Gong Xi Fa Cai – Happy Chinese New Year & Pineapple Tarts

“Gong Xi Fa Cai! Traditional new year biscuits are very tedious to make, and pineapple tarts are no exception. I usually help my mum make peanut cookies, or she will make kueh bangkit, and my aunty will make kuih kapit which I learnt to make last year. Pineapple tarts are one of my favourites, and...”

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Pineapple tarts are one of my favourites, and I always looked forward to someone bringing them back from Malaysia. I tried buying them at the Asian grocer in Melbourne one year, and there was barely any filling, and they didn’t taste good. So this year, I decided to give them a go myself. I ended up making two batched using different recipes.

The most successful batch was using Bryan’s recipe. It uses fresh pineapple instead of tinned, which gives for a more juicer and better filling. The first batch I made was using tinned pineapple and a different recipe and I can promise, although grating fresh pineapple is a lot of work, it is well worth the effort. Plus you get fresh, additive free pineapple juice to keep you going whilst making the tarts!

Mum picked me up the tart mould a few years ago when she was in Malaysia, but if you don’t have a mould, you can make the pillow shaped cookies.

Comments

17 comments on “Gong Xi Fa Cai – Happy Chinese New Year & Pineapple Tarts
  1. Martyna @ WholesomeCook - January 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Happy Chinese New Year Michelle – I’ve been waiting to see these since you’ve been tweeting all the lovely pics! The mould would be a wonderful little gadget to have – makes the cookies so much more festive! And I totally agree with you on the topping point.

2. Michelle chin - January 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

everyone seem to love pineapple tarts! i feel that they are the best!

3. EatPlayShop - January 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’ve never eaten Pineapple Tarts that are NOT pillow shaped, but these flower ones look so nice! Do you think the pineapple grating bit can be done in the thermomix?

4. Helen (Grab Your Fork)\ - January 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Your pineapple tarts look awesome! Happy New Year – and bring on the Year of the Dragon! :D

5. Hannah - January 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That better be the Cookie Monster before he got all lame and PC and vegetable-enjoying. *glares at screen*

Delicious looking tarts! Bravo indeed :)

6. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy - January 22, 2012 at 10:13 pm

These look so lovely! Happy New Year!

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 23, 2012 at 5:55 am

Happy CNY!! I have loved watching these babies on your instagram feed – how pretty are they! I’ve never tried one though, never even seen them before you introduced me to them!

8. Gourmet getaways - January 23, 2012 at 6:33 am

Looks gorgeous!

Love the cookie monster shot :)

9. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

Happy New Year Shellie :) Your pineapple tarts look fantastic. Love what you did with Cookie Monster. haha

10. msihua - January 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

So so so pretty! Where is my container now? I’m coming over to self-take-away!

11. Fiona - January 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Happy Chinese New Year :) Those pineapple tarts look so yum. My hubby makes these using his grandmas recipe, hmmm think I need to convine him to makeme a batch soon yum!

12. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Yummy! I see so many people making them but I don’t think I’ve ever had any pineapple tarts ~ I think it’s more of a Malaysian tradition ~ can’t wait to try some!

13. Mez - January 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

But Shellie… seriously, I cannot look at your posts where the food is faboosh but I can’t eat it huhuhuhuhuhuuuu

Apparently the other day Hamish was reading twitter and you said something about “cooking for H” and he got excited for a moment because he thought you were cooking for him…. then he thought maybe that wasn’t true… so he came home and asked me if your bf’s name is Hamish and I said yes… and he said “oh, I got excited because I thought Shellie was cooking something for me”.

… idiot…

14. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan - January 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

Kung Hei Fatt Choy to you and your family! Those pineapple tarts look a touch more classy than the ones I see at the shops and I love that cute photo at the end, better keep him away from the tarts! :)

15. tania@mykitchenstories - January 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Cute tarts Mate, hope you had a nice day off on Australia Day

16. April - January 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

You are so lucky to have your mum and Aunt teach you how to make all the Malaysian specialties! I hope you didn’t eat too many pineapple tarts since it looked like you made heaps!

17. Bryan - January 24, 2014 at 8:39 pm

OMG I didn’t know you mentioned my recipe….! Thank you! =) after two years of not making it, I plan to make it again this year, this time shall follow little teochew’s tips!

Btw the link to my recipe in your post is now defunct cos it was linking to my old blogspot website which no longer exists. Thanks again for the kind mention!

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)