Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa

“It’s that time of year again folks. The time where you look for recipes that won’t add more to your spare tyre situation you accumulated during the winter time. This recipe is the recipe for you! Easy to make, will please just about anyone, and it’s damn, damn delicious! Mez from Blithely Unaware had been...”

Recipes | September 26, 2011
Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa

Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa

Mez from Blithely Unaware had been tweeting about awesome prawn tacos she and her Hamish had been perfecting, and I couldn’t take it anymore; I had to make some for myself! I’ve been ripping out recipes from my hoards of cooking magazines and found this beauty.

It was a rare occasion where the supermarket didn’t have any avocados, only organic ones that were hard as a rock, so I was about to go in search for them elsewhere when I found these in the freezer section for about $5.

Back to the fajitas. They are delicious. The chilli gives it a nice kick, and the coriander gives it a nice freshness. I’ll be making this one again for sure!

Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa

1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
20 green prawns (about 1kg), peeled, deveined
4 x 25cm flour tortillas, warmed according to packet instructions

Avocado & Tomato Salsa

1 large avocado, diced
1 large tomato, seed removed and diced
1 small red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Juice of 1/2-1 lime, to taste

1. For the salsa, place ingredients in a bowl, stir gently to combine, then set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum, garlic and ground coriander and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes until softened.

3. Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the prawns and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and are cooked through. Combine the prawns with the onion mixture.

4. Divide the prawn mixture among warm tortillas, top with salsa, then wrap and serve immediately.

Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa

Comments

12 comments on “Prawn Fajitas with Spicy Avocado & Tomato Salsa
  1. Mez - September 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm

LOVE IT

Guess what we are literally cooking for dinner right now….. THIS.. well Hamish’s version. SO good!!

xox

2. Hannah - September 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Bahaha, I totally blogged a photo of that frozen avocado once, and almost every commenter replied with “WTF?” 😛 I don’t know whether I’m glad or not that they tasted okay 😛

The fajitas, however, are unequivocally appealing!

3. Leah - September 27, 2011 at 6:27 am

I’ve been seeing these frozen avocados for ages now. Are they any good?

The prawn fajita’s look fantastic!

4. Michelle chin - September 27, 2011 at 8:33 am

it’s nice how the avocados here look so green. i love hass avocados over other types of avocados!

5. Winston - September 27, 2011 at 11:42 am

The colours are so vibrant and appetising! I like anything with a nice spicy “kick” in the end. YUM

6. April@MyFoodTrail - September 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I wouldn’t think avocados would freeze well, but obviously they do! Can you tell the difference between a fresh one?

At least with these avocados, you can be guaranteed you don’t get blemished or rotten ones! There have been a number of times I’ve spent $2-$3 for an avocado only to find it’s all brown inside and I’ve got to head to the shops again to get another one!

P.S. My browser doesn’t like your site. It always tells me there’s a problem with scripts and it needs to stop running them.

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm

They taste pretty much as normal avos. I agree, I’ve had a few horrible fresh avos, either rotten or really stringy =/

Someone else has told me about the scripts issue, are you viewing in an old version of Explorer?

7. msihua - September 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

That looks so good… I just remembered, we’re nearly neighbours right? HOWDY!!!!

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

My girlfriends would LOVE this dish. Since coming back from the USA when we had great mexican we’ve been all about the fish tacos. This recipe will be loved by all, can’t wait to share, thanks :)

9. penny aka jeroxie - October 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

talking about expanding waist lines, I need to really start working out before summer

10. Nic@diningwithastud - October 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh Iv seen those frozen avos. They actually look like perfectly ripe fresh avos which is fab when all you can get at the market are brown shite ones