Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon Butter

“I’m nearly done sorting and recycling all my billions of cooking magazines I’ve been hoarding. Let me just say, it’s the best thing I’ve done for a while. I’m finding all these amazing recipes I forgot about (this one included) and making more space to store other random junk we have accumulated. I just have...”

Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon Butter

I’m nearly done sorting and recycling all my billions of cooking magazines I’ve been hoarding. Let me just say, it’s the best thing I’ve done for a while. I’m finding all these amazing recipes I forgot about (this one included) and making more space to store other random junk we have accumulated. I just have a small pile of Jamie Oliver magazines to go through then I should be done. No doubt I’ll find a box of magazine when we move, but I really hope I don’t!

I’m loving that blueberries are so cheap at the moment. I’ve been buying them and just nomming on them at work for afternoon tea. Much healthier than chocolate, or some other calorie loaded crapola.

Every time I make pancakes, I am reminded at how crap of a pancake flipper I am. By the end of it I’m pretty pro though. I just have to remember, wait for the bubbles to start forming on top, THEN flip. NO EARLIER!!

These are super easy to make, and so light and fluffy. I’ll be keeping this recipe on hand to make more often! But, beware, I have a box of magazine rip outs to cook my way through, some have already ended up in the bin, some in the filing folder. I’ll show you how I file my recipes soon at the request of some people on twitter :)

Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon Butter

Rick Stein

Make butter a day ahead.

• 50g unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
  • 175ml each buttermilk and milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • icing sugar, to dust

Blueberry & Lemon Butter

• 1 punnet (150g) blueberries
  • 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
  • finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  1. For butter, cook berries, sugar and juice in a small pan over low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to medium-low for 1 minute until fruit just bursts. Add butter and zest. Remove from heat. Stir to combine (don’t crush berries). Pour into 4 ramekins and chill for 2-3 hours until thick (it won’t harden).
  2. For pancakes, melt butter in a small pan over low heat. Pour top layer of clear (clarified) butter into a bowl. Discard milky layer at base. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in centre, add milks and eggs and whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
  3. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Brush with a little clarified butter. Using 1/4 cup (60ml) batter for each, pour 2-3 pancakes into pan, spaced well apart.
  4. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on top. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute until golden. Keep warm while you cook remaining pancakes, brushing pan with more butter between batches.
  5. Pile 3 pancakes on each plate and serve with a ramekin of butter. Dust with icing sugar.

Comments

17 comments on “Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon Butter
  1. Alana - October 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!

2. Winston - October 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Michele your pancakes look PERFECT. I love Rick Stein recipes so thanks for sharing this! Have never made them with buttermilk and baking powder but I really need to start after looking at how yours turned out! NOMZTOTHEMAX! =D

3. msihua - October 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Those pancakes look amazingly delicious.. I can almost smell the berries! YUM!

4. Kyla - October 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

These look so good! Inspired by the picture you posted of them on twitter I made pancakes for breakfast yesterday. I used Maggie Beer’s recipe for oatmeal pancakes and served with lemon curd and fresh blueberries. Think I will try these next weekend!

5. Girl About Town - October 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Gorgeous recipe and photos! I know what you mean about all those old cooking mags, having a huge and ever increasing pile to go through myself. Looking forward to hearing about your recipe filing system.

6. Mez - October 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

This looks INSANE good.

Pancakes are such a staple in our house but I never stray from my usual recipe.. might give this a whirl, the blueberry and lemon combo sounds so dreamy.

xox

7. kristy @ ksayerphotography - October 11, 2011 at 7:03 am

Your pancakes look perfect!
    I loveeee blueberries, I manage to go through punnets and punnets of them when they’re in season and bag after bag of frozen ones when they’re not 😛

I’m a pretty bad pancake flipper too, don’t worry. But since eliminating gluten I have only made single serve batches so I pour the mix into a mini cake tin or ramekin and throw it into the oven for 15-20 minutes – easy healthy pancake cake for one!

8. Michelle chin - October 11, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’m waiting for blueberries to get a little more cheaper!

9. Leah - October 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

These look so good!!! I want them NOW!
    I really love your white plate. Where did you get that???

10. Martyna @ WholesomeCook - October 11, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh my gosh! I don’t make pancakes enough obviously! Delicious!

11. Swee San @The Sweet Spot - October 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Lovely pancakes and the blueberries.. yumm.. Buttermilk is good in pancake, have u tried ricotta? It’s awesome too..

12. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - October 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Yum-o! I love experimenting with pancakes, there are a few tips here that will have to be incorporated next time.

13. aargle - October 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have made these as I have a Rick Stein cookbook with this recipe in it although haven’t bothered with the blueberry and lemon butter. I usually serve them with maple syrup, strawberries greek yoghurt and sliced banana. The pancakes work perfectly every time.

14. Jay - October 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm

wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    love your space..
    happy following u..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

15. Agnes - October 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I cleaned out all my food mags this year as well. Best decision ever! It feels so good to declutter. :)

PS: Pancakes look AWESOME.