Pork Larb

“It was after finishing the food from the Christmas high tea I held for my friends (which I intend to blog soon!). It was after eating so many sausage rolls, party pies and other puff pastry morsels I said “NO MORE!! I want some Asian flavours but I want them with rice vermicelli noodles!!”. I...”

Recipes | January 3, 2011
Pork Larb

Pork Larb

It was after finishing the food from the Christmas high tea I held for my friends (which I intend to blog soon!). It was after eating so many sausage rolls, party pies and other puff pastry morsels I said “NO MORE!! I want some Asian flavours but I want them with rice vermicelli noodles!!”. I remembered seeing this recipe recently, so dug it out to give it a go.

It was refreshing and just what I wanted. Nice Thai flavours, and didn’t make us feel heavy, it was light and perfect for summer.

Pork Larb

Suzanne Gibbs

150g dried rice vermicelli noodles
2 teaspoons light olive oil
1 lemongrass stalk, pale part only, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
500g lean pork mince
1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce
3/4 coriander sprigs
1/2 cup Vietnamese mint
2 baby cos lettuce, leaves seperated

1. Stand noodles in a bowl of boiling water for 10 minutes, until tender. Drain. Return to bowl.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan or wok on high. Stir-fry lemongrass and chilli for 1 min, until fragrant. Add mince. Cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 3-4 minutes, until mince changes colour. Add stock, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, until evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in onion, lime juice and fish sauce.

3. Divide noodles between plates. Top with pork mixture, coriander and mint. Serve with lettuce.

Pork Larb

Comments

18 comments on “Pork Larb
  1. kristy @ ksayerphotography - January 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Oh this looks so good! I’m not a pork fan – but I can definitely see it working with beef or chicken. Yum! :)

2. penny aka jeroxie - January 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I miss this dish so much! More chillies for me please 😉

3. Michelle - January 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I made something like that after my finals as well! I loved Thai flavors too – tamarind, fish sauce, lime, palm sugar and lemongrass!

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm

mmmm love tamarind and palm sugar with lime and lemongrass OH and fish sauce too 😛

4. GourmetGetaways - January 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Ohh perfect for summer, I am so finished with heavy food!

I love these fresh flavours, thank you for posting I am looking forward to trying the recipe. :)

5. Honey @ honeyandsoy - January 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Happy New Year, babe!!!! This looks awesome! And I am also salivating at your ricotta muffins :)

6. Hannah - January 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I adore larb! When I was still living at home I’d make them frequently with pork, chicken, or kangaroo, but haven’t since moving out. I might just have to give your recipe a go this week!

7. Helen (grabyourfork) - January 4, 2011 at 1:32 am

I love larb in summer. So fresh and tasty. I’m with Hannah – I’m buying pork mince this week!

8. Medifast Coupon - January 4, 2011 at 5:34 am

Vermicellie noodles are a great way to get asian flavour into your dish! Colourful and delicious looking dish!

9. Sarah - January 4, 2011 at 6:29 am

Looks lovely and healthy! I’ve been feeling overstuffed following the holiday period, and am really looking for nice light meals like this one! Thanks for posting :)

xox Sarah

10. Cherrie - January 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

This looks so good Shellie! I’ve bookmarked this.

11. Anna Johnston - January 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Nothing like fresh, crisp, tasty Thai flavours to balance out all the festive foods, couldn’t agree more!

12. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I love this dish! I’m often disappointed when I oder it at restaurants. I should definitely make my own, this recipe looks fab :)

13. Barton - February 27, 2011 at 8:27 am

Larb should almost be painful to eat in my opinion/experience. I have always made it with dried chili powder. Great photos, interesting with noodles as I have always had it as an shared starter, eaten with hands
    cheers

14. Cooking classes - August 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Yum! This Thai dish is really reminiscent of Vietnamese dishes. Same ingredients and herbs. I can already imagine the taste.
    It’s great because of its simplicity.
    Where is the best place to find lemongrass and Vietnamese mint??