Merchants Guild • 8 Days Cafe

“Birthday breakfast at Merchant's Guild; indulgent pancakes, fried chicken and the best damn chai in town. Brunch at 8 Days Cafe with a bunch of food lovers.”

When Lianne posted photos of her pancakes from Merchant’s Guild, BBFF Daisy and I both shouted from the rooftops WE HAD to try them ASAP! Being the social butterflies we are, finding a date to mutually agree on was a challenge. So we ended up going on my birthday, and roped brunch enthusiasts, Haz & Gaz in as well.

I got there first and put my name down for a table. Luckily a big group left within about 5 minutes and we were seated.

The space itself is very funky, going with the industrial look, subway tiles, grungy light fittings, and the warmth of wood. But I didn’t go there to assess the interior fixtures… I went there for PANCAKES!

Hot chocolates are by Mork chocolate and the coffees showcase some of Melbourne’s most dedicated coffee roasters on a rotating menu. They seem to take their teas very seriously too, which is great for a non-coffee person like me! Above is a chai latte being poured by hand model Gaz, and a latte.

As we all umm-ed and ahhh-ed over the menu, we decided to order pancakes for the table to share, and we each get something else. I had my eye on the duck banh mi after checking out the menu online a few days before. It was good, but lacked the real tartness of pickled veg. Even though there was some in there, I would have liked more sourness. Having said that, the duck was nice and juicy, and the baguette nice and crispy and didn’t break my jaw as I ate it.

I was too busy stuffing my face I forgot to take photos of Daisy’s porridge, and Ricky’s bubble and squeak. Fail-town!

I dined compliments of Haz & Gaz who shouted me a birthday meal. Thanks guys ♥

Merchants Guild on Urbanspoon

And because it was my birthday, the Never Too Sweet one, Daisy very kindly made me a birthday cake with BALLS!!! Thank you again BBFF! I can’t remember the last time someone made me a birthday cake! xo

♣ ♣ ♣

I was invited to drag myself out of bed early on a public holiday, to try the brunch offerings at the newly opened 8 Days Cafe in Armadale.

This is former professional royal tennis player Ruaraidh Gunn’s first hospitality venture. The name “8 Days Cafe” comes from the procedure of roasting coffee beans.

From their website:

Roasted beans go through a degassing process from the time they come out of the roaster. The speed of the degassing process depends on the nature of the roast. From day 1 the beans start to get better,and generally peak at 8 days.”

The cherry ripe mud cake was treat, and you don’t have to save it for afternoon tea. We all shared this slice after breakfast!

Located in the bustling shopping street of High Street, Armadale; this place is bound to be a hit with the locals and the shopaholics requiring a feed in between credit card swipes.

8 Days Cafe on Urbanspoon

Comments

15 comments on “Merchants Guild • 8 Days Cafe
  1. milkteaxx - May 1, 2013 at 11:55 am

all the food looks so good! i miss doing nothing and chilling on a weekend at a nice cafe!

2. angela@mykikicake - May 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

yum yum yum…those pancakes look amazing. But that wagyu beef burger right now would be way more amazeballs for lunch!

3. Em - May 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm

The first picture (pancakes) and the last photo (cherry ripe mud cake) both have me drooling and really needing a chocolate hit…

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - May 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful birthday with lots of fabulous food Shellie and very well deserved!! I saw Daisy’s cake and thought that it looked SO good! :D

5. Catherine - May 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Gosh those pancakes…!!! They look absolutely divinee :D

6. Hannah - May 2, 2013 at 9:00 am

Heh. Degassing.

Gorgeous, gorgeous eats you’ve been having, birthday girl! I want alllll of it.

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 2, 2013 at 9:17 am

How visually stunning does that cherry ripe cake look!! Glad you and some birthday balls :) ……. so so sorry. But not really, because I know you applauded me, right? x

8. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 2, 2013 at 11:32 am

The pancakes were AWESOME :) I can’t believe we didn’t even finish it hahaha but that’s cuz we did have a lot of other food definitely going back sometime ~

Well that ball cake isn’t going to be the last cake you get from me :) hehe just wished I took it outta the oven a couple of minutes earlier!

LOL I don’t think I have had that much food at Brunch before! It was like a never ending story at 8 days :P

9. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - May 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I LOVED cake for breakfast dessert! LOL what a crowd you all must be. :)

“Waiter, bring one of everything on your menu and extra plates.”

10. Ashley - May 2, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Oh maaan. Those pancakes look too amazing, doo-rooling!

11. Gourmet Getaways - May 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

What an amazing meal!! I love the Cherry Ripe cake, it needed no introduction, the minute I saw it I knew what the flavour would be :)

Daisy is so lovely bringing you a Birthay cake with balls ;)

12. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - May 7, 2013 at 3:27 am

I would definitely order short cut bacon, avocado and chard corn salsa on sourdough toast, free-range eggs, jalapeno pesto. It looks soooo good.

13. Cara Waters @Gourmet Chick - May 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Sounds like a great birthday celebration – I haven’t been to Merchant’s Guild so will have to check it out

14. msihua - May 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Mmmm I will go back to Merchant’s Guild. Chiefly I just want to try all their teas!

15. Karl - May 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

Will have to try these pancakes now that I live nearby! They sound amazing

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)