Cooking with Spring Garlic

“Yes it looks more like a spring onion, but it is actually spring garlic. Spring garlic is the garlic planted and harvested before the bulb has formed. It has a more mild flavour, which means it can be eaten raw in salads, but also makes for the most delicious garlic bread. The whole plant can...”

October 12, 2011

The whole plant can be used, from the small white bulb to the green parts at the end.

The garlic bread I made with it was irresistible…. and the pasta was too! I’m going to be making this recipe again very soon. I suggest you try spring garlic and give your garlic bread a much needed kick with chilli :)

Parmesan Spring Garlic Bread

• 80g butter, softened
  • 1 spring garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 large Turkish bread
  1. Preheat oven grill to 180°C.
  2. Combine butter, spring garlic and chilli in small saucepan over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes to melt the butter and lightly cook the spring garlic. Do not burn garlic.
  3. Brush or drizzle over top of Turkish bread. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is golden brown. Enjoy hot.

Tomato & Chorizo Pasta with Spring Garlic

• 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 2 chorizo sausages, sliced and halved
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 spring garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 cups tomato passata
  • 250ml water
  • 400g penne pasta
  • baby rocket, to serve
  • parmesan cheese, to serve
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay tomatoes on trat and drizzle with a little olive oil. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until collapsed and lightly caramelised.
  2. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining chorizo. Discard oil from chorizo.
  3. In a clean saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and spring garlic. Spread out in pan, so onion and garlic makes contact with hot pan base. Cover with lid and allow onion and spring garlic to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The heat must be medium to low enough to sizzle, but not so hot that the onion browns. The onion and spring garlic will have a wonderful sweet, mellow flavour. There must be enough oil to assist the onion to ‘stew’ slightly.
  4. Add passata and water. Simmer of 20 minutes.
  5. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instruction or until al dente. Drain pasta, add chorizo, roasted cherry tomatoes and tomato sauce. Toss pasta in saucepan to cot.
  6. Serve topped with rocket and shaved parmesan cheese.

Iron Chef Shellie received spring garlic samples courtesy of Australian Garlic Pty. Ltd.

Comments

9 comments on “Cooking with Spring Garlic
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Love it, I was just reading about spring garlic on another blog recently. I’ll have to keep an eye out for them!

2. Winston - October 13, 2011 at 12:52 am

What thuh WHAT?! Never heard/seen spring garlic in my life! But I’d love to make that spring garlic bread now, looks deelish! I hope it’s not going to be too awkward for me next time I’m in the market and asking the vendors if they have spring GARLIC, not spring onion… Oh dear………

3. Michelle chin - October 13, 2011 at 7:04 am

So can it be said that spring garlic has a milder taste compared to garlic bread?

4. Gourmet getaways - October 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

Looks so delicious, I love chilli too so I will be adding that to my garlic bread in the future as well.

5. Nic@diningwithastud - October 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Chilli garlic bread? Genius!!

6. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - October 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I have always wondered what spring garlic is! I will definitely get some next time I see it now that I know. Yay for new season veggies!

7. Bianca @ The Cooking Capers - October 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm

How have I never heard about spring garlic?! I am a complete and utter garlic lover! And… I’ll eat raw garlic LOL. Well, it has to be in/on something :P I don’t just eat the cloves on their own! Oh boy, another chorizo recipe!? Yuuuuum! This actually looks a lot like a chorizo pasta dish I make :D I mix olives and spinach through mine, mmm!

8. msihua - October 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Ooo…. what an interesting specimen… I don’t know if I’ve ever had spring garlic before, but I suspect cooking them would be similar to chives? YES?

9. penny aka jeroxie - October 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Spring garlic…. interesting. and love that every single part can be used.

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)