Current Obsessions ♥ January 2014

“What am I currently obsessed with? • Lime • Pomegranate • Hot Sauce • Mint”

Recipes | January 7, 2014
Current_Obsession_JAN 2014_FEATURE IMAGE

Current Obsessions ♥ January 2014

Photo Credit: Ewen Bell (as part of the Shellie Belly Jelly collaboration)

>> LIMES ♥

I’ve always had a thing for limes, but after squeezing the absolute guts out of them when working with Ewen just before Christmas, I noticed a different kind of beauty in them. I love putting a squeezed lime half into a glass of water and looking at it tranquilly shimmy its way through the water and around the glass. It looks like some mystical sea creature. It amazes me every time. Every. Single. Time.

I love putting it in my water, in salsa, in anything at the moment. The best part is they are cheap at the moment, so I’m enjoying an abundance of them whilst I can.

>> FRESH MINT ♥

I never used to like fresh mint. Actually really didn’t like it. Then I started introducing it into some dishes, like my favourite cous cous salad. It was only a few weeks ago when I added it my pavlova, glass of water with fresh lime, and of course MOJITOS (lime + mint = ♥♥♥) that I had a new found love for it. ESPECIALLY the pavlova, OMG you gotta try that one.

I LOVE the smell of it. If I could just rub it into my skin and call it perfume I would. I also have a chocolate mint plant growing in my garden which was a house warming gift. I’m yet to use that constructively. Any ideas?

>> POMEGRANATE ♥

The jewel of all the fruits. It’s one hell of gorgeous fruit to photograph. Messy as all hell but great in that cous cous salad I mentioned earlier. If you have a Thermomix, don’t forget the check out the little trick to deseed the buggers easily.

Great in salads, jellies, cakes, you name it. Just do it. Thank me later. #yourewelcome

>> HOT SAUCE / CHILLI / SPICINESS ♥

Currently it’s all about the Tabasco. This holiday I’ve been practically living on toast with smashed avocado, bacon, tomato salsa with coriander and excessive lashing of tabasco

If it’s banh mi, pizza or noodles it’s copious amounts of Sriracha and pickled green chilli.

Srirach addicts, you must see this: theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

What are YOU currently obsessed with?

Comments

11 comments on “Current Obsessions ♥ January 2014
  1. Melanie - January 7, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for another gorgeous post Shellie – beautiful images! I’m currently obsessed with berry dust – strawberry, blueberry and raspberry – an explosion of summer flavour. I’m also obsessed with rapadura sugar’s rich caramel flavour and baking with spelt flour…

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 7, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Hmmm right now let me think… matcha? But that is so 2013 and won’t change… what else am I eating a lot lately hmmmm i’m eating more spicy food as well the more chills I eat the more I want that heat! :)

3. Agnes - January 8, 2014 at 11:16 am

Pretty, pretty pictures Maz!

And I’m in total agreement about chilli / hot sauce. It makes everything better.

4. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - January 8, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Definitely loving pomegranates at the moment too. And I just bought a bunch of mint today – I see lots of Vietnamese salads and rice paper rolls this weekend!

5. GourmetGetaways - January 9, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Gorgeous images!!!
    I can’t get past pork belly still!!!!
    I do also love chilli and my plant is going mental so I have been dehydrating chilli and then adding it to oil .
    I am trying to develop a relationship with matcha green tea for the health benefits… but at the moment pork is clearly my obsession!

6. msihua - January 10, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I don’t know HOW you can not like mint! It’s the best thing ever. Thank goodness you do now, else we would have WORDS! WORDS I TELL YOU! 😛

7. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - January 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hmmm I think I’m obsessed with exactly the same things as you! I’d have to add avocados in as well. How good that limes are cheap at the moment as well.

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 13, 2014 at 7:13 am

if i didn’t get judged, i would totes leave a bottle of sriracha in my handbag….

9. Chiara - January 15, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I am right with you on the chilli obsession! I’m particularly infatuated with habanero sauce. We’ve also been making our own harissa which I’ve been using on everything from eggs to meat and even through salads!

10. Winston - January 18, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Omg I love fresh mint!!! Only times I’m still struggling to enjoy it is when I have it in salads or savoury dishes. But for desserts and drinks? Heaven. Happy new year to you Shell dawg can’t wait to makan together again =)