Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

“This was a quick, easy recipe you can whip up during the week, or at your next BBQ. Prawns with mangoes, always a winning Summer combination.”

Recipes | September 21, 2012
Prawn Skewer Baguette Feature Image
Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

Here’s one from the archives for you.

The weather is getting warmer, the sun is staying out longer… and as a food blogger who has a full time job, you have NO IDEA how much this makes me happy. I can shoot my dinner in gorgeous natural light, instead of yucky artificial light. Sure a lightbox helps but it’s not the same… and half the time I just really can’t be bothered setting it all up.

But with Summer on it’s way, it also brings my favourite fruits, mangoes, nectarines, peaches…. ahhhhh….. I love Summer.

This was a quick, easy recipe you can whip up during the week, or at your next BBQ. I’ve seen mangoes start appearing at my local fruit shop! YAY! I’ll wait till they get a bit cheaper though :)

Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

Adapted from BBC Australia Good Food “Garlic Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa”

750g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
1 birdseye chilli, finely sliced
1/4 cup chopped coriander
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
juice of 2 limes

Mango & Chilli Salsa
1 mango, flesh cut into 2cm cubes
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped

1. Place prawns, birdseye chilli, coriander, fish sauce, brown sugar and half the lime juice in a bowl. Toss to coat prawns all over, cover and refrigerate.
  2. Meanwhile, make salsa. In a bowl, combine mango, long red chilli, onion and remaining lime juice and season. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
  3. Preheat an oiled chargrill or barbecue grill on high. Thread prawns onto bamboo skewers (3-4 on each) and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, brushing with marinade, until cooked.
  4. Serve with a salad, or in a crusty roll with mayo and lettuce.

Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

Comments

13 comments on “Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa
  1. Libby - September 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Prawns, daylight saving, summer and mangoes (with a bit of test cricket thrown in!) = WINNING.

2. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au - September 22, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Great easy recipe very summery yeah!!. The photos look great by the way

3. Ames - September 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm

This sounds really summery and looks great in the natural light! Yay for more sunshine 😀

4. Gourmet getaways - September 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Summer is my favourite time too! I love the warmer weather and the foods that go along with it. Your Mango Chilli Salsa looks amazing, definitely something for me to make ASAP!

5. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - September 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Prawns are such a great summer dish and I love the idea of a mango salsa with them

6. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - September 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Ohhh i love this recipe! The prawns are super cute on the skewers hehe :) And the mango and chilli salsa! Can’t wait to try this recipe next weekend :) If the weathers nice I can even sit out in on the balcony woo hoo thanks for the great recipe as always!

7. Nic@diningwithastud - September 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I’m so excited to be able to shoot my pics in sunlight after work :) haha! I love mango and chilli salsa!

8. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry - September 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm

With summer just around the corner here, these would be perfect.

9. Alana - September 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm

With Summer approaching I couldn’t think of anything more delightful than your prawns and seasonal salsa! This totally looks like a massive party hit.

10. ChopinandMysaucepan - September 25, 2012 at 9:19 am

Dear Shellie,

That mango chilli salsa would be awesome with a range of BBQ seafood, bring on summer!

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - September 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

That looks so sunny and gorgeous Shellie! And yes that extra time makes the world of difference doesn’t it? Yay for summer!! 😀

12. penny aka jeroxie - September 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Nice!! I love a good mango salsa… bring on summer!

13. Sophie Wang (@aecliss) - October 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Can’t wait for summer to arrive – this will be perfect 😀