Lord Of The Fries

“Lord of the Fries is somewhat of an institution in Melbourne. It started as a mobile food van travelling to festivals. Fans of the fries kept asking where they could buy their favorite fries during the week, which prompted them to open their first shop on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth street in Melbourne’s...”

December 19, 2010

Lord of the Fries is somewhat of an institution in Melbourne.
It started as a mobile food van travelling to festivals. Fans of the fries kept asking where they could buy their favorite fries during the week, which prompted them to open their first shop on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth street in Melbourne’s CBD. Right outside the iconic Flinders Street Station, it’s a great spot for those ending their boozy nights, and wanting a snack. However, it’s such a popular food vendor, they have recently expanded to be inside Flinders Street Station, Melbourne Central and Chadstone Shopping Centre.

Lord of the Fries was also voted Victorian winner for favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the 2010 Lifestyle Food Channel’s I Love Food Awards. Their “Big Mark Burger” also took out best vegetarian burger in Australia by PETA in 2009, and it it has also been awarded best burger and best value by Aduki Independent Press at the 2010 awards.

I had no idea Lord of the Fries was 100% vegetarian. I didn’t really know what all the hype was about, until it recently opened at my local shopping centre, Chadstone. I’d always walked past the iconic shop in the CBD, but finally got to give them a go thanks to Keep Left PR.

I got sent out this VIP card to sample all the sauces for each month with some of their delicious fries. The sauce for each month is represented by a different country and their national holidays:

• January – Aussie; Australia Day
  • February – Asia; Chinese New Year
  • March – (N/A)
  • April – Thai; Songkran Festival (Traditional Thai New Year)
  • May – African; Worker’s Day
  • June – Italian; Republic Day
  • July – Belgian; National Holiday (Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld takes the oath as first king)
  • August – Indian; Independence Day
  • September – Mexican; Independence Day
  • October – French Canadian; Thanksgiving
  • November – American; Thanksgiving
  • December – International; Festivus

I started with the December sauce; Festivus. For those of you, like me that love Seinfeld, you will be familar with Festivus. It was created by George’s dad, and is celebrated on the 23rd of December. Instead of a Christmas tree, there is the ‘Festivus Pole’, a bare aluminum pole. Traditions of Festivus include the ‘Airing of Grievances’ and the  ‘Feasts of Strength’, and labelling of easily explainable events as ‘Festivus Mircales’. It consists of lashing out at others and the world about how one has been disappointed in the past year.

It’s a great name for a sauce in December, as it covers Christmas, Hanukkah, or however you choose to celebrate this festive season.
The sauce is a delicious creamy mayonnaise with a green peppercorn twist. The peppercorns aren’t hard and crunchy like I expected them to be, but soft and subtle. Best news, it’s gluten free too!

Since they are 100% vegetarian, doesn’t mean you can only get fries. Also on offer is onion rings, nuggets made with mock chicken, pies and burgers.
We tried the Lord’s burger which had a mock chicken patty, belgian mayo, mustard, lettuce, cheese on a bun; and it was delicious! I think it was really the fresh bread and the mustard that made it fantastic. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back and try the other burgers and mock meats available.

The fries themselves are made fresh (not frozen) from 100% Australian potatoes. The potatoes used are seasonal, so they will vary in colour and consistency at different times of the year. All ingredients are 100% vegetarian, with plenty of variety for vegetarians and vegans to pig out on. The fries are cooked twice ensuring they are crispier. They are first cooked at a lower temperature to seal the potatoes and lock the grease out. The second stage of cooking is called ‘snap-frying’, is at a higher temperature to create a fry that is crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.
The skins are left on, which I loved. It makes for a much healthier chip, and helps to preserve the nutrients in the potato. They are fried in a high quality sunflower oil blended with cottonseed oil. that is cleaned and filtered daily.

Upon my first visit, they weren’t the best to be honest. I didn’t think much of them, but my friend Miss A said she had had them before and they were much better. This prompted a second visit, and the chips were muuuuuch better.

You can pop by just for some fries to keep you going, or grab a meal deal or much box.

Lord of the Fries has been certified Kosher by Rabbi Meir Rabi on behalf of ‘It’s Kosher’. They have also been certified Halal by Hajj Mohamed El-Mouelhy on behalf of ‘Halal Certification Authority – Australia’.

For more information head over to

Iron Chef Shellie sampled Lord of the Fries thanks to Gillian at Keep Left PR and Lord of the Fries Chadstone.

14 comments on “Lord Of The Fries
  1. msihua - December 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I never knew they were vego!! How awesome is that?! Now I’ve got to go try them too!!!

2. Liz - December 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Definitely didn’t know they are vegetarian! But now I do! Looks like it’s time for me to go have some since the previous visit was years ago.

3. Ashley Ng - December 19, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I’ve never tried these myself and my boyfriend didn’t rate them very highly, but I am quite intrigued to hear they are 100% vegetarian! :) Had terrible cravings for potato chips this week, may give them a go sometime!

4. penny aka jeroxie - December 19, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Nom! I can’t wait to use my voucher as well. And how cute is the mr. potato head… dionk…..! I keep it on my desk at work.

5. mademoiselle délicieuse - December 19, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Can you believe that after many trips to Melbourne and walking past this multiple times across those trips that I’ve never actually tried them? I feel so ashamed!

6. Hannah - December 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Now I feel cranky because I saw a LOTF when I was in Melbourne the other week, and I didn’t get anything. However, I’m chirped up by the mention of green peppercorns, as one of the first meals I cooked as a tween was chicken with green peppercorn sauce. Ah, nostalgia! 😛

7. meagain - December 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

we try and make excuses to travel over an hour to get to melb, just so our half vegan family can have some LorDs!!!!!!!!
    oh how i could go some right NOW!!!!!

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 20, 2010 at 9:02 am

yum! I had no idea that it was 100% vegetarian either. I’ve never tried Lord of the Fries, but love their health minded way. and LOVE the festivus sauce :) i love Frank Costanza.

9. Michelle - December 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

I never tried anything from LotF before although my friends are crazy over them. I’m not a huge fan of fries.

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - December 20, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Damn! And here was I in Melbourne on the weekend and we went past this and didn’t realise the treasure trove contained within!

11. Lauren aka Ms Baklover - December 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I could not believe it when I first heard these guys were 100% vegetarian. How many drunk groups of guys and girls have they served at that Flinders St location and I bet they were none the wiser (but much healthier in body and karma!) I must give them a try soon.

12. AmandaP - December 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Oh my goodness! If I ever make it your neck of the world I will most certainly be heading here 😀 Those fries look amazing! Plus they are vegetarian and kosher, what more could a girl ask for?!?

13. Anna Johnston - December 21, 2010 at 7:53 am

Thats great to know – guess whose off to Melbourne, little ol’ me :) Nothing like a ‘clean’ fry. Lovin’ it.

14. Libby - December 21, 2010 at 10:27 am

Never had them before, always walked past the Flinders Street store thinking that they weren’t any good. I think I’ll give them a go now. I just found a voucher in my Entertainment Book for LOTF, another incentive to go!