{Masterchef Magazine Recipe} Spaghetti & Meatballs

“Cherrie recently dubbed me the meatball queen, to which I am honored to hold such a title 😛 I have made meatballs for every Cooking The Books we have done (wontons count as meatballs, they are meatballs wrapped in wonton skin!). I haven’t really made that many meatball recipes at home this year though, and...”

{Masterchef Magazine Recipe} Spaghetti & Meatballs

Cherrie recently dubbed me the meatball queen, to which I am honored to hold such a title 😛 I have made meatballs for every Cooking The Books we have done (wontons count as meatballs, they are meatballs wrapped in wonton skin!). I haven’t really made that many meatball recipes at home this year though, and the one in the latest Masterchef magazine (issue 12) looked too good not to try.

The inclusion of lemon zest, with the combination of a lovely tomato based sauce instantly reminded me of ossobuco.

I did take about an hour to prep and cook, and they weren’t my most favorite of meatballs. I prefer a nice rich sauce and less zesty meatballs. But alas, it’s all part of the quest to find the perfect meatball recipe. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow :)

Spaghetti & Meatballs

2 tablespoons each finely chopped basil, mint and flat-leaf parsley
2 lemons, zested
1 egg, lightly beaten
50g (1/3 cup) pine nuts, roasted, roughly chopped
500g minced beef
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil

1. To make sauce, process 750g tomatoes and tomato paste in a food processor until smooth. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add 160ml (2/3 cup) water, processed tomatoes and remaining 250g tomatoes, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

2. To make meatballs, combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl. Season. Using damp hands, roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Chill for 15 minutes.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook one-third of the meatballs, turning, for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add to sauce. Repeat twice with remaining oil and meatballs.

4. Cook pasta in a pan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Toss with parmesan and basil to combine.

5. Top spaghetti and meatballs with extra parmesan. Serve with rocket salad.

Comments

12 comments on “{Masterchef Magazine Recipe} Spaghetti & Meatballs
  1. Mez - May 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I want this now, so to make things easy I’ve left the verandah light on. I am patiently.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mez - May 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

obviously I am WAITING patiently…

hahahahahaa

3. penny aka jeroxie - May 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Oh… the meatball queen… wonder what you will make on the upcoming momofuku cookbook gathering?

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 18, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hi meatball queen! I love a zesty meatball, I do. Jamie Oliver’s ones from Cook with Jamie are my fav recipe atm. I NEED to make the recent gourmet traveller recipe though. I’ve never used ricotta in a meatball recipe before. These look delicious!

5. Michelle - May 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh yeah, you’ve been making lots of meatballs, I noticed!

6. Leah - May 18, 2011 at 10:17 am

Thanks for helping me decide what to make tonight!
    I have always loved the addition of ricotta and lemon through meatballs :)

7. yasmeen @ wandering spice - May 18, 2011 at 11:38 am

i can imagine fewer things more wonderful than a steaming bowl of spaghetti and well-crafted meatballs. ricotta is beautiful with lean ground meats, and the lemon just brings it to life. fantastic!

8. muppy - May 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

It’s always a good sign when you are looking forward to leftovers. I’ve made a great meatball recipe, mini meatballs in an eggplant with soft pecorino. Everytime we make meatballs they get compared!

9. Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc - May 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

It’s a pity these meatballs aren’t your favourite. I was hoping for you to proclaim that this is the best meatball recipe. Then the search will be over for us too:) I’d be waiting for the day when you find the best meatball recipe.

10. Susan - May 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love big chunky meatballs. At Cafe sopra in Sydney they do the best spaghetti meatballs, you get 3 big meatballs and it’s the most filling thing and best tasting thing ever.

11. restaurant Fort Lauderdale - October 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I really love this dish and after reading this post, I have decided that this will be our dinner. It sure may require some work, especially for the meatballs but it is just worth all the effort. Those pictures really look so delicious. I just cannot wait to get my hands moving!