Hub St Kilda • Clover Cottage

“A surprisingly good hotel breakfast in St Kilda, and a very lack luster lunch in Berwick.”

October 26, 2012

I’m back!!

Thank you to all the lovely people who left me messages. To be honest I wasn’t going to return until after November, but I’ve had some amazing offers, people constantly asking me when I’m returning, and well quite frankly I missed blogging.

My posting might not be so frequent, until after November as I’ll be moving house twice, so stay tuned for give aways, recipes and my usual ramblings!

♣  ♣  ♣

Hub St Kilda

Waking up early to go to St Kilda on a Saturday in the middle of Winter did not excite me, or my fellow bloggers. But we managed to pull ourselves out of our warm beds to make the trek to St Kilda to see what the breakfast at Hotel Urban’s new cafe Hub was about.

We gathered around a table of other bloggers, and sussed out the menu. We got some of the house made crumpets with lemon and creamed honey to share amongst us as we decided what to eat. They were light and fluffy, and the lemon and creamy honey was a delicious accompaniment.

I-Hua, Thanh and I opted for the breakfast special: French toast brioche with stewed apples and pears. I-Hua cleverly ordered hers with a side of bacon, and I was so glad she offered me a piece, as after a while it was so sweet, I needed some savoury relief.

Other items on the menu looked great, including the cinnamon porridge, eggs benedict and crushed avo on toast. It’s a great little cafe, also serving, lunch, dinner and dessert. Especially good for hotel guests, since most hotel resturants are rubbish!

Hub Cafe on Urbanspoon

Iron Chef Shellie dined at Hub St Kilda as a guest courtesy of Run Forrest

♣  ♣  ♣

Clover Cottage

We took my Grandma to Clover Cottage about 10 years ago for her birthday or Mothers’ Day… one or the other. I don’t remember much of it other than we vowed never to return. My Grandma however forgot, and decided to take us there for lunch.We usually go to an Italian place in Berwick, but it’s unfortunately been taken over and completely changed for the worse.

I have been to my fair share of snooty places, but I have never felt so uncomfortable in a restaurant as I felt here. There is an excess of fake flowers, fake this, fake that… even the candles on the tables were fake. The wait staff seemed so phoney, and the flavours of the menu seemed all over the place. This place seemed to be a hit with the old people, yet not my Grandma (thank goodness!!).

We had entrees of ‘Korean’ beef, satay chicken, fish and salsa prawns. Then we chose a soup from the soup menu. I chose the bisque which was just so thick sludge I might as well have been eating a thick gravy. It had overcooked pieces of lobster and was too salty.

Mains were up at the buffet, this is when I really started to get angry. They brought out two massive beef wellingtons, other roasts, and sides. They would cut you just a sliver of meat, and give you the minimum sides… eg: 4 green beans. And when everyone was done, there was still 1¼ beef wellingtons still left! Such a waste.

Desserts were the same sort of deal, there was the biggest cheesecake I’ve ever seen in my life on display, but they cut you a sliver of yet a much much much smaller cheesecake. The grapes in jelly looked like something you’d get at Sizzler, and the rest of the desserts were just about the same quality as a family buffet.

Not only that, we seemed to wait an eternity between meals, getting bored and wanting to go home. We resulted to napkin origami and playing with our cutlery. For $75 a head plus drinks, we were less than impressed. Needless to say, we won’t be back.

Clover Cottage Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments

19 comments on “Hub St Kilda • Clover Cottage
  1. Ling - October 26, 2012 at 7:23 am

You’re back! Everything ok?

2. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - October 26, 2012 at 7:38 am

Yay to see you’re back! I’ve missed your posts! :)

And yikes your experience at the Clover Cottage sounds really terrible. I hate it when they do that! Have a huge plate but offer you a tiny weeny bit. And for $75?!! Boo.

3. Mez - October 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

Ahhhahahahahaaaa I think I said something about clover cottage when you went, my grandma and grandpa LOVED the place – 15 years ago.

It’s amazing how a dedicated, local clientele can keep a place open which would otherwise no longer be.

That breakfast on the other hand looks bomb dot com, I would have regretted not ordering bacon too – I LOVE BACON!!

I’m glad you’re doing better babe, it will probably take you a few months to really find your feet again but the important thing is your picking them up and moving on even on the difficult/shitty days.

xox

4. CheezyK - October 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

Crumpets and creamed honey … so many childhood memories, I just want to breath that photo in!

Look after yourself xx :)

5. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - October 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It sounds like Clover Cottage was a big womp! How annoying!

Have a lovely weekend, Shellie!

6. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - October 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Nice to have you back Shellie. The hub breakfast actually looks pretty good for a hotel breakfast.

7. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 27, 2012 at 12:33 am

Love the sound of those fluffy crumpets!

Having to move twice sounds rather hectic! Good to see you back though and I hope the moving goes well.

8. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - October 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Welcome back Shellie I ve missed you and your posts and your rumbles :) so glad that you’re back! Take it easy and ease into it! Don’t stress about coming back full speed ~

I remember going to Hub St after you guys went hehe that French toast is so delicious!!!!

A shame that the Clover Cottage was disappointing >_<

9. Thanh - October 28, 2012 at 7:07 am

That French toast was so sweet even my high tolerance to sugar cannot handle it. We definitely needed the bacon.

10. Winston - October 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yay!! Hey hey all the best with everything. Busy times but def look forward to your future posts and catching you at the picnic =)

11. Agnes - October 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Clover Cottage sounds awful. Ick!

I was so grumpy that morning at Hub. Getting up early in the freezing cold to trek down to St Kilda? Major grump alert! Hahahaha. You were so lucky you weren’t sitting near me. 😉

12. Tina @ bitemeshowme - October 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good to see you back, Shellie. You’ve been missed. Hopefully the next month ahead isn’t too chaotic but you know you have the support of your blogger friends :) x

13. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - October 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

What a surprise to see you in my inbox! Welcome home and I’d be happy to breakfast with you at Hub St but forget that cottage place. :)

14. Leah - October 30, 2012 at 7:21 am

You always make me want to jump on a plane to visit beautiful Victoria again and again! The food is always amazing!!!

15. Sammie - October 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Great that you’re back – with 2 new homes to look forward to! And that awesome kitchen in one of them! Reading all your eating adventures made me really rather hungry! As do all those delicious photos on Instagram. Keep them coming!

16. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Crumpets!! Sorry I haven’t caught up. All I can say is glad you’re feeling better. Posting less sounds like a great idea for sanity purposes :)

17. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 1, 2012 at 8:51 am

hmmm my comment didn’t show. Must have been eaten. I’m glad you’re back & good idea to post less – good for your sanity :) This food all looks just incredibly delicious! Haven’t been to either spot. Love crumpets.

18. Lianne - November 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm

So need to go to Hub St K! Those crumpets looks amazing! and the french toasts, I would be like I-Hua and order with a side of bacon, cause I’m a sucker for bacon with maple syrup or honey! NOMS! hehe

19. GourmetGetaways - November 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Oh I am so pleased that you are back!!! You were so cryptic in your previous post!!! Yummy to all the delicious food, now I am going to catch up my reading on your other stories :)

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)