{Tales from the Belly} Merchants Guild • 8 Days Cafe

Buckwheat pancakes with grilled pear, chocolate fudge, hazelnuts and a naughty whiskey maple syrup $14.50

When Lianne posted photos of her pancakes from Merchant’s Guild, BBFF Daisy and I both shouted from the rooftops WE HAD to try them ASAP! Being the social butterflies we are, finding a date to mutually agree on was a challenge. So we ended up going on my birthday, and roped brunch enthusiasts, Haz & Gaz in as well.

I got there first and put my name down for a table. Luckily a big group left within about 5 minutes and we were seated.

The space itself is very funky, going with the industrial look, subway tiles, grungy light fittings, and the warmth of wood. But I didn’t go there to assess the interior fixtures… I went there for PANCAKES!

Hot chocolates are by Mork chocolate and the coffees showcase some of Melbourne’s most dedicated coffee roasters on a rotating menu. They seem to take their teas very seriously too, which is great for a non-coffee person like me! Above is a chai latte being poured by hand model Gaz, and a latte.

Vietnamese Duck Banh Mi baguette with pickled veg, pate, chilli and coriander $12.50

As we all umm-ed and ahhh-ed over the menu, we decided to order pancakes for the table to share, and we each get something else. I had my eye on the duck banh mi after checking out the menu online a few days before. It was good, but lacked the real tartness of pickled veg. Even though there was some in there, I would have liked more sourness. Having said that, the duck was nice and juicy, and the baguette nice and crispy and didn’t break my jaw as I ate it.

Short cut bacon, avocado and chard corn salsa on sourdough toast, free-range eggs, jalapeno pesto $17

Mississippi chicken with a creole coleslaw of cabbage, fennel, apple and purple carrots $17

I was too busy stuffing my face I forgot to take photos of Daisy’s porridge, and Ricky’s bubble and squeak. Fail-town!

I dined compliments of Haz & Gaz who shouted me a birthday meal. Thanks guys ♥

Merchants Guild on Urbanspoon

And because it was my birthday, the Never Too Sweet one, Daisy very kindly made me a birthday cake with BALLS!!! Thank you again BBFF! I can’t remember the last time someone made me a birthday cake! xo

♣ ♣ ♣

I was invited to drag myself out of bed early on a public holiday, to try the brunch offerings at the newly opened 8 Days Cafe in Armadale.

This is former professional royal tennis player Ruaraidh Gunn’s first hospitality venture. The name “8 Days Cafe” comes from the procedure of roasting coffee beans.

From their website:

Roasted beans go through a degassing process from the time they come out of the roaster. The speed of the degassing process depends on the nature of the roast. From day 1 the beans start to get better,and generally peak at 8 days.”

I didn’t try the coffee, but I did have a chai and an earl grey. I was a fan of the chai,

Toasted Glicks bagel w/smoked salmon,spinach, avocado, poached eggs & chilli lime hollandaise $18

Baked eggs w/ Tuscan bean cassoulét ,salsicchia & petite rocket salad $16

Smashed avocado & Persian fetta on 6 grain w/smoked bacon & poached eggs $18

Avocado & Persian fetta on sourdough w/ chilli, basil & minted broadbean dressing $17

Crossiant French Toast with pears

Wagyu beef burger, brioche bun, gruyere cheese,smoked bacon,tomato relish & sliced pickles w/fat chips, crisp baby cos,tomato & aioli $21

The cherry ripe mud cake was treat, and you don’t have to save it for afternoon tea. We all shared this slice after breakfast!

Located in the bustling shopping street of High Street, Armadale; this place is bound to be a hit with the locals and the shopaholics requiring a feed in between credit card swipes.

8 Days Cafe on Urbanspoon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
15 Responses to “{Tales from the Belly} Merchants Guild • 8 Days Cafe”
  1. milkteaxx says:

all the food looks so good! i miss doing nothing and chilling on a weekend at a nice cafe!
    milkteaxx recently posted..Naked for Satan Fitzroy Melbourne

2. yum yum yum…those pancakes look amazing. But that wagyu beef burger right now would be way more amazeballs for lunch!
    angela@mykikicake recently posted..Watsons Bay Hotel – Watsons Bay

3. Em says:

The first picture (pancakes) and the last photo (cherry ripe mud cake) both have me drooling and really needing a chocolate hit…
    Em recently posted..Josef Chromy Cellar Door – Launceston

4. It looks like you had a wonderful birthday with lots of fabulous food Shellie and very well deserved!! I saw Daisy’s cake and thought that it looked SO good! :D
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Afternoon Tea at Chateau Yering, Yarra Valley

5. Catherine says:

Gosh those pancakes…!!! They look absolutely divinee :D
    Catherine recently posted..A Little Bird Told Me

6. Hannah says:

Heh. Degassing.

Gorgeous, gorgeous eats you’ve been having, birthday girl! I want alllll of it.
    Hannah recently posted..How To Keep Falling In Love With Toronto, Part Four

7. How visually stunning does that cherry ripe cake look!! Glad you and some birthday balls :) ……. so so sorry. But not really, because I know you applauded me, right? x
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Bread at The Mill.

8. The pancakes were AWESOME :) I can’t believe we didn’t even finish it hahaha but that’s cuz we did have a lot of other food definitely going back sometime ~

Well that ball cake isn’t going to be the last cake you get from me :) hehe just wished I took it outta the oven a couple of minutes earlier!

LOL I don’t think I have had that much food at Brunch before! It was like a never ending story at 8 days :P
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Morning Tea – At The Gables

9. I LOVED cake for breakfast dessert! LOL what a crowd you all must be. :)

“Waiter, bring one of everything on your menu and extra plates.”
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Meet Fran Flint

10. Ashley says:

Oh maaan. Those pancakes look too amazing, doo-rooling!
    Ashley recently posted..A Weekend in Sydney – Day 2

11. What an amazing meal!! I love the Cherry Ripe cake, it needed no introduction, the minute I saw it I knew what the flavour would be :)

Daisy is so lovely bringing you a Birthay cake with balls ;)
    Gourmet Getaways recently posted..Strawberry Blondie – White Chocolate Brownie

12. I would definitely order short cut bacon, avocado and chard corn salsa on sourdough toast, free-range eggs, jalapeno pesto. It looks soooo good.
    Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Green smoothie with pear, arugula and ginger

13. Sounds like a great birthday celebration – I haven’t been to Merchant’s Guild so will have to check it out
    Cara Waters @Gourmet Chick recently posted..Temple Tree Resort: Gourmet Chick in Malaysia

14. msihua says:

Mmmm I will go back to Merchant’s Guild. Chiefly I just want to try all their teas!
    msihua recently posted..No-Bake ‘Manjari 64%’ Chocolate Tarts with Honeyed Grilled Figs Recipe

15. Karl says:

Will have to try these pancakes now that I live nearby! They sound amazing