Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake

“Inspired by the famous crepe cakes you can order at Jinda Thai, I wanted to recreate one at home but couldn't find a recipe anywhere. It's easier than you may think!”

Recipes | January 24, 2014

Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake

Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake_Title Image

I’m sure every year I say this, but; I still can’t believe I’m blogging. I was sure I wouldn’t even last 6 months. I can’t believe this humble little blog is still going.

It motivates me to push myself, be inspired, inspire others and provides me with a lot of work but a lot more joy.

Crepe cake Thai

So in keeping with tradition, of course I made a cake. Instead of just getting one that looked pretty in a book, I had to use my head and get thinking. When I went to Jinda Thai not too long ago with Toddy, Ewster, and Haz & Gaz; the must have item was the Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake. It was amazing. Thanh went next door and bought a rainbow one straight after dinner, then on a second visit bought another slice to take home. I couldn’t for the life of me find a recipe online for it, so I had to do some research on how I could do the filling between the crepes.

I also made a drizzle sauce which I swear I could just eat by the spoonful if no one would judge me. It was amazing if I may say so myself.

Thai Milk Tea Crepe Layer Cake Slice

I put my hat on as the cake express and promptly delivered nice big wedges of the cake, including the sauce to Toddy and Haz & Gaz where it was very well received. Lot of people have been requesting to try it, so I’ll be attempting to make two this weekend. Go hard or go home… wait I’ll already be home, how does that work?

Anyway, enjoy!

I will update the recipe if I find some elements not working out when I make it again this weekend.

Happy 6th Birthday Iron Chef Shellie :)

Thai_milktea_crepe_layer_cake

Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake

Adapted from Joy of Kosher – Mille Crepe Cake

Crepes

• 4 large eggs
  • 360ml milk
  • 240ml water
  • 300g plain flour
  • 6tbs melted butter
  • Butter, for coating the pan

Pastry Cream

• 3 Thai Milk Tea tea bags
  • 120ml boiling water
  • 420ml milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 55g corn-flour
  • 1 vanilla bean split (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
  • pinch salt
  • 1 leaf gold strength gelatine

Drizzle Sauce

• 3 Thai Milk Tea tea bags
  • 120ml boiling water
  • 420ml milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 55g corn-flour
  • 1 vanilla bean split (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
  • pinch salt

Assembly and To Serve

• 400g whipped cream
  • fresh mint, to serve

For the crepes:

1. In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking.) The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.
  2. Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 2-3 tbs of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool, you can stack the crepes, they will not stick to each other.
  3. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can store the crepes in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months.

For the Thai milk tea pastry cream:

1. In medium bowl, whisk together 120ml Thai milk tea, egg yolks, 75g sugar, and cornstarch.
  2.  Transfer the remaining Thai milk tea to heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and the seed and the pod to the pan and add the salt. Sprinkle the remaining  sugar over, letting sugar sink undisturbed to bottom. Set pan over moderate heat and bring to simmer without stirring.
  3. Whisk hot milk mixture, then gradually whisk into egg yolk mixture (this is called tempering). You want to do this slowly or you will have scrambled eggs.
  4. Return to saucepan over moderate heat and cook, whisking constantly, until pastry cream simmers and thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, discard vanilla pod, and whisk cream until smooth. Transfer to bowl and press plastic wrap or parchment directly onto surface. Chill until cold, about 4 hours. (Pastry cream can be made ahead and refrigerated, wrapped well with plastic wrap or parchment on surface, up to 3 days.)

For the Thai milk tea drizzle sauce:

1. Follow the steps as above for the pastry cream, except cook for a little longer to make it thicker. Be sure to keep whisking to ensure you don’t end up with lumpy bits down the bottom. I found whisking then transferring to a large mixing bowl, then back into the saucepan a few times to be really helpful.

Assemble the cake:

1. Soak gelatine leave in cold water for about 15 minutes.
  2. Use the base of an 18cm cake tin as a template to trim the crepes to size. Then line the base and sides of the tin, ready for assembly.
  3. Place one crepe in the cake tin. Spread one tablespoon of pastry cream evenly over the crepe. Lay your next crepe on the bench or a plate and spread evenly with one tablespoon of whipped cream. Carefully pick it up and lay it over the crepe in the cake tin, cream side down. Continue with pastry cream and whipped cream until the final crepe has been added. Or until around 13 layers high.
  4. Squeeze excess water from the gelatine leaves, add to the remaining pastry cream and gently heat and stir over a stove until gelatine is dissolved. Pour this on top of the crepe cake and smooth the top.
  5. Chill the cake for 2 hours or overnight to firm up.
  6. Serve with whipped cream and fresh mint.

Comments

33 comments on “Thai Milk Tea Crepe Cake
  1. Terri - January 24, 2014 at 11:08 am

Wow! Such an impressive creation! And congratulations on 6 years – what a HUGE achievement! x

2. Lili Tu - January 24, 2014 at 11:11 am

Your cake looks superb! Congratulations!

3. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

Happy Blog birthday!!! You are a freaking legend, rock star and have been and always will be my blogging idol :) I’ve said it before and said it again and its on my blog hehe you’re one of the reason why I started my own blog! So don’t be surprised that you’re still blogging because if you weren’t I would have never started hehe

This Thai Milk Tea crepe cake is so awesome and even though looks like a bit of work…it is absolutely worth it and hehe fingers cross I get to taste it soon!

Here’s to many many MANY more years of blogging xox

4. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - January 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

You are amazeballs!!! This cake really does look super good. I loved the Jinda Thai version but I can only imagine how good yours can be especially with the extra drizzle sauce!!! Hopefully I’ll get to try yours one day hehehe, when I move in. Lol! Happy 6th blog birthday, Shellie!! Here’s to many many more years to come. <3

5. Kristy @ Southern In Law - January 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

Yayyyy! Happy Blog Birthday to you!! What a perfect way to celebrate!

6. milkteaxx - January 24, 2014 at 12:12 pm

yesss ive been waiting for this one!

7. billy @ a table for two - January 24, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Happy Blogiversary! Woah 6! I thought my 5 years is a long time!!!

8. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - January 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Happy 6th blogiversary Shellie! And what a way to celebrate! This looks incredible!

9. Jess Jo - January 24, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing! I came back from Thailand yesterday & was addicted to their milk teas. i actually tried a similar cake there too. I didn’t buy Thai tea bags back though. Where do you get them from in Sydney?

10. GourmetGetaways - January 26, 2014 at 7:18 am

Congratulations on 6 years blogging!!!
    I know what you mean about not expecting to last… I can’t believe I am coming up to 4 years… I don’t usually have that sort of attention span!!
    The cake looks so delicious!

11. leaf (the indolent cook) - January 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm

This looks amazing. I love Thai milk tea. Want! Also, happy 6 years, not an easy feat!

12. fifa - January 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Congrats !!
    Thank you for the recipe!!
    did you use the sweetened thai milk? I only had sweetened ones, should I reduce the sugar ?

13. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - February 2, 2014 at 9:59 am

Big congratulations on six years blogging – that’s seriously impressive. I’m a bit the same as you – can’t believe I kept doing it more than six days but am still at it. Strangely addictive I think!

14. Annie @ The Random Foodie - February 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

happy bloggiversary! 6 years sure does fly by very quickly

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - February 24, 2014 at 10:28 am

Belated Happy Blog Birthday, lovely. This cake looks just unreal xx

16. Thanh - April 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm

A really great cake. Well done and thanks for sharing it with me. Now….can I make a request for one cake this Saturday to be delivered to Keysborough please. :-) I’ll pay in compliments.

17. Ling - August 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’m still thinking of this cake..

18. Joanne - February 23, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Hi, for the Thai milk tea pastry cream instructions, do you mean that we should immersed the tea bags in 120ml of hot boiling water, then add 420ml of milk to it?

After that, in a medium bowl, take 120ml of the thai milk tea mixture and whisk together with egg yolks, 75g sugar, and cornstarch?

Because I’m confused on where’s the remaining Thai milk tea in step 2 “Transfer the remaining Thai milk tea to heavy medium saucepan.”

Also, if I am using loose tea leaves, what’s the substitution amount for the 3 teabags?

Thank you!

• Iron Chef Shellie - February 24, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Hi Joanne,

Add the milk to the 120ml of tea infused boiling water. Then measure out 120ml of it to mix with the eggs, etc. The remaining mix is to be heated in the saucepan, and then you whisk in the 120ml egg milk you measured out into the hot milk mixture.

Perhaps three tablespoons might be a good substitute?

19. Arfa - January 25, 2017 at 7:22 pm

For 420ml milk, may I know what milk are you referring to?

20. Sabira - February 14, 2017 at 4:07 pm

hey I’m going to bake this for my sister who has a mad obsession over anything thai milk tea. if i were to use the tea leaves and simmer it in hot water. how much do i need for the tea leaves? 1/4, 1/3 /1/2 or 1 cup of tea leaves to 120ml of water?

21. Sabrina - May 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Hey I tried to make a sauce and followed the instruction just like you said, but it turned out that my sauce is super lumpy that it looks like a custard! where did I do wrong? I use a medium-low heat just like you said and stirred it from the time I put them back on the fire until it became too lumpy. please help me!

22. Veronica Gomedi - June 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Hi! I want to try your recipe, but I don’t understand which part of the process where we use the gelatine sheet.
    Because it is writen there in the ingredients for the pastry cream, but I don’t see it in the instruction. Does it meant to be use as a subtitute for corn starch?
    Please help! Thank you!

• Iron Chef Shellie - June 12, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Hi Veronica,

It’s under the “assemble the cake part”, you’ll need to add it to the pastry cream. I’ll be going back to revise this recipe, as I’ve had a few questions on various elements.