Baci Cookies

“Things a 400g jar of Nutella can make... that is if you don't end up eating it out the jar with a spoon first!”

Baci Biscuits Feature Image

Baci Cookies

Baci-Biscuits-Title-Image

I have writer’s block….

I like Nutella.

I LOVE Nutella.

I would marry it and have it’s babies if I could.

No, I probably shouldn’t…. cos then I’d probably eat my babies, and that’s not really socially acceptable now is it.

This recipe calls for a 400g jar of Nutella. But when you are a Nutella freak like me, the smallest jar on hand is a 750g one. I don’t think I should be left alone with those giant 5kg one. I might go into a Nutella coma fairly quickly.

This recipe doesn’t require many ingredients, or effort… which is brilliant when you want chocolate cookies pronto. The smell of the cookie batter alone will send you into a Nutella frenzy; but wait for them to bake, sandwich together with more of the good stuff, and put your feet up. I dubbed these “who needs a boyfriend” cookies.

I made them as the original recipe by Valli Little says to, and they were pretty. bloody. good. But she calls them “baci biscuits” and I was wondering where the nutty component was. So I took it upon myself to improve on her recipe. I tried putting nuts and nut meal into the cookie dough and subtracted some flour. Perhaps I didn’t do it right and my cookies were harder than the first batch. I’m still experimenting with the correct ratios. But may I suggest chopped up hazelnuts in the middle with the Nutella if you have some lying around. It’s more Baci and Ferrero Rocher like, and will take you to heaven.

Baci Cookies
Ingredients
  1. 40g unsalted butter, softened
  2. 1 egg
  3. 400g jar Nutella
  4. 1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour, sifted
  5. Cocoa powder, to serve
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to to 180C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
  2. Place the butter, egg and 3/4 cup (235g) Nutella in a bowl and beat with electric beaters for 2-3 minutes until thick. Gradually add the flour, beating constantly, until you have a sticky dough.
  3. Using floured hands, roll 1 teaspoon dough into a ball. Repeat until you have 50 balls. Place on the baking trays, spaced 2cm apart, and bake for 6-7 minutes until firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Spread the remaining Nutella on 25 biscuits, then sandwich with the remaining 25 minutes.
  5. Serve dusted with cocoa.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Comments

22 comments on “Baci Cookies
  1. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - April 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm

OMG! I WANT SOME OF YOUR BALLS PLEASE! Oopsie, that came out wrong! :$

I know I’ve said this before when you posted it on Insta but damn, they look amazeballs! :O :O :O And I love how you labelled them “who needs a boyfriend” cookies. Need to try this recipe soon!

2. chocolatesuze - April 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm

ooooooh i want balls too!!! haha i think you should totally get the 5kg jar of nutella!

3. The Master Chefette - April 17, 2013 at 7:31 am

Oh my amazing! I know what I’m making this weekend!

4. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - April 17, 2013 at 9:00 am

These balls were AMAZING :) And duhh i didn’t make the association with Baci but now that you’ve said it, they do taste like it! I think I know what I’m getting you for your bday πŸ˜›

5. Ira - April 17, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thanks for sharing the recipe. These look like thebomb.com

6. Gourmet Getaways - April 17, 2013 at 11:45 am

What gorgeous images! I love the black background and the grey dot plate, just beautiful. Baci Cookies!! Yum!!! Truly inspired cooking… and I do agree, it is best if you and nutella don’t marry and have children πŸ˜‰

7. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - April 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm

One of the blogs I follow posted a recipe for “Will you marry me?” cookies. I think you could use the same title. Don’t these little gems sound wonderful!

8. msihua - April 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Nice plates! And oh milk bottles.. No straws? *pfft*… seriously we should have a communal cupboard, cause the clones are getting ridic! I lvoe Nutella too πŸ˜›

9. Keren - April 18, 2013 at 6:44 am

We were very tempted to bring one of those big Nutella jars back from Italy, just for the novelty of it, but we didn’t want to lug it around with us in the meantime :) These look great!

10. Mez - April 18, 2013 at 8:29 am

OK

I am going to tell you the truth…….. I DO NOT LIKE NUTELLA!!!!

Please don’t disown me, I’m not crazy I just think it tastes terrible.
    I do NOT like chocolate with peanuts unless it’s peanut butter.

Anyway, Hamish thinks I’m crazy as he loves Nutella… I should make him these!

xox

11. Tina @ bitemeshowme - April 18, 2013 at 10:28 am

i’ve loved nutella for as long as I remember. my siblings used to feed me by the spoonfuls and I still eat it like that today. SO EASY! I”m definitely making these balls. can’t get enough of them πŸ˜›

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - April 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Shellie have you ever made your own Nutella? It’s amazing stuff! Hehe best not to eat your own babies πŸ˜›

13. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen - April 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Yum, your cookies look and sound ridiculously good!

14. ChopinandMysaucepan - April 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

These baci cookies look delicious but I’m a little confused. Can a jar of Nutella really make a girl pregnant?

15. Ashley - April 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yummm, I love baci…and nutella…and chocolate….need to make these!!

16. Sabeen @ Mumchic - April 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

Oh My God! Those look divine!!!!

And more importantly, I am super stoked to have found your blog , I am surprised you have never been on my radar before today :) Loving all the photograohy too, look forward to following you :)

17. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry - April 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm

These wouldn’t last too long at my place. Yum.

18. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - April 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I love Nutella as well. So much, that I even make it from time to time :) And this cookis, yummy. Don’t worry about the writer’s block, it will pass.

19. Jo - April 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm

NUTELLA!!!!!

NUTELLA COOOOOKIES!!!

I WANNNNNNNT!

ok gotta make them soon!

20. Agnes - April 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You need a boyfriend to do the washing up, remember?

(Also, these were the shiz.)

21. Sara @bellyrumbles - May 31, 2013 at 12:11 am