{Preview Event} Is Fine Dining Finished?

“This post show cases some of the food and debate on offer at The Age’s Good Food Month event: Is Fine Dining Finished? at The Point Albert Park. Hosted by the amazing Dani Valent, the dinner presents contrasting dishes from the fine dining scene, and the current food fashion of the casual, shared, street food scene.”

Is Fine Dining Dead_Feature image

{Preview Event} Is Fine Dining Finished?

This post show cases some of the food and debate on offer at The Age’s Good Food Month event: Is Fine Dining Finished?  at The Point Albert Park.

Hosted by the amazing Dani Valent, the dinner presents contrasting dishes from the fine dining scene, and the current food fashion of the casual, shared, street food scene. The featured chefs will be The Point’s executive chef Justin Wise, and Luke Croston of Gazi, who has done the transition of fine dining to street food. With matched cocktails and wine, the discussion “Is Fine Dining Finished?” is up for all opinions to be voiced.

Gazi
Karpouzi Kup

Do I think fine dining is dead?

No. I don’t think it will ever be. There is always a place for it. People need somewhere to go to for special occasions, to feel special, to enjoy exquisite things they may not at other every day run of the mill restaurants.

For me, I personally haven’t been many fine dining places. The ultimate in Melbourne I think would have to be Vue de Monde, and I strive to get there to celebrate when I turn the big three ohhh. I would LOVE to go before then, in case (god forbid, touch wood… hug a treeee) I get hit by a bus, or somehow lose my ability to eat solid foods, but from a price point, it’s not something I can afford to do. I have a house now, bills, oh and more bills. Cheap to medium priced thrills are where it’s at for me.

Matt Beyer, one of the dinner guests made a good point, he said that for a few hours, people can buy into this “other world” when going to fine dining restaurants. He makes a very valid point. You go in, you get treated like royalty, the fresh white table cloths, freshly pressed napkins, crystal clear glassware, shimmeringly shiny cutlery and a certain au du poshness in the air.

Some fine dining places can seem to stuffy for some. I’ve been with someone who couldn’t wait to get out of the place as they just didn’t feel relaxed. I guess this is where the casual fine dining experiences came in.

The current food trend is now:

• Line up / wait for a table at the latest hip place because bookings are forbidden. For all of us decent people who actually keep bookings we make, the others ruined that for us, and now it’s eat at 11am, or 3:50pm.
  • Barely hear your friend’s conversation over the loud music / loudness of other diners
  • Decide on what food you want off the menu, mostly street food these days
  • Share your dishes (I’m a big fan of sharing as I can never decide on one thing on the menu)
  • Order dessert, receive no complimentary petit fours

That’s the difference between fine dining and the new casual food trend; the little extras. The petit four, the folding of your napkin when you leave the table, the education about the wine, and what it means and why you should be drinking that particular vintage with that piece of meat on that particular night.

It’s the little things.

♣ ♣ ♣

Well I could rant and rave but why not head on down to the event for yourself and get your two cents in!

Is Fine Dining Finished?

To enjoy a four course meal comparing street food to fine dining, with matching cocktails and wine, as well as discuss your thoughts on the subject, purchase your tickets here.

For more debate, check out Thanh’s thoughts.

Iron Chef Shellie dined as a guest of The Point with many thanks to the lovely Julia at Tink PR and The Point Albert Park,

Comments

12 comments on “{Preview Event} Is Fine Dining Finished?
  1. Thanh - November 20, 2013 at 6:39 am

You’ll definitely get to Vue de Monde. And I totally forgot about the screaming my lungs part at some restaurant. OK I do hate that part.

2. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - November 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

When I read the title I instantly thought, “Where will people go to celebrate? What will make events over-the-top special?”

The middle class is decreasing and the upper and lower are increasing so there will be more people at the top end willing to shell out for quality and service.

Love, love, love Dani Valent.

3. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - November 20, 2013 at 8:38 am

I personally don’t think fine dining is finished, but it’s not the kind of meal you have very often, I’d only go for fine dining to celebrate special occasions. On other days I’d much rather dine at a casual place when I’m not in the mood to spend hours dining and having to be all proper. 😛

4. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - November 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I don’t think fine dining is finished either, there’s just different occasions for those and the feel and atmosphere is completely different.

But man. Foie gras…….*jaw drops* I haven’t had a proper one of those in ages!!! Not since…Vegas. Mmmmm….*drooling*

5. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - November 20, 2013 at 5:18 pm

What the….I even used manual settings and did everything right but my photos still came out crappier and with that yellow tinge and I was sitting next to you taking photos of the same thing 😛 Damn it!

Great dinner and really interesting topic, I don’t think fine dining will ever be dead cuz we’ll always want a nice place to celebrate our birthday or wedding. I just think there’s more casual dining places because theres the demand for it, we’re time poor don’t want to cook or wash (ME ME ME) and want to go out without spending a leg or arm hehe

6. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - November 20, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The dinner looks amazing. It’s a good topic for debate as I don’t think fine dining is finished but I do think casual dining is a lot more popular now.

7. GourmetGetaways - November 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

What a great story!! I think that all food styles have there place! I would certainly choose fine dining for Mr GG & myself and street foods style for fun times :)

8. Winston - November 26, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Fine dining is an interesting one for me. The handful of fine dining experiences I’ve been to I liked and appreciated but must honestly admit didn’t enjoy as much as I would at a low key, casual and hearty restaurant where I could let loose and goof out with friends while eating food that I actually crave. Although, there is a time and place for everything. Sometimes, I do agree that it’s nice to go somewhere out of the extraordinary. In terms of food I feel like it’s just never hit the spot. Although, I think Duy and Andy’s food the other day was the perfect balance between refined food with flavours and ingredients that the soul craves don’t you think hahaha

9. Yasmeen | Wandering Spice - November 27, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I’m happy to see upscale casual dining taking center stage these days – it’s more inclusive, and exposes people to new cuisines within their budgets.

That said, we spent our one-year wedding anniversary at Attica in June. It was absolutely sensational, a meal we’ll never forget, and for that reason I don’t think (or want) fine dining to disappear completely. Fine dining has an aspirational quality to it that I enjoy (i.e. for birthdays, anniversaries, gifts to others, etc). For that reason, I hope it doesn’t go away, nor do I think it will.

10. Adrian (food rehab) - November 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Dang. Gutted I had to pull out of this dinner. I wantz dat foie gras! Hmm, I think fine dining will always have its place esp here in melbourne. For many people, lining up for 3 hrs to get into a ‘trending’ restaurant to eat at 10pm is…a once off never to be tried again experience.

11. Normans Orlando - July 15, 2014 at 8:00 am

Great article and pictures. Fine dining will, I think, always be a part of the food and restaurant scene – for celebrations and special moments, it’s hard to beat a fine dining experience!