Eating Out: Straits Cafe

“Sa Hor Fun is the best dish here, it's a must order when you go!”

Dining | October 27, 2009
Eating Out: Straits Cafe

Eating Out: Straits Cafe

You know when your mum has had a really really tough day at work, when you get home and she is at the door waiting for you to arrive home to announce you are all going out for dinner… on a Tuesday. This is the kind of thing I would expect on Friday, or a Thursday; so I was quite surprised we were dining out on a Tuesday.
So I quickly ducked inside, put down all my stuff and, of course; grabbed my camera!

I had been to Straits a few times before but wasn’t a fan. I didn’t like the fact that they used what we started calling “plastic prawns”. You know the prawns that are precooked and looked like they have been soaking in chemicals. I hadn’t returned for a few years, but Mum had returned recently and was so impressed, she was looking forward to going again.

We ordered 3 dishes between the 3 of us. Penang char kueh teow arrived first, but Dad found this mild version to be too hot; and thus we ended up ordering a 4th dish to keep him happy. It was rather good, but I wanted more of a wok taste to it. This was still, one of the better ones I’ve had outside of Malaysia.
The seafood curry laksa wasn’t like a normal curry laksa. It had more of a sweet taste to it. I was wondering if it was a dominant lemongrass flavour, but Mum just said it was just sweeter than we were used to. Plenty of seafood, and I still enjoyed the flavour.

The sar hor fun was the most authentic dish of the night. It had a delicious gravy and a real wok flavour. So, so, so good!

The Hainanese chicken rice was the 4th dish ordered and it was just perfect. Delicious sauce, very tender chicken; I could have eaten it all.

I am looking forward to going back and trying another one of my favourite dishes; mee goreng.

Great for take away or dining in. I’m so glad that I’ve finally found some good Malaysian food in Melbourne. The best part about it is, it’s close to home too!
There is also a Straits Cafe in Doncaster, but I cannot say if it is as good as the Studfield restaurant.

A cooking post tomorrow my fellow lovers of food!

Eating Out: Straits Cafe

Comments

9 comments on “Eating Out: Straits Cafe
  1. Ellie - October 27, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Drooling!! So many good laces for Malaysian food in Melbourne. So few good ones in Sydney and they area all so far away from my home! Jealous!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - October 27, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Good to know that you had a nice meal there! Sounds like the dishes were quite a hit :)

3. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - October 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Love the colour on the curry laksa!

I hope the food fixed your Mum's tiredness. Maybe next time she's had a tough day some fudge would be in order 😉

4. Iron Chef Shellie - October 28, 2009 at 10:07 am

Hi Ellie – I haven't found that many in Melbourne yet. But this place is in the top 2!

Hi Lorraine – Yes indeedy =)

Hi Conor – Oh I know! haha, maybe the next time she is tired I will give her some fudge 😉

5. ms s loveridge - October 28, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Shellie,
    Nice pic!
    Straits Cafe is top 2 ey? Who's #1? :)

6. Iron Chef Shellie - October 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Hi Ms S Loveridge – Well it isn't really a #1.. they are both pretty even, but it's Rasa Malaya in Doncaster!

7. billy@ATFT - October 28, 2009 at 5:43 pm

hey that char kueh teow and wat dan hor looks good!!! you have to bring me there next time im in melbourne!

8. Iron Chef Shellie - October 28, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Hi Billy! Shall do my friend! Shall do =)

9. Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. - October 31, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Hey – been looking for a char kueh teow with lots of wok hei, does Rasa Malaya do that? My dad won't move here from Malaysia to be neare us because he can't bear to leave his neighbourhood char kueh teow seller can you believe it?? =o/