{Eating Out} High Coffee @ the InterContinental Hotel

“If you love coffee, and high tea; then you'll just LOVE High Coffee at the Intercontinental Melbourne.”

Who doesn’t love a high tea? Being a tea person, I LOVE high tea. A cuppa Earl Grey, a selection of treaties, and a chin wag with a friend.

A new player in the market, and a perfect fit for coffee centered Melbourne is High Coffee which is now being offered at the Market Lane Bar at the InterContinental Hotel in the Rialto Tower.

Now I have coffee about …. hmmm.. maybe 3 times a year. Yeah I know.. wow watch out, don’t get addicted now! But I can say, after an afternoon that involved an exceptional espresso martini and a grappa infused espresso… I am a coffee fan. Both drinks were great on the palate, and worked perfectly with the food served.

Wagyu beef, cucumber relish and watercress panini
Roasted chicken and avocado with bush tomato relish roll
Smoked salmon on rye with mascarpone and lemon myrtle

Warm Afternoon Savouries
Homemade beef and burgundy pie
Prosciutto and green asparagus quiches
Feta and olive mini muffin
Cafè Freddo

Palate Cleanser
Seasonal sorbet

Fruit and plain scones served with double cream and home made strawberry jam

Vanilla and raspberry panna cotta *The Mocha
Couveture chocolate and macadamia nut slice with Chantilly cream *The Espresso
Pistachio macaroon *The Macchiato
Mini pavlova with seasonal fruits *The Flat White

The Signature
For extra intensity, try the Cafè Corretto, a shot of perfect Espresso di Manfredi
‘corrected’ with a shot of grappa
*Recommended matching beverage

Three tiers of delectable treats, and an additional plate of hot savouries was the perfect way to spend an afternoon in between retail therapy with my BFF. I really liked the mini pie and the cheese muffin. The scones were cute and tasty too. It was a great mix of food, and we were grateful they were only small morsels so we could sample a bit of everything and not feel so full that we needed to go book a hotel room upstairs! Although we probably could have used a nap, but we had more shopping to do!

♠ ♠ ♠

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto | High Coffee

Cost: $55 a head, includes Espresso Martini, choice of coffee, savoury and sweet bites

Served Daily: 2pm – 5pm

Where: Market Lane Bar, lobby level InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Address: 495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria Australia 3000

Reservations are recommended:

Market Lane Bar: +61 3 8627 1568 or email

For more information head to:

The Intercontinental, Market Lane Lounge on Urbanspoon

Iron Chef Shellie and guest dined with compliments of InterContinental Melbourne and Run Forrest PR.

12 comments on “{Eating Out} High Coffee @ the InterContinental Hotel
  1. milkteaxx - May 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm

i love high tea too! i wish i could do that relaxing ritual everyday. haha.

2. Keren - May 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm

This just looks gorgeous … I cannot go much longer without checking it out for myself.

3. Catherine - May 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I like this concept – I like tea but appreciate coffee much more! I’ve never tried high tea in my life… I really should go soon :)

4. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I am sooooooo sad that I had to miss out today >_< I was supposed to go but had to cancel but will have to book again and goooo everything looks so good and YAY welcome the coffee drinking club!

5. Gourmet Getaways - May 27, 2013 at 4:29 pm

What a gorgeous “High Coffee” experience. I love the cute little dishes you were served, especially the pannacotta in the cute little jar, delicious :)

6. msihua (@msihua) - May 27, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Such an awesome idea! Love the food too!

7. msihua (@msihua) - May 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Love the whole idea of coffee instead of tea. It’s such a Melburnian twist isn’t it?

8. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - May 28, 2013 at 8:51 am

You have coffee like 3 times a year? I have it each morning at least one. I’m not a tea person, I like my coffee. This place sounds like something for me :)

9. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - May 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I was swooning over a Sydney place and now I want to go to Melbourne. :) This all looks wonderful. I’m not a big coffee person either but I would drink a jugful with all of that food.

10. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - May 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I love the tea part of high tea as well but perhaps coffee with high tea could work!

11. Clarisse - May 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm

That’s a nice experience I think, this High coffee menu. What did you like the most? Personally on all the food you show, I prefer the mini muffin!