Eating Out: Cafe On Eaton

“Today I had my first “real” souvlaki. I’ve had a go at making them, but never had one from a rotating meat skewer before. We originally wanted to try a place called Orexi, but unfortunately when we got there, like most places in Oakleigh on a Sunday, it was closed. So we wondered up the...”

Dining | August 9, 2009
Eating Out: Cafe On Eaton

Eating Out: Cafe On Eaton

We originally wanted to try a place called Orexi, but unfortunately when we got there, like most places in Oakleigh on a Sunday, it was closed. So we wondered up the road and found Cafe on Eaton, with a welcoming atmosphere and a reasonably priced menu.

A good range of food on the menu, bound to suit everyone. But we were here for one thing, and one thing only, a souvlaki. Most people know souvlakis are the meal at the end of a big night of drinking and partying, but since I’ve never been a big drinker I guess this is why I have never had a souvlaki before! Well, this was lunch time, no drinking involved, just 3 hungry people wanting food!

Lamb Souvlaki – $9.00
Lamb, lettuce, tomato and tzatziki

The enormous souvlaki arrived on a plate, and I wondered if I was going to be able to eat it all!

I did manage to scoff the whole thing down, admittedly it did take me some time to get through. It fell apart half way through and I had to finish it off with a fork and knife.
It was sooooo delicous! The pita was so fresh, I wouldn’t be surprised it if it was made that day, with tender, succulent lamb, fresh salad and creamy, zesty yoghurt sauce. I couldn’t fault it. It was stuffed full of lamb it was coming out the other side. Definitely worth $9!

Yiros Plate – $11.00

Rob got the yiros plate, which is pretty much an open souvlaki on a plate. The menu says you get this with chips, but Rob requested no chips as we are on a bit of a health kick at the moment. I would have liked some chips in my souvlaki as George from Masterchef says the real Greek souvlakis have chips in them, and that’s how they are served at The Press Club.

Prices are very reasonable, the service we had was good, food came out fast. I’d definitely go back, but I think we will be doing a souvlaki tour of Oakleigh, since there is a big Greek community there.

Cafe On Eaton on Urbanspoon

Eating Out: Cafe On Eaton

Comments

8 comments on “Eating Out: Cafe On Eaton
  1. Conor - August 9, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Wow, what a right of passage 😀

My old local kebab shop made the BEST chips, and I would always have to order the 'meal deal' with chips even though it was a struggle to get through all the food just because the chips were always so great. It is probably a good thing that I no longer live within walking distance of that place.

2. Iron Chef Shellie - August 10, 2009 at 9:23 am

Hi Conor,
    Oh that sounds so bad for the waist line, get so good for the taste buds!!
    Sounds like an obesity maker 😛

3. Rilsta - August 10, 2009 at 9:28 am

I can't believe you haven't had a souvlaki before! The best ones are the ones freshly carved off the spit and the meat is so melt in the mouth soft! Yum! I haven't had souvlaki for a while… you are making me want one now!

4. Iron Chef Shellie - August 10, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Hi Rilsta,
    Yeah, I couldn't believe I've never had a proper "Souva" until now either. Oh the shame 😛

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - August 11, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yum! That looks delicious. I haven't had a souvlaki in a while but your pictures are making me want one for lunch today!

6. Iron Chef Shellie - August 11, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Hi Lorraine,
    Sorry for making you feel like a souva. Oh rats, now I feel like one too!

7. NGreek - April 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

2009 was the review it’s now 2011 and let me tell you all restaurants in Oakleigh are open on Sundays infact everyday ad many more have opened since your review so check them out and enjoy :-)

• Iron Chef Shellie - April 10, 2011 at 11:23 pm

orexi still isn’t open on a Sunday. We have since tired a few other places on Sundays.