Maple Ribs

“Theme 6: American Cookbook Used: Nigella Express Author: Nigella Lawson I was so sure I’d be cooking from Jamie’s America or the New Orleans cookbook my aunty gave me. I was also certain I was going to be doing ribs, but bought spare ribs instead of rack ribs… doh. I was also running low on...”

Maple Ribs

Maple Ribs

Theme 6: American
Cookbook Used: Nigella Express
Author: Nigella Lawson

I was so sure I’d be cooking from Jamie’s America or the New Orleans cookbook my aunty gave me. I was also certain I was going to be doing ribs, but bought spare ribs instead of rack ribs… doh. I was also running low on time so decided to go with a Nigella recipe I’d recently seen her cook; it seemed far too easy, and fitted the theme.

The recipe is actually chicken and ribs, but I just did ribs. I think it would have been much better with the chicken, as more ribs rendered down more fat, leaving the roasting dish rather oily. I’ll give it a go again with the chicken thighs as the recipe states before I say yay or nay on this recipe.

Maple Chicken ‘N’ Ribs

Nigella Lawson

12 pork spare ribs
12 chicken thighs, skin and bone still on
250ml apple juice, as sharp as possible
4 x 15ml tablespoons maple syrup
2 x 15ml tablespoons vegetable oil
2 x 15ml tablespoons soy sauce
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick, halved
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled

1. Put the ribs and chicken pieces in a couple of large freezer bags or into a dish.

2. Add the remaining ingredients, squelching everything together well, before sealing the bag or covering the dish.

3. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight or up to two days.

4. When the marinating time is up, take the dish out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 200°/gas mark 6.

5. Pour the contents of the freezer bag into one or two large roasting tins (making sure the chicken is skin-side up), place in the oven and cook for about an hour and a quarter, by which time everything should be sticky and glossed conker-brown.

Serves: 6-8

Maple Ribs

Comments

21 comments on “Maple Ribs
  1. Mez - March 21, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Must. Make. This. STAT.

I’m thinking this will be a great dish to do on the weekend.

Yayayayayayaa :) :) :)

2. hollypop - March 22, 2011 at 5:20 am

yum, shellie!
    the thing is, i’ve never had luck with short ribs. i always have to make a rack or it just is not tender or juicy enough.
    what’s your secret?

3. hollypop - March 22, 2011 at 5:21 am

oohhh it’s early and i just re-read this to see the spare ribs was an accident. was it still yum? looks really good!

4. Celeste @ Berrytravels - March 22, 2011 at 8:48 am

You haven’t said yay or nay, but I must say, these look good. I’d definitely be interested to know what the verdict is!

5. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yum! Love the flavour idea, trust Nigella to be brilliant. I am not a huge fan of ribs though – I find there is too much fat for me and not enough meat. Maybe I could just give ben the ribs (he LOVES them, like most guys) and keep the chicken for me! I feel like I should definitely eat these whilst watching sport too…

6. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - March 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

Finger lickin, good! Love rib, love maple, love Nigella!

7. GourmetGetaways - March 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

Far out!!! That looks so delicious! I can’t believe your only giving it a “maybe” !!!

I am visualising sucking the fat and juice off the bone just looking at it! YUMMY!!

8. angie - March 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

Oh, I will have to go back to my copy and make this some time. Love ribs wether they are rack ribs or spare mmm. I imagine this would have been wonderfully sticky just the way ribs should be!

9. msihua - March 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Oh wow.. look at all that glistening sexy… meat.. I <3!!! Well done Shellie!!

10. Susan - March 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Oh I have this book and I love spare ribs. I think I would have to cut down the recipe though, cause that looks like a lot of food there!

11. Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc - March 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I personally like chicken better too. Can’t wait for your review on the chicken. I’d love to try Nigella’s recipes someday.

12. leigh - March 25, 2011 at 11:15 am

wow – I can just imagine the taste as I’m licking my fingers. These look delicious!

13. Agnes - March 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

Yum ribs! I wanted to make ribs for this CC theme, but ran out of time and couldn’t be arsed going to buy ribs. Yours look great!

14. Swee San - March 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Oh yummm finger licking good! The cookbook challenge is great! I’m going to try to have a go at it

15. Liz - March 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

This is 1 of my favourite recipe in the book. Had made it a couple of times and never fail to please me. I will suggest if you making it with chicken next time round, do keep the chicken skin because it’s super addictive! I even did it once using chicken drumstick and wings because I want more skin 😛

16. Johanna GGG - March 31, 2011 at 2:15 am

I’d go without the ribs altogether but I do fancy the flavours maybe with some tofu – love maple syrup any old how!

17. Cherrie - April 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

OOOOH! I want some now

18. Charlene Luna - March 11, 2013 at 4:03 am

Far out!!! Love the flavour idea, trust Nigella to be brilliant.