{Tales from the Belly of Iron Chef Shellie} Canelé • The Little Ox

Canelé

Have you had a canelé before?

Do you even know what a canelé is?

Move over macaron, this small French pastry is soft with a tender custard centre and a dark, thick caramelised crust. The custardy batter is baked in a mold, giving the canelé a caramlised crust and a custard-like inside. They are eaten for breakfast, snacks or desserts traditionally, and I’ve never had a problem with having cake for breakfast.

I have a recipe to try at home, but I feel l need to find the special mold first before I can make them.

I bought this one from Larder in Malvern, but there is a canelé man that is usually at the Sunday craft markets, you can also get them from French Fantasies in South Yarra and a few restaurants around Melbourne…. or Paris if you so choose to ;)

♠ ♠ ♠

The Little Ox

452 New St
Brighton VIC 3186
Phone: 03 9596 9577

Remember the Summer that has just gone…. it seems so long ago now that we are freakin freezing in Winter. Remember those endless days where it was SO unbearably hot, everyone was whinging how hot it was and there was no relief in sight?

… I do.. I don’t have air-con in my house, only a portable one that kept us somewhat sane. My bff Alana had just moved into her new house and hadn’t had a chance to install her aircon, so we were both hanging out for a cool change and dip in beach to cool down.

We drove to Brighton with hopes to just dive in and feel a cool, but when we got to Brighton, it was already at least 10 degrees cooler and looked like it could even rain! We decided to find somewhere to eat before we relaxed on the beach, and a quick urbanspoon led us here.

I had the cornfritters of course… and they were sensational. Served with extremely tasty grilled leg ham, mouth watering tomato relish, avo mash and an optional poached egg…. proving you can’t go wrong with corn fritters!

Alana had smashed avo with smoked salmon, which was perfect in the middle of a heat wave.

It’s a cute little spot, with a great range of cakes on offer as well. I’ll definitely be back.

The Little Ox   on Urbanspoon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
14 Responses to “{Tales from the Belly of Iron Chef Shellie} Canelé • The Little Ox”
  1. Maureen says:

Yes I’ve had a canelé in Paris. I’ve also tried (and failed) to make them at home. I don’t know where my little moulds are now. Maybe I should give it another go. It’s probably been ten years since I tried.
    Maureen recently posted..Food Writer Fridays – Say hello to Sawsan from ChefinDisguise.com

2. Michelle says:

I had the canele at cumulus. won’t say i am too impressed. won’t say that i’m depressed either.
    Michelle recently posted..Simply Cooking: Cheat Char Siu

3. Hannah says:

Try as I might, I can’t seem to fall for Caneles. Maybe because of the rum flavour? I do like the look of that smoked salmon though!
    Hannah recently posted..Raw Vegan Blondies with Chocolate Ganache Frosting

4. love2dine says:

that is awesome!
    love2dine recently posted..Char Kuey Teow

5. I’d like to try making caneles too. And can you believe I don’t think I’ve ever ordered corn fritters before? I really should next time I go out for a bite to eat.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..krua thai 2, richmond

6. Libby says:

Mmmm canelés and mmmm summer. Bring thems on!
    Libby recently posted..The Fantastic Mr Fox

7. Love canalés and love the Little Ox as well – have you been to Hawk & Hunter yet? Owned by the same guys and in Rippon Lea. Also very good although my heart may lie with The Little Ox.
    Cara @ Gourmet Chick recently posted..Izakaya Den

8. I dont know why you had to mention Summer!! Oh now Im sad. I have to say I dont really like cannel, they dont really do it for me….. but the breakfast in Brighton looks really good

9. Cristin Cogen says:

OK these pictures just made my stomach rumble. I need to try them.. looks so yummy!

10. I had my first taste of a Canele in France and I fell in love. I was so lucky that when I went to London, my friend had just found a new found love for them and baked them like mad. I kid you not, I had about 2 trays to myself in one evening… I love how the outside is a caremlised crust with soft innards! And yes, you definitely need the canele moulds.
    Tina @ bitemeshowme recently posted..Milk Bar by Cafe Ish, Redfern

11. Winston says:

I’M COMING FOR YOUUUUU, LITTLE OX!!! Sounds smashing I think I might’ve ordered those two items too if I saw them on the menu. Deliver a canele to me, can? I’ve still got 2hrs before dinner and I’m starveddd =OOOO

12. Amy says:

Mmmmm, yummy! I agree you certainly can’t go wrong with corn fritters, especially when avo mash, leg ham and poached eggs are involved. Oh, and I hadn’t heard of a canele before, but I think I need to eat one NOW!
    Amy recently posted..Broad bean and coriander hummus

13. Thanh says:

Caneles are the new black. Mmmm.
    Thanh recently posted..Heirloom – Modern Izakaya and Sake Bar