Stollen (Attempt 1)

“The tradition of Stollen in our family is: Mum buys loads at the boxing day sales and we eat them throughout the year. For those that don’t know what Stollen is, it’s a loaf-shaped cake with dried fruits, nuts and spices, with marzipan inside and coating with icing sugar on the outside; traditionally eaten at Christmas...”

December 11, 2011

The tradition of Stollen in our family is: Mum buys loads at the boxing day sales and we eat them throughout the year. For those that don’t know what Stollen is, it’s a loaf-shaped cake with dried fruits, nuts and spices, with marzipan inside and coating with icing sugar on the outside; traditionally eaten at Christmas time in Germany.

This year I thought I’d give it a go myself, but I think I’ll be giving a few recipes a go, as I wasn’t that impressed by this one. I’m used to the ones that come out of the packet I guess. Perhaps it was too dry, and my marzipan was a bit too old I think, hence why it looks yellow, but ah well, you gotta start somewhere.

Has anyone got an awesome Stollen recipe they can share?!… and whilst you’re at it a Panettone recipe too!?

Stollen (Thermomix Recipe)

Recipe from UK Thermomix Site

180 g granulated sugar, divided 120 g and 60 g
½ lemon, thinly peeled rind only
120 g butter
1 large egg
40 g fresh yeast or 3 tsp dried instant yeast (bread machine yeast)
350 gm strong white bread flour
¼ tsp salt
50 g milk
40 g dried apricots, cut in thirds
30 g mixed candied peel
30 glacé cherries rinsed and dried, preferably naturally coloured
30 g flaked almonds
40 g currants
60 g sultanas
180 g marzipan (home made Thermomix marzipan or store bought)

1. Weigh 120 g sugar into TM bowl, grind to icing sugar 30 seconds/Speed 10. Set aside for the glaze.
  2. Weigh 60 g sugar into TM bowl, add the lemon peelings, grind 30 seconds/Speed 10.
  3. Add all remaining ingredients except the fruit and nuts and marzipan. Knead 2 minutes/Dough Setting. Remove dough from bowl by turning bowl upside down and releasing blades. The blade unit will fall out, pulling most of the dough with it. Add fruit and nuts and knead in by hand. Shape into a round ball and place into a greased bowl, greasing all sides of the dough. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This may take 3 or 4 hours.
  4. Punch the dough to release the air, knead by hand a few times until smooth and elastic. Roll or press it into an oblong shape about 8 x 10 inches (20 x 25 cm). Form the marzipan into a sausage shape and place it on the dough. Fold the dough over the marzipan and place the loaf, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size. This will probably take 2 to 4 hours.
  5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 375 °F/ 190°C/ gas mark 5. Loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Allow to cool about 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then place on a rack to finish cooling.
  6. Mix reserved icing sugar and the juice of the ½ lemon together and drizzle over the loaf.

Comments

18 comments on “Stollen (Attempt 1)
  1. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - December 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Wish I could help :( But I’ve never had a Stollen before.
    Hope you find a recipe that you like soon ~

2. Vien @ We Dare Food - December 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I’ve never tried this before! Do they sell them in Bakers Delight? Cause I might have seen something like this before but I might be wrong!
    Hehe have fun with your Thermomix! I could only dream of getting one…. 😉

3. Jackie - December 12, 2011 at 8:06 am

I will probably be struck down for saying this, but Margaret Fulton’s recipe for stollen in her Christmas book is rubbish. Won’t form a dough, it’s horrible – I have to conclude there is a error in the transcription of the recipe as I can’t stand the though of the legendary MF steering me wrong!

I’ve just used recipes on the internet when I’ve made mine – I think a good one was on the BBC Good Food site but I can’t recall exactly.

I don’t like marzipan so I leave it out :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - December 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thanks for the tip about Margaret Fulton’s recipe! I’ll def check BBC Good Food, thanks 😀

4. Nic@diningwithastud - December 12, 2011 at 8:45 am

It still looks nice. I actually like the yellow – its a pretty colour on the inside :) fab first attempt! I know Daring Bakers did one a little while ago – have a check on their site as they offered the recipe and everyones seemed to turn out well.

5. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - December 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm

My recipe involves a trip to Aldi. Honestly they have the best ones, even a hazelnut one this year – it has hazelnet marzipan!

My grandmother used to make it, so I’m sure there is a family recipe somewhere but I think both Mum and I have agreed, the Aldi stuff is so good and cheaper than we could buy the ingredients for, that we are flaking out.

Good luck with the trials though. I hope you find that perfect moist yet crumbly combination.

(P.S. The shape is meant to look like baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes if you ever wondered why it traditionally has that sort of fold over the top).

6. Lizzy (Good Things) - December 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hi, good work. I have not seen stollen with icing on it, the stollen is usually dusted with a thick coating of icing sugar. For a recipe, try the SBS Food web site.

• Iron Chef Shellie - December 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Lizzy, I’ll try the SBS website.

It’s the first one I’ve seen with icing instead of icing sugar too!

7. Jenny - December 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I love stollen but am very familiar with the store bought ones which are always imported. I made one once, and while it was nice, it bore no resemblance to a store bought one and I’ve never tried it again. Hope you find a good recipe and I’ll be following you to see if you do.

8. penny aka jeroxie - December 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Not have a stollen before. Might just attempt to bake so that I can try it!

9. Justin - December 14, 2011 at 7:16 am

Not sure I’m convinced by the icing on top. I tried Peter Reinhart’s stollen recipe from ‘The Bread Baker’s Apprentice’ which was pretty good, though it perhaps could have been a touch moister.

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

I can’t help either! I am very impressed nonetheless. I hope you find a great recipe, how lovely to make it yourself :)

11. Jennifer (Delicieux) - December 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

Sorry Shellie, I can’t help as I’ve never had stollen before, but I’d like to make one given my fiance’s German heritage. I’d be interested to hear if you do find a great recipe.

12. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - December 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Haha love your mum’s thinking. I do the same with shortbread, damn, my secret is out!

You are totally flooring me with what you are able to achieve with your Thermomix. Attempt 1 looks pretty fine to me :)