Italian Egg, Prosciutto and Cheese Roll

“Theme 8: Eggs Cookbook Used: Eating Together Author: Australian Women’s Weekly I finally got struck down with man flu that has been lurking around, and have been feeling rather sad and sorry for myself lately. Have been resting, guzzling juice, and pretty much living under the doonah. Got Hamsley to do dinner a few nights...”

Italian Egg, Prosciutto and Cheese Roll

Theme 8: Eggs
Cookbook Used: Eating Together
Author: Australian Women’s Weekly

I finally got struck down with man flu that has been lurking around, and have been feeling rather sad and sorry for myself lately. Have been resting, guzzling juice, and pretty much living under the doonah. Got Hamsley to do dinner a few nights (even if it was pies in the oven), but I managed to muster enough energy to do the egg challenge for lunch today. With the end of daylight savings, taking photos taking good photos is going to be challenge. So anyway, enough about me, more about eggs.

I was going to make this recipe for the last egg challenge but eggs benedict won the draw. This was a very simple dish to make, perfect for brunch or an all day breakfast, without the expense or hassle of going to a cafe. My only suggestion is you toast the focaccia rolls. I thought mine would crisp up easily in a hot oven (my grill is out of order) but they didn’t. The flavours were fantastic and won’t hesitate to make it again.

Italian Egg, Prosciutto and Cheese Roll

Australian Women’s Weekly

4 eggs
4 focaccia rolls, split
120g taleggio or fontina cheese, sliced thinly
4 slices prosciutto
8 large fresh basil leaves

tomato sauce
400g can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Make tomato sauce: place undrained tomatoes with remaining ingredients in medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.

2. Preheat grill.

3. Fry eggs in heated oiled medium frying pan until cooked as you like.

4. Spread bottom half of each roll with about one tablespoons of the tomato sauce; place on oven tray,. Layer cheese and prosciutto on rolls; grill until cheese starts to melt. Top each with 2 basil leaves, an egg and remaining tomato sauce; top with remaining roll half.

Comments

13 comments on “Italian Egg, Prosciutto and Cheese Roll
  1. Hannah - April 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Oh no, I haven’t even done “celebration” yet! Shellie, you are far too awesome at this, you’re putting me to shame! The roll does look fabulous though :)

2. Allan - April 3, 2011 at 9:58 pm

ahaha simple pleasures =)

3. Alana - April 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Yum! This is low fat right? 😛

4. penny aka jeroxie - April 4, 2011 at 12:28 am

YOu are quick…. just finished the celebration theme and have yet posted America! Egg….what am I doing!

5. Michelle - April 4, 2011 at 8:06 am

Man flu? What’s that?!

6. Erin@TheFoodMentalist - April 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Yum! My husband would love this!

7. not bloody mary likely - April 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oh this looks egglicious! I think I’ll be having Breakfast for Dinner tonight!

8. GourmetGetaways - April 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It looks delicious, I hope you were well enought to enjoy it. I still have catching up to do on the challenges I just completed outdoors!!!

Get well :)

9. Chanel - April 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yum – a great example of simple but quality flavours & ingredients! I want to make this 😀

10. Cherrie - April 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

wow, you’re ahead in the cookbook challenge! well done. Your roll looks fantastic. It will go down well for any meal of the day.

11. Susan - April 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I made something similar to this on the weekend and it was so good. I love making a good breakfast on the weekend, so much cheaper than eating out.

12. leigh - April 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Hope you’re well again soon!!!