Gong Xi Fa Cai – Happy Chinese New Year & Pineapple Tarts

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Traditional new year biscuits are very tedious to make, and pineapple tarts are no exception. I usually help my mum make peanut cookies, or she will make kueh bangkit, and my aunty will make kuih kapit which I learnt to make last year.

Pineapple tarts are one of my favourites, and I always looked forward to someone bringing them back from Malaysia. I tried buying them at the Asian grocer in Melbourne one year, and there was barely any filling, and they didn’t taste good. So this year, I decided to give them a go myself. I ended up making two batched using different recipes.

The most successful batch was using Bryan’s recipe. It uses fresh pineapple instead of tinned, which gives for a more juicer and better filling. The first batch I made was using tinned pineapple and a different recipe and I can promise, although grating fresh pineapple is a lot of work, it is well worth the effort. Plus you get fresh, additive free pineapple juice to keep you going whilst making the tarts!

Mum picked me up the tart mould a few years ago when she was in Malaysia, but if you don’t have a mould, you can make the pillow shaped cookies.

Oh no! Look who found the cookies!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
17 Responses to “Gong Xi Fa Cai – Happy Chinese New Year & Pineapple Tarts”
  1. Happy Chinese New Year Michelle – I’ve been waiting to see these since you’ve been tweeting all the lovely pics! The mould would be a wonderful little gadget to have – makes the cookies so much more festive! And I totally agree with you on the topping point.
    Martyna @ WholesomeCook recently posted..{5 ingredient} Grilled turkey and peach salad

2. everyone seem to love pineapple tarts! i feel that they are the best!
    Michelle chin recently posted..RM 45 for 3 high tea in Kuala Lumpur?

3. EatPlayShop says:

I’ve never eaten Pineapple Tarts that are NOT pillow shaped, but these flower ones look so nice! Do you think the pineapple grating bit can be done in the thermomix?
    EatPlayShop recently posted..Eat. @ Manchester Press

4. Your pineapple tarts look awesome! Happy New Year – and bring on the Year of the Dragon! :D
    Helen (Grab Your Fork)\ recently posted..Macleay St Bistro, Potts Point

5. Hannah says:

That better be the Cookie Monster before he got all lame and PC and vegetable-enjoying. *glares at screen*

Delicious looking tarts! Bravo indeed :)

6. These look so lovely! Happy New Year!
    Anna @The Littlest Anchovy recently posted..Pork Ribs With Sticky, Sweet and Spicy Plum Sauce

7. Happy CNY!! I have loved watching these babies on your instagram feed – how pretty are they! I’ve never tried one though, never even seen them before you introduced me to them!
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Diner Girls

8. Looks gorgeous!

Love the cookie monster shot :)
    Gourmet getaways recently posted..Happy Chinese New Year – Roast Chinese Duck

9. Happy New Year Shellie :) Your pineapple tarts look fantastic. Love what you did with Cookie Monster. haha
    Tina @ bitemeshowme recently posted..Chinese New Year Peanut Cookie Bites

10. msihua says:

So so so pretty! Where is my container now? I’m coming over to self-take-away!
    msihua recently posted..A Happy Chinese New Year (Gong Xi Fa Cai), My Dear Readers!

11. Fiona says:

Happy Chinese New Year :) Those pineapple tarts look so yum. My hubby makes these using his grandmas recipe, hmmm think I need to convine him to makeme a batch soon yum!

12. Yummy! I see so many people making them but I don’t think I’ve ever had any pineapple tarts ~ I think it’s more of a Malaysian tradition ~ can’t wait to try some!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Happy CNY – Food Galore

13. Mez says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

But Shellie… seriously, I cannot look at your posts where the food is faboosh but I can’t eat it huhuhuhuhuhuuuu

Apparently the other day Hamish was reading twitter and you said something about “cooking for H” and he got excited for a moment because he thought you were cooking for him…. then he thought maybe that wasn’t true… so he came home and asked me if your bf’s name is Hamish and I said yes… and he said “oh, I got excited because I thought Shellie was cooking something for me”.

… idiot…
    Mez recently posted..Strictly Confidential Roxy Jacenko yaaayaayayayayaa

14. Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

Kung Hei Fatt Choy to you and your family! Those pineapple tarts look a touch more classy than the ones I see at the shops and I love that cute photo at the end, better keep him away from the tarts! :)
    Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan recently posted..2012 Chinese New Year of the Dragon feasts

15. Cute tarts Mate, hope you had a nice day off on Australia Day
    tania@mykitchenstories recently posted..Teenager Food

16. April says:

You are so lucky to have your mum and Aunt teach you how to make all the Malaysian specialties! I hope you didn’t eat too many pineapple tarts since it looked like you made heaps!
    April recently posted..Travel: Bali, Indonesia

17. Bryan says:

OMG I didn’t know you mentioned my recipe….! Thank you! =) after two years of not making it, I plan to make it again this year, this time shall follow little teochew’s tips!

Btw the link to my recipe in your post is now defunct cos it was linking to my old blogspot website which no longer exists. Thanks again for the kind mention!
    Bryan recently posted..Lemon Middle & Orange | Gelato Messina