Coq Au Riesling

“I saw the recipe for this on one of Nigella’s shows, where she uses a whole bottle of Riesling. Hamsley loves coq au vin, and will often request it from time to time; but this seemed like a much quicker and easier alternative. I cooked it on the Sunday and reheated it on the Monday...”

Coq Au Riesling

Coq Au Riesling

I cooked it on the Sunday and reheated it on the Monday and Tuesday for dinner; so easy to come home from work and know dinner is ready.

I had to thicken the sauce up slightly with some cornflour but other than that, it was a fantastic result. You could definitely taste the Riesling, but it wasn’t over powering. I also didn’t have any dill to garnish it with, so I used parsley instead and it was just fine.

I have a feeling I’m going to get requests for this one from the boy very soon!

Coq Au Riesling

Nigella Lawson

2 x 15ml tablespoons garlic oil
150g bacon lardons
1 leek, finely sliced
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 bay leaves
300g oyster mushrooms, torn into strips
1 x 75cl bottle Riesling double cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill to serve

1.Heat the oil in a casserole or large, wide pan and fry the lardons until crisp.

2.Add the sliced leek and soften it with the lardons for a minute or so.

3. Cut chicken thighs into 2 or 3 pieces each, tip them into the pan with the bay leaves, torn mushrooms and wine.

4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, stirring in the double cream for the last couple of minutes if you want. Like all stews, this tastes its mellowest best if you let it get cold and then reheat the next day. But it’s no hardship to eat straight off. Whichever, serve sprinkled with dill and together with some buttered noodles.

Coq Au Riesling

Comments

15 comments on “Coq Au Riesling
  1. Cherrie - March 27, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love this dish. I’ve never made Nigella’s version but I think Nigel Slater’s version is very similar.

2. Agnes - March 27, 2011 at 11:32 am

Eee! Cute pot alert! The Coq Au Riesling looks good too :)

3. Michelle - March 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

I agree with you that stews taste better if they are kept over night. :)

4. Hannah - March 27, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I wish more recipes used large amounts of alcohol! I’m not much of a drinker so whenever I open a bottle to use just a tiny bit in cooking, it ends up going to waste in my fridge. Love the coil of pastsa too!

5. Jennifer (Delicieux) - March 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

This looks fantastic Shellie! I saw the show where Nigella made this too & loved that she used a whole bottle. I love her recipes.

6. Conor @ Hold the Beef - March 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yeah pretty sure you’ll be fielding requests on this one if how it looks is anything to go by.

7. Mez - March 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Oh, this looks like the perfect freezer dish.
    I’m all for a good freezer dish, cook it up and have it ready for a night later on.
    Excellent idea honey!

8. Adrian (Food Rehab) - March 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Riesling…mmmm..*drools like Homer* Only my fav wine…late harvest pref.

Yes, love storing stews and curries alike and then simmering it the next day or two- tastes so much better. It’s the case for alot of Filo food.

9. msihua - March 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm

MmMMmm Like Adrian.. I’m loving the whole bottle of Riesling idea.. Thanks for sharing this Shellie!!!

10. penny aka jeroxie - March 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Was thinking of making coq au vin at some point. Have acquired some lovely white wine… not riesling but should do the trick.

11. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - March 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

I love riesling, probably my favourite white wine. I have seen this recipe but haven’t made it. Yours look so good that I may have to try it soon.

12. Susan - March 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

I will have to try this out. I am not the biggest riesling fan, so putting it in food, rather than drinking it sounds good to me.

13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’m glad you made this recipe, I have been meaning to try it out! I love coq au vin.

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I have been meaning to try this recipe out, so I’m glad you made it! I love coq au vin :)

15. Martyna - March 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Got a whole case of riesling from SA, which may mean I’ll be making lots of coq au riesling over winter, or getting really drunk! Great pics too, so life-like, I wish I could lick the screen to taste the dish!