Smoked Salmon Rolls

“My dear darling friend Pandy had a lovely shindig at his place to celebrate his birthday. He invited all his nearest and dearest. Hamsley and I were lucky enough to be put in such a category. I offered to bring along a dish as I have far too many recipes that need trying. Pandy did...”

Recipes | November 28, 2010
Smoked Salmon Rolls

Smoked Salmon Rolls

My dear darling friend Pandy had a lovely shindig at his place to celebrate his birthday. He invited all his nearest and dearest. Hamsley and I were lucky enough to be put in such a category. I offered to bring along a dish as I have far too many recipes that need trying. Pandy did stump me by requesting something savoury rather than sweet. Finding a recipes that was easy to make, easy to transport, looked good, and tasted even better proved to be a challenge in itself.

There were plenty to choose from of course, but I wanted something with a wow factor. I nearly went for sushi as I know Pandy loved the sushi I made once for a picnic; luckily I didn’t has he already had sushi!

I then remembered I had this recipe for salmon rolls, served sushi style. They were easy to make, easy to transport, and I got the “Wooooow!!” when I unveiled my creation.

Smoked Salmon Rolls

Jamie Oliver

2 large eggs
120g plain flour
180ml milk
1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
Butter, to fry
3-4 tablespoons creme fraiche
Small bunch of chives
200g smoked salmon
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Crack eggs in a bowl and pour flour in so it sits in a pile to one side. Gently whisk eggs, and gradually whisk flour in little by little until it’s incorporated. If it gets a little thick, add some milk to loosen. Add remaining milk, 2 tablespoons oil and a good pinch of salt. Stand for at least 1 hour.

2. Heat your largest non-stick frypan (at least 32cm) on medium-high heat and melt a knob of butter (2 teaspoons). Pour in a ladle of batter, swirl pan around, then pour any loose batter back into bowl. You should be left with a thin pancake. Let it cook for a minute or so, flip it for 30 seconds, then slide onto a plate. Repeat until all batter is used. (You’ll need 2 pancakes for the rolls, so keep the rest for breakfast.) Cool.

3. Make a rectangle of double thickness plastic wrap about 40cm x 15cm. Lay 2 crepes on it side by side, overlapping slightly. Spread with a thin layer of creme fraiche, sprinkle with chives, (reserving some for garnish) season well with pepper and layer smoked salmon over the top.

4. Use the plastic wrap on one of the long sides of the rectangle to roll the crepes up tightly like a Swiss roll, pulling the wrap away as you roll. Re-wrap in plastic wrap and leave for at least half an hour in the fridge to firm up before slicing into 2-3cm lengths and serving with a dip made from lemon juice, the rest of the oil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with extra chives.

Makes about 30.

Smoked Salmon Rolls

Comments

29 comments on “Smoked Salmon Rolls
  1. Leah - November 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

These salmon rolls look so good! Well done.

2. Emanuela @ The Foodie Goddess - November 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

GORGEOUS!!! Yum… I am hungry now. They look so great. The photo is just beautifully done :)

3. Allan - November 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

pancakes + sushi together…ooOO. as if take only one picture ey =P

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

I love the sound of the pancake with the salmon. Jamie is a god. Absolutely stunning picture too! Totally “woooow!” worthy.

5. Hannah - November 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm

They definitely look good, so you ticked that box for sure! I adore smoked salmon, so these sound fabulous :)

6. penny aka jeroxie - November 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

oh YUM! Love this recipe.. how very summery as well :)

7. msihua - November 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

That looks sooooo pretty! I would love to have some right now!

8. GourmetGetaways - November 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

They look really cute and yummy, no wonder you got the WOW happening! Very nice, and a great picnic food for summer too.

9. deb@bearheadsoup - November 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Looks so good and pretty easy to make too. Nice work.

10. Honey @ honeyandsoy - November 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

They look like masquerading sushi :) But oooh so good!! Perfect for the snack I feel like having right now…

11. MEAN EIRENE - November 29, 2010 at 9:48 am

I like the simple preparation of this recipe. May I use it for future parties I’m invited to? I pinky-promise I’ll give you props.

12. A Canadian Foodie - November 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

Now those look deadly!
    YUMMMMM
    Valerie

13. Michelle - November 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

These rolls do look pretty! You can use them with other sandwiches when you have a tea party or something. :)

14. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I already loved the look of them (smoked salmon makes me swoon) but then learning they are made from freshly made pancakes makes them a double win!

15. Anna Johnston - November 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Fabulous, just fabulous :) Nothing like a smoked salmon roll and using your ‘roll’ (or should I say pancake) recipe makes these a bit of a standout.

16. angie - November 29, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Ohh what pretty little rolls you have =) Great idea for a party!

17. Joanne - November 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Mmm I love finding new ways to eat smoked salmon and this sounds like the perfect appetizer!

18. Susan - November 30, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Anything with smoked salmon is delicious. These sound really good and very moreish!

19. Forager @ The Gourmet Forager - December 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yum! How good do these look?! Actually, they look much like the catered salmon rolls my company pays for at high prices – very professional looking!

20. Adrian in Food Rehab - December 1, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I want! I want! I agree with Trina- perhaps catering could be a sideline business?! :O

21. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - December 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

ooohhh they look so good….really perfect for summer and sharing outdoors!

22. LaToya S. - December 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I love smoked salmon. I love crepes. This recipe sounds like a winner to me. Yummy!

23. leigh - December 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Hey Shellie – hope you don’t mind but I’ve sent you a ‘blogger tag’. All you need to do is pop onto my blog, get the 8 questions you’re to answer and post the answers on your blog. Once done, you then get to nominate others and make up another 8 new questions. Just a bit of fun! Leigh

24. Cherrie - December 8, 2010 at 6:11 am

I like how this is made from scratch so you know exactly what went in it. Looks yummy, Shellie

25. Judy @ Foodie Dreams - December 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I love smoked salmon! These rolls look delectable :)

26. nic@diningwithastud - December 16, 2010 at 8:27 am

These look so fab! I have been trying to find something salmony to make as an antree for a traditional Christmas dinner. I think we have a winner :) thanks so much for posting this!