Poulet Valee D’Auge (Norman Style Chicken with Jazz Apples)

It’s the season for sweet, crunchy Jazz.

Jazz Apples that is! Jazz Apples are a cross between Gala and Braeburn apples. What does that mean if you don’t know your apples? It means they have a firm but dense flesh and a tangy, sweet flavour. The season lasts from mid-April until October.

330,000 Jazz trees are grown in specially selected regions of Australia, including Batlow (NSW), Huon Valley (TAS), Adelaide Hills (SA), Stanthorpe (QLD), Manjimp (WA), Northern Tasmania and Southern Victoria. It’s a relatively new type of apple, with the first crops starting in 2007.

Jazz Apples are available from all major supermarkets and food retailers nation wide.

Cooking with apples I only sort of reserved for desserts like apple and cinnamon tea cake, but Fast Ed has come up with a whole range of recipes as part of being the Jazz Apples ambassador. I’ve given his chicken and apple recipe a go and it was fantastic. Hamsley couldn’t stop raving about it, he took care of eating all the leftovers for me :P

For more great recipes head to:  http://jazzapple.com.au/index.php/recipes

Poulet Valee D’Auge (Norman Style Chicken with Jazz Apples)

Ed Halmagyi – ‘Fast Ed’

• 3 Jazz apples (500g), peeled and cut into wedges
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 brown onion, finely diced
  • 1 large chicken, cut into four pieces
  • 125ml (½ cup) Calvados or dry apple cider
  • 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
  • salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
  • 125g (½ cup) crème fraîche
  • 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 200°C.
Sauté the apple pieces and bay leaves in half the butter in a frying pan set
over a moderate heat for 4 minutes, until lightly-browned, then add the onion
and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.

Fry the chicken pieces
in the remaining butter for 3 minutes each side, until browned, then return the
apple mixture. Pour in the Calvados and cook until almost evaporated, then add
the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes, then season with salt and
pepper. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken
is firm and the sauce has begun to thicken.

Mix in the crème fraîche and parsley, then serve.

Iron Chef Shellie sampled Jazz Apples thanks to Media Moguls.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
17 Responses to “Poulet Valee D’Auge (Norman Style Chicken with Jazz Apples)”
  1. Michelle says:

I love jazz apples too! A bit pricey though.
    Michelle recently posted..Review: RM 28++ Antipasti Lunch Buffet @ Spasso Milano, Pavilion KL

2. Ohh that’s why there’s so many Jazz apple recipes :) its because it’s the jazz apple season hehe I don’t think I’ve tried them before but I’m gonna go buy some tomorrow YAY! Thanks for sharing Shellie :D
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Thanks Kirk – Chocolate Orange Tart

3. I need to get into roasted apples, they look soooooo good!
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Wine. Easter. Family. Food.

4. Mmmm sounds yummy! I normally don’t like fruit in savoury dishes but apples seem to be the exception. I think it is because they absorb other flavours so well and add such a nice complexity to a dish.
    Lisa @ Blithe Moments recently posted..Poached Quince

5. Jessa Kate says:

Thanks for sharing with us this delicious recipe, I want to share this great taste with my family…
    Jessa Kate recently posted..Traitement pour acné

6. Thanks for reminding me that Jazz are in season – love roasted apple and it goes so well with pork as well.
    Cara @ Gourmet Chick recently posted..Albert St Food and Wine

7. Kathrryn says:

Chicken and apples? I have never tried it at all.. This is actually a good idea and I want to experiment too..
    Kathrryn recently posted..disabled cars

8. Aidan Hicks says:

I’m not into that kind of fruits that’s why I rarely eat dishes with apples . But that looks different. How do you pronounce the word? From the name of the dish, you can say that it is something worth trying for.
    Aidan Hicks recently posted..MSDSonline Teams up with ASSE and Jennifer Silk for GHS Webinar on April 19

9. Ashley says:

Ooh, love cooked apples in my desserts, but never had them with chicken…sounds fab though! :)
    Ashley recently posted..Chez Olivier

10. msihua says:

Oh where oh where are my crunchy Jazz apples?
    msihua recently posted..MFWF 2012 Express Lunch: Maha Bar & Grill @ Bond St, Melbourne CBD

11. ooohhh chicken and apples actually sounds good together! I think apples taste better when they’re roasted/baked!
    Vien @ We Dare Food recently posted..Mocha Macarons

12. YUMMY!!!

What a great dish, I love the sound of the apples, cider and bay leaf combination! Delicious!
    Gourmet getaways recently posted..The Hunger Games Slow Cooked Lamb & Plum Stew

13. Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

This looks like a simple yet beautiful recipe. I have been craving to cook chicken differently since I tasted a fantastic spatchcock interpretation recently by a professional cook at a friend’s house.

14. Love the sound of this recipe. I have never heard of Jazz apples before, will be looking out for them from now on.
    Sara (Belly Rumbles) recently posted..Banana Bread & Butter Pudding, Hospital and Guest Post on One Bite More

15. Born27 says:

That looks savory. Yum yum, I’m getting hungry. Let’s do the jazz! :)
    Born27 recently posted..Conference Call Phones

16. Heidi19 says:

These look absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making these with my kids. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Heidi19 recently posted..Arowana – a prized investment catch or …

17. Sandra92 says:

I can smelter the delicious aroma of this recipe… Hmmmm… Yummy!