Prawn Fried Rice

“Theme 3: Rice / Noodles Cookbook Used: Fast, Fresh, Simple Author: Donna Hay I picked this recipe because the picture in the book looked amazing. Hamsley said it looked like a taco. (Mez, this is a time I would like to use the #ohHamish tag :P). This is the first recipe from Donna Hay’s new...”

Prawn Fried Rice

Prawn Fried Rice

Theme 3: Rice / Noodles
Cookbook Used: Fast, Fresh, Simple
Author: Donna Hay

This is the first recipe from Donna Hay’s new book I’ve tried. Usually Donna Hay can’t do much wrong with her recipes from my previous experiences, but this left a lot to be desired. I chose massive prawns for this one, they were so meaty, Hamsley said it was like eating a lamb cutlet. Whilst cooking away, I added the rice and thought this would be rather flavourless, so I decided to add in the soy sauce during the cooking process instead of drizzling it on at the end. This is how I would usually do fried rice, but overall, we found it was a rather flavourless fried rice.

So, alas, Donna Hay’s fried rice won’t be returning to my kitchen. Sorry Donna!

Prawn Fried Rice

Donna Hay

2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
4 green onions, finely sliced
10 large green (raw) prawns, peeled and cleaned
4 cups cooked jasmine rice (I found this to be too much)
soy and chilli sauces, to serve

1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half of the sesame oil and half of the egg and swirl to coat the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until the egg has set. Remove from pan, set aside and repeat with remaining egg and oil.

2. Heat the frying pan over high heat. Add the vegetable oil, ginger, chilli and onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the prawns and cook for 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.

3. Place the omelettes on serving plates and spoon over the rice mixture. Drizzle with soy and chilli sauces to serve.

Prawn Fried Rice

Comments

25 comments on “Prawn Fried Rice
  1. Mez - February 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

baaaaaaaaaaahaahahaahahahaaha #ohhamish ahahahahahaaaa

such a shame about Donna Hay, I love her magazine and have used her recipes before but to be brutally honest I change her recipes because they don’t usually work… I try her way, then change it. :/

2. Emanuela @ The Foodie Goddess - February 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Shame… I have also experienced HIT AND MISS with her recipes but the 2 I tried from the same cook book were great. Did you see this post? http://thefoodiegoddess.com/?p=882.
    Emanuela. x

3. penny aka jeroxie - February 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

opps for donna! now im under pressure to do the theme! nothing yet!

4. Kayla - February 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

It’s such a pity. The photos look amazing though:) I do like Donna’s recipes because it always so simple and concise. It usually works, but I do realize that some of her Asian recipes don’t taste as good. That said, I still love her cookbooks and magazines :)

5. Allan - February 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm

photos are pretty awesome! =)
    rice – hopefully u used over-night rice ? or at least fridge dried ones =).
    and prob needs a hell of a lot more oil + soy, not to mention meats to add more savoury punch =).
    you can also add egg to the wok before adding rice – helps it not stick, and also adds a level of eggy-ness to the rice as well.
    you prob know all that already, hope it helps…

6. Hannah - February 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This looks fantastic! I haven’t had prawns in so long… I really need to stop eating sweets and make my rice/noodle dish 😛

7. Michelle - February 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

The fried rice looks really nice. I want to cook fried rice just like that!

8. Betty @ The Hungry Girl - February 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

Shame about this fried rice not making a return to your kitchen, it’s a tough world out there for fried rices’!

9. kristy @ ksayerphotography - February 8, 2011 at 6:35 am

Oh no! When recipes turn out to be not so great it’s always such a disappointment! Perhaps you need to find a more authentic prawn fried rice!

10. Queenotisblue - February 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

I have mixed feelings about Donna Hay’s recipes, I do find them a bit hit and miss. That said, your photos are fantastic!

11. Honey @ honeyandsoy - February 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Oh no! Sorry to hear the taste wasn’t the best, but the photos still look amazing… I wish I had prawn fried rice for lunch right now!

12. leigh - February 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Doh Donna! What a shame as the prawns look amazing.

13. foodie and the chef - February 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

The colours are fab, even if Donna wasn’t. Still, I sure would love a big bowl… your photos look beautiful.

14. Helen (grabyourfork) - February 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm

omg the best thing about this recipe is the omelette bowl liner. i always use extra egg in my fried rice but lol, i’ll have to try this next time!

15. Susan - February 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Yeah sometimes I look at Donna’s recipes and think these are way too simple, they can’t taste good, but they end up tasting great. Although sometimes if you are expecting a certain flavour and don’t get it, it can be a disappointment.

16. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - February 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Aww what a shame it didn’t impress especially since it was the first dish that you’d cooked from the book too!

17. msihua - February 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Her recipes, unfortunately are more misses than hits.. she’s a fantastic food stylist.. but everything else is a bit over rated!

18. Cherrie - February 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm

It may not taste that good but it looks great.

19. Michelle @onandoffmyplate - February 10, 2011 at 5:53 am

Too bad it wasn’t as flavorful as you expected! It sure looks amazing in your photos!

20. Jennifer (Delicieux) - February 11, 2011 at 1:00 pm

It’s a shame that the recipe was disappointing . I cooked Donna’s upside down plum cake recently and was disappointed too. I guess everyone’s tastes are different so you can’t win all the time.

Your photos look fantastic though!

21. GourmetGetaways - February 13, 2011 at 6:12 am

What a shame about the recipe :(

It looks amazing though, you will have to do your own version of the recipe and share it :)

22. The Food Mentalist - February 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

This looks so great. A friend of mine has this cookbook I’m going to have to borrow it :)

23. Gemma - January 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I am doing a take on this tonight, I am not using chilli,as the shop was clean out may add a bit of powder instead hope tha helps, but red pepper spring onions and baby prawns as I can use alot more, I watched the show where she cooked this yesterday it looked so nice.

24. Olivia - March 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I tried making Donna’s fast, fresh and simple chicken schnitzel with fennel salad and that was a HUGE letdown! The cooking time was inaccurate, the crumbly texture tasted like sand and the salad was bland.