A Taste of Taste 2012

“A preview of what's to come at this year's Taste of Melbourne.”

Dining | September 19, 2012
Taste of Taste Feature Image

A Taste of Taste 2012

Taste of Melbourne has been my favourite food festival since I started blogging. It has a special place in my heart, I think because it was the first food festival I attended as a lover of food. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the preview event to this years festival, A Taste of Taste.

You can see my previous round ups of the festival here (2011, 2010, 2009, 2008) but this year they have new Spring dates and a new outdoor location to host it, which is great, because the Royal Exhibition Building as a venue was getting far too cramped last year. This year between 15-18 November it is being held at Albert Park Lake.

18 of Melbourne’s best restaurants will be on show with their tasting menus, as well as a Bertolli Taste Kitchen featuring Frank Camorra, Justin Wise and Philippa Sibley; Chef’s Skillery with Q&A sessions with top chefs; Sustainable Living hosted by Dirty Girl Kitchen; Malaysia Kitchen, Lilydale Gourmet Garden, Laurent-Perrier VIP Lounge, and over 100 artisan producers.

International guest chef this year is Nuno Mendes from Viajante in London, and he will sit on the judging panel for the Best in Taste Awards and will be onsite giving cooking demonstrations.

We sampled a handful of dishes at the launch, can’t wait to see the full menu at the event in November. Hope to see you there!

Tickets and more information are available through the website: www.tasteofmelbourne.com.au

The Point – Justin Wise

Kingfish crudo, horseradish and pommes pailles

Taxi Dining – Tony Twitchett

Oysters with spanner crab & green nam jim

Mahjong – Wah Feng

Dumplings

Mamasita – Scott Eddington

Elotes callejeros

Bishop of Ostia – Matt Wilkinson

Crispy pigs ear, chilli & rocket sandwich

The Aylesbury – Jess Gerner

Prawn burgers with crustacean aioli

Sake – Rose Ang

Wagyu tartare

Movida – Frank Camorra

Fidua Pasta

The Botanical – Selvina Lim

Yuzu cloud, coconut pearl & guava sorbet

Libertine – Nick Creswick

Apple & almond tartine with honeycomb ice-cream

Albert St Food & Wine – Philippa Sibley

Mini Lemon Tarts

Mr. Hive – John Lawson

Lolly Bags

Iron Chef Shellie attended Taste of Taste at The Point Albert Park thanks to Hot House Media

Comments

22 comments on “A Taste of Taste 2012
  1. Sarah - September 19, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Woah! You are way too fast!! :)

Your photos are beautiful and it looks like you had a great time. I couldn’t go to the launch cos I had work today, but I’m looking forward to the festival itself! I agree that it’s the best food festival in Melb!

2. Simon @ the heart of food - September 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Geez, you move quick. Wasn’t this just from today?

What was your favourite dish of the lot?

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

Lol, it was just from yesterday 😛

My favourites were: the oysters (I never eat oysters, have a phobia. But they were delicious!), the prawn burger, the corn, and the yuzu cloud :)

3. Winston - September 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Wuaaahhh you are WAY fast at this blogging thang. Hahhaha. But that’s good though. Anyway, this sounded like such an AMAZING meal looks like it’d be hard to really pick a favourite. Want them all. You guys must’ve had such a kickass time eating your way through the food. And I agree, Taste of Melbourne is awesome! Only been once last year but would def love to go back again this year. Too good!

4. Winnie @ Eat.Play.Shop. - September 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Wow you are very quick with your blog posts!! The food all look fab, I’m looking forward to visiting the revamped event this year.

5. Catherine - September 19, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Beautiful photos and The Point is such a lovely location as well :) The dishes look so much nicer than the past years, I look forward to going.

6. GourmetGetaways - September 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

Oh my, all the food looks so delicious! Makes me wish I was in Melbourne over the festival period! Gorgeous photos too !

7. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - September 20, 2012 at 7:29 am

Yay for lolly bags! You are on lightning speed Shellie! Haha

8. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - September 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

OMG you are so fast Shellie :) I remember seeing the pictures on Instagram last night and half expected your themomix thursday posts hehe but wow this is just as AMAZING to read in the morning hehe ~ I went to Taste of Melbourne for the first time last year and had so so so MUCH! I can’t wait to go again this year :) You are so lucky to have gone to the opening ~

Do you know when you are going to the Taste of Melb? I wonder if I’ll bump into you or if you’ll see me stuffing my face with food 😛 *oink oink oink*

9. Nic - September 20, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oh my god. I will be just turning up for the Apple & almond tartine with honeycomb ice-cream if nothing else!

10. Ames - September 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Lol, same comment as everyone else – YOU SO QUICK! What a great way to display the best of Melbourne – that apple and almond tartine looks so cute ^^

11. Chique Weiz - September 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love all the pictures! They are not only eye catching, they are much mouth watering!

12. Libby - September 20, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Nice!

I was a bit underwhelmed with previous years’ offerings but these dishes look awfully good. Maybe I WILL go this year haha!

13. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au - September 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

beautiful pictures. I think Melbourne has amazing food festivals and incredible food. Well done

14. Nic@diningwithastud - September 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

I need to come down for a Taste weekend! They always look so great. Gorgeous shots Shell :)

15. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry - September 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

So many wonderful foods… Loved the tiny burgers…

16. penny aka jeroxie - September 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Missing out this year and many many years… everything looks yummy!

17. Thanh - October 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Cant wait to hit up Taste this year. Should be fun being outdoors this year.