{Thermomix Thursday) Hainanese Chicken Rice

“This is my favourite dish to make in the Thermomix. Steam a whole chicken up top, whilst you cook the rice down below... at the same time!”

This week I’ve been play the ‘let’s clean out the fridge, freezer and pantry’ game. It possibly had something to do with me spending too much money on clothes (sorry Mum! I have occassions I need new threads for… I promise!!)

I bought a whole chicken a while ago, but ran out of time to use it, so I chucked it in the bottom drawer of the freezer and forgot all about it. Then I was scrounging around for protein to cook with when I found little chicky hiding from me. I originally bought the chicken for this dish, and was glad I could finally try this recipe out. Cooking a whole chicken or slab of meat scares me…. I’m usually scared I’ll just over cook the sh*t out of it. One of my lovely customers Jane (Hi Jane!!) has given me a recipe to try with a whole roast chicken which I STILL need to try. I promise I’ll get around to it soon Jane!

So, I bet you didn’t think you could cook a whole chicken with the Thermomix did you? Well good news is, YOU CAN! The best part is, whilst you are cooking that whole chicken (not cut up, left whole), you can cook the rice to serve with it at the same time, using the same machine……. did that just blow your mind? Add vegies in there too if you want!

The results were just as good as I get at my favorite Asian restaurants, and considering Hainanese chicken rice is one of my favourite dishes, that’s saying something. You can even make the ginger dipping sauce, and the chilli dipping sauce to go with it.

Can’t wait to make this again, and again… and again :)

——————–

Hainanese Chicken Rice

A Taste of Asia Cookbook

Chinese wine, salt, white pepper and sesame oil for rubbing
1 whole chicken (about 1.5–1.7 kg)
4 cloves garlic
1 spring onion/shallot, chopped in half
4 slices ginger, peeled
2 eschalots, peeled
1 tbsp oil
400g rice
Salt to taste
1-1.5 L chicken stock
1-2 pandan leaves (optional)

1. Mix 1-2 tsp Chinese wine, a little salt and pepper to taste and 1 tsp sesame oil in a small bowl. Rub this all over chicken and inside cavity. Stuff 2 cloves of the garlic, spring onion/shallot and 2 slices of the ginger inside chicken’s cavity and place into Varoma dish on top of a pair of chopsticks to help steam circulation. Set aside.
  2. Place remaining garlic, ginger, eschalots and oil into mixing bowl (chop on speed 8 for 8 seconds if you haven’t pre-chopped everything) and sauté for 2 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 2.
  3. Add rice and sauté for 2 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed 2.
  4. Add about a tsp of salt or to taste. Remove and set aside in basket.
  5. Place 1L of chicken stock into mixing bowl. Set Varoma into position and steam for 25-45 min/Varoma/speed 3 (depending upon size of chicken used).
  6. Top up chicken stock to 1L. Insert basket of rice with pandan leaves . Return Varoma dish to position and cook for 15 min/Varoma/speed 5.
  7. Chop up chicken and serve with rice and Chilli Dip, Ginger Dip (see Asian cookbook) and thick black soy sauce.

General Tips
To make a quick sauce to pour over chopped chicken, mix 3 tsp soy sauce with 2 tbsp hot water, ½ tsp sesame oil and ¼ tsp sugar and mix well.
You can add some vegetables to steam in the last 5-10 minutes of steaming chicken if desired.

Comments

20 comments on “{Thermomix Thursday) Hainanese Chicken Rice
  1. Tina @ bitemeshowme - August 30, 2012 at 8:17 am

You are an amazing woman. How you made this all in that Thermomix is beyond anything I know. It looks fan-friggen-tastic. Now I know what I want for lunch today….

2. Maria @ Feisty Tapas - August 30, 2012 at 9:10 am

Thanks so much for blogging this! I am definitely going to have to make it one day!

3. Catherine - August 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

That looks so good! Now you’ve got me craving…

4. Hannah - August 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

Oh my gosh, it’s so adorable that you still justify your spending to your mum! Oh mothers. God love ’em.

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - August 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love your Thermomix Thursdays because then I get to make whatever you’ve made on Fridays :) I have a little chicky in the freezer now with your name all over it!

6. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - August 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

What a simple but delicious sounding dinner!

7. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - August 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Omg! I love Hainanese chicken rice and I still can’t believe that you can cook it with the Thermomix. I always had to cook it manually and end up having so much to wash up. Grrr. I have a thermochef (i know it’s far more inferior) but do you reckon it would work as well?

8. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - August 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Wow I would never have thought of cooking chicken in there (and I love Hainanese chicken as well)

9. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - August 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

oh man….this would make ben so happy. I’d win wife of the year. Looks amazing, lady!

10. Nic@diningwithastud - August 31, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I freakin love that machine!

11. Agnes - September 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Wait, you’ve never roasted a whole chicken? Oh Shellie! :)

12. Kelly - September 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Awesome!! I shall send my mum the recipe as she has a thermomix too! And cooks almost exclusively with it.

13. Maria @ Feisty Tapas - September 7, 2012 at 1:14 am

Hi, I was just wondering about the Chinese wine for this. Does it need to be Chinese. Is it meant to be rice wine? Rice wine vinegar? I put Chinese wine in google uk and I’m not getting much.

14. Sammie - October 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Wowee zowee! I made this tonight, and it was absolutely delicious! What a great recipe! Yum-oh! And that’s the first time I’ve used the Varoma so pretty proud of myself!

15. Joolz - April 24, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hi shellie

Thank you for posting this! Ive just got a thermomix and I knew you could do hainan chicken in it. I was going to cut it into pieces and put it in the basket though.

When you say ‘ginger dip in the Asian cookbook’ is that the thermomix one?

16. Carolyn Brunt - December 13, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Hi,
    I have just purchased my thermomix too. I am wondering if I could do a duck like this recipe & finish in the oven to crisp it up?
    Many thanks