need a mixer these days. I have my wizz-bang Magimix food-pro which is a beast but it is just too butch for baking ;-P

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm

It’s GRACE by Philosophy. I find the scent quite strong, but I love the little saying on the bottle, so if the scent goes I don’t mind, but thanks for the tip! I figured that might happen. I had loads of candles there first but I thought.. hot days – funky wax!

lol… too butch!! 😛

5. penny aka jeroxie - November 14, 2010 at 12:05 am

I have so much random stuff on my window sill. It changes most of the time 😛 But yes I do love my gadgets but no kitchen aid yet

6. fanny - November 14, 2010 at 2:50 am

i have the same food processor!! my girlfriends gave to me for my birthday (“so you can bake us more yummy goodness!”) hahaha..

the ‘metsaluna’ and mortar-pestle… which one do you think is more of a priority to buy? :\

btw new cake decorating shop in malvern? address please!!

thanks in advance!

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 14, 2010 at 4:27 pm

oh you have some fantastic girlfriends!! I’d say mortar and pestle is more priority. A knife can easily replace a metsaluna.
      CW Cakes – cnr Glenferrie Road and Station St

7. kristy @ ksayerphotography - November 14, 2010 at 6:00 am

I love kitchen gadgets 😛 I’m always buying random things that i’ll probably only ever use once or twice.
    It makes buying presents for me hard, but at least I know if I ever need some obscure utensil – i’ll probably have it 😛

8. Hannah - November 14, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Oh, so envious right now!! It’s going to be a billion years before I can afford a kitchen aid… stupid PhD poorness 😉 I desperately want a blender, too, with ice-crushing abilities so I can make awesome ice and ice cream smoothies in the summer 😀

9. Anna Johnston - November 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Oh you’ve discovered my weakness…., kitchen gadgets.., love your collection, good tips about savings with the discount card, tah.

10. Emma @CakeMistress - November 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I love the herb chopper too. It makes me feel like a sammurai going to town on my parsley, he he.
    Our kitchen window has some terracotta sunflowers in the corners and a sunflower clock set 1.5 hours behind the actual time. Not sure why, just none of us have been bothered fixing it in 18 months :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

lol! go you herb samurai you! haha, yes I have a clock somewhere that isn’t quite on time!

11. Conor @ Hold the Beef - November 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Ninja cookie cutters? Awesome. I think if I made some cookies with those and they spread out and were indistinguishable, I may cry.

12. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm

oh fun post! I envy your kitchen aid – but I will be getting one from my mum as a wedding present. A brilliant reason to get married if i ever heard one 😉 I LOVE your timer – so cute. And yay for finally getting a mortar & pestle. I love mine to death. A good workout too. for one arm…

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Ah yes, I always thought it would be on my wedding registry, but a savings jar helped me get it sooner 😛 Best reason to get married I say 😉

13. Jennifer (Delicieux) - November 15, 2010 at 10:11 am

I have used an ice cream scoop to put batter in cupcake papers for a long time, thanks to Nigella. It’s just so handy isn’t it? I also bought a mezzaluna because of her too. It’s so funny how TV chefs inspire your kitchen purchases. My next planned purchase is some All-Clad pans because I’ve seen Giade DeLaurentiis use them on her show.

Thanks for the link to the jazzing up your kitchen window sill. Only the other day I was thinking I needed to do something with mine :)

14. JanJan @ Cooking for My Love - November 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Lovely gadgets! Really like your ninja breadman 😛

15. Susan - November 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I love Kitchen gadgets too. I have just put in an order for a french oven and cast iron grill. Recently I bought a kitchen aid food processor which I use all the time. I don’t have a window in my kitchen either, which I don’t like :(

16. Vivienne - November 15, 2010 at 9:41 pm

nice! thanks for sharing your gadgets! i love shopping for them and need pretty much everything since i have none in my kitchen atm as ive just moved! the sunbeam food processor looks great! an early pressie indeed!

17. Tenina - November 26, 2010 at 10:50 am

Well I’m not going to lie…My bench is clear except for that ole fave of mine, the Thermomix…a gadget conspicuously missing in your kitchen run down….hmmmnn…might have to to sort that one out I think! :)