{Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream

“I had been reading a few blog posts lately on people dining at Mart 130. It looked like a cute place to dine at, and the dishes people were eating looked fantastic. After reading Agnes’ post and seeing the corn fritters for the 50th time, and after much talk that it had won breakfast of...”

{Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream

{Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream

I had been reading a few blog posts lately on people dining at Mart 130. It looked like a cute place to dine at, and the dishes people were eating looked fantastic. After reading Agnes’ post and seeing the corn fritters for the 50th time, and after much talk that it had won breakfast of the year in  2008, I figured I’d give them a go at home. I’ve made fantastic corn fritters at home with coriander before, and had lashing of bacon in the freezer, as well as tomato chutney at the ready.

I woke up on Sunday after a nice sleep in, and Hamsley was asking me where I’d like to go for breakfast, since I had told him about all the places I wanted to try. But this Sunday, I thought I’d save us $50, a trip out and queuing for a table and try this delicious dish without having to dress up. Hamsley started salivating at the thought as I had showed him the pictures of the dish, and was happy to keep playing xbox whilst I cooked up a storm.

I was totally in the zone, frying up bacon, keeping it warm in the oven, cooking the corn cakes, then checking photos to see how it was plated up.

I must say, the crew at Mart 130 are definitely on to something. The sweetness of the tomato chutney against the saltiness of the bacon really balances things out. I didn’t have any sour cream but I had some leftover double cream, which I added some lemon juice and vinegar to. It was an epic meal of fantastic flavours, but I couldn’t finish it!

I will definitely make this again for special Sunday breakfasts.

Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream

8 rashes of bacon
Tomato chutney and sour cream to serve

For the corn fritters
420g can of corn kernels, drained
2 eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
5 green onions (green shallots), sliced finely
1/2 bunch fresh coriander, roots and stems washed and chopped, leaves reserved

1.  Fry bacon until crispy, keep warm in a low oven (around 100 C) until ready to serve.

2. Whisk eggs and milk in a jug. Place flour in a medium bowl and add milk mixture gradually, whisking to ensure there are no lumps. Stir in corn, onion and coriander roots and stems.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Drop 2 tablespoons of fritter mixture in pan (per fritter). Give fritters space to spread – about 4 at a time is ideal. After about 2 minutes they should be setting on the supper surface and be golden brown underneath. Flip and cook for another minute.

4. Drizzle tomato chutney on the plate, place on corn fritter on the plate, fold two rashes of bacon on top, put another corn fritter on top, and repeat.

5. Serve with extra tomato chutney and a dollop of sour cream.

Serves 2 hungry people.

{Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream

Comments

14 comments on “{Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream
  1. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - July 28, 2011 at 7:38 am

I adore corn fritters! I’m often disappointed in cafes though. Must make my own someday, like you! Looks utterly delicious :) But in terms of eating out, I love Jones the Grocer & Bill’s in Sydney. Yum. Yum.

2. Mez - July 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

ooOOOoooo so good!! Soooo good!!! I would perhaps substitute the bacon with salmon for something a bit healthier.. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh what is it with me wanting to change your recipes lately?! SLAP ME. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

lol not changing, you are being inspired :) and that does sound like a much healither option! keep your changes coming!!

3. Michelle - July 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

Man, this is one good breakfast to start a cold day!!!!

4. Nic@diningwithastud - July 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

So much better than eating out. Cheaper. Healthier cos you know whats in it. The satisfaction of knowing you cooked a fab dish. Perfect!

5. Clance - July 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

Nice work Shellie – the fritters look awesome.
    I’m a big fan of the corn fritter but can never quite pull them off in true cafe style at home (as you clearly have!)
    Clance

6. Leah - July 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

love corn fritters. I usually eat them with smoked trout and dill sour cream. Oh i’ll have to make them this weekend 😉

7. Lisa - July 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Oh those look great. I’ve never made corn fritters but I’m a fan, so these could be a good option for this weekend.

8. msihua - July 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

We must have the same thought processes.. I bought a bag of sweet corn, thinking to do just that this weekend! Brilliant!

9. penny aka jeroxie - July 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm

yummOooo! It has been awhile since I last cooked. Might be a little inspired.

10. Sasha Chua - July 30, 2011 at 6:51 am

It defintely looked delicious! One thing you can do is try the corn fritters in the restaurant and figure out what you had been missing during the first try! I bet you can make the perfect one for Round 2! 😀

Looking at your post, I think I could pass as “2 hungry persons.” Hahaha. Thanks for this one!

11. Front Cooking School - July 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love the way you’ve stacked up the fritters with the bacon inside… they look delicious!

12. Thanh - August 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Oooh please make these corn fritters for me so I don’t have to go all the way to Mart 130 for them.