Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne

“I must confess, I’m enjoying going through my cookbooks finding healthier options to eat, and knowing I can have comfort food, without feeling like I’m the size of a Viking. In fact, I’m 2.5kg down from where I started, and my work out buddy reckons I’ve shrank around the torso over the weekend; so I...”

Recipes | November 22, 2011
Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne

Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne

I must confess, I’m enjoying going through my cookbooks finding healthier options to eat, and knowing I can have comfort food, without feeling like I’m the size of a Viking. In fact, I’m 2.5kg down from where I started, and my work out buddy reckons I’ve shrank around the torso over the weekend; so I must be doing something right 😀

A book I bought a while back “Comfort Food without the Boombah” by Jane Kennedy has come back off the shelf and I decided to give her recipe for chilli a whirl, with a few adaptions along the way. She leaves out the beans as they are quite carby, although I did serve mine with rice (a small scoop for me, and a bigger portion for Hamsley… don’t need to hear him complain about how hungry he is 5 minutes later), and our favourite Mexican corn! I did have leftovers without and rice and found it made a filling meal on it’s own.

It made for a tasty dinner without us feeling weighed down. The chilli certainly had a kick to it thanks to that trusty cayenne pepper. I will be making this again next week, as Hamsley got upset when there weren’t any leftovers left for him 😛

P.S. Do you like my new blog header? :)

Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne

1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
250g tomato passata
1 x 400g tin tomatoes, crushed
300ml salt reduced beef stock
1 bay leaf
freshly ground pepper

To serve options: light Greek yoghurt, avocado, grated light tasty cheese

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gently cook the onion and garlic, then add all the dried spices to the mixture and stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
  2. Add the beef and cook until it just changes colour. Add the tomato passata, tinned tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaf and some freshly ground pepper and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. To serve, ladle the chilli into bowls and serve with a dollop of yoghurt, or 1/4 of an avocado.

Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne

Comments

18 comments on “Boombah Free Texas Chilli Con Carne
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - November 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

This is the kind of food I can gobble up in no time. Also, leaving out the beans actually makes it more authentic!

2. Michael - November 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Nice header – caught my attention. Delicious and uncomplicated con carne. I’d throw in a few red chilli pepper for some heat too.

3. Winston - November 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ahhh!! Recipe looks good and great idea to pair it with Ellie’s mexican corn recipe for a mexican fiestaaa hahaha… Btw, LOVE your new header, Michele!! Looks fantastic =D

4. Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne - November 23, 2011 at 5:07 am

2.5kg!! That is impressive, girl! And the new blog header is lovely, very Tijuana, margherita and other vowel-ending words you’d see in a holiday pamphlet 😉 Like chilli con carne perhaps?

5. Leah - November 23, 2011 at 6:16 am

Love the new header!

Seriously need to make me some of that CORN!!!

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 23, 2011 at 8:34 am

Yes you do! Make sure you use fresh lime juice, not that stuff outta the bottle, makes all the difference.

6. Michelle chin - November 23, 2011 at 8:08 am

what a cute header!!! is it for summer only?

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 23, 2011 at 8:17 am

YAHOO! congrats, that’s beyond awesome!! Great work :) This looks so good, I’m such a chilli fan. & yes, I love the header, perfect for summer – it makes me happy hehe.

8. Nic@diningwithastud - November 23, 2011 at 9:49 am

Love the blog header 😀
    I actually bought this book ages ago but havent had a chance to make anything out of it yet. Love that she took out the beans. As much as they are good for you, they’re really high in calories. Ummmm that corn looks ah maze ing!

9. Vien @ We Dare Food - November 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Your new header is adorable! 😀 Love the colours on the flip flops!
    hhmmm… it’s interesting to see cocoa powder on the ingredient list!

10. Gourmet getaways - November 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Oh the food bloggers curse. I lost 7.5kg over 1 year which had crept on with my love of food. This dish looks really yummy, and just what you need if you are working out, a nice tasty source of protien :)