International Incident Party – Salt

“So many types of salt… To most of us, salt is salt, and we think nothing more of it. It’s something we add to water when we cook pasta, we add it to add extra flavour, or it’s that thing on the table next to the pepper. There are so many different types of salt,...”

Recipes | November 21, 2010
International Incident Party – Salt

International Incident Party – Salt

So many types of salt…

There are so many different types of salt, there are even books, written and dedicated just to salt. I have a copy of one, but actually went for a recipe in a different cookbook, despite it being the obvious choice.

Just like the many kinds of olive oil, it’s all about using the right salt with the right ingredients to great something amazing.

Just like Lindt did with their Sea Salt chocolate, by adding the world’s finest salt in their chocolate; Fleur de Sel.

But enough pictures about salt. Let’s get down to the cooking part!

I love peanuts.

I love peanut butter (crunchy, if I have a choice).

I eat peanut butter the “Asian way“; on toast, sprinkled with sugar. I thought everyone ate it this way until Hamsley looked at me funny when I prepared it for myself one day.

I like peanut butter and Nutella on the same bit of toast for a choc-nut taste. It’s like a Snickers bar on toast.

Buying peanut butter, crunchy or smooth by the 1.4kg jar at Costco is the best thing ever.

Oh… that’s right, we were talking about salt weren’t we.

Ta da!!

Peanut butter + salt = awesome cookies.

People often buy salted peanuts, so this just seemed like it was going to be a fantastic combination in the form of a cookie. The salt really gets you salivating at the first bite, helping make these little morsels very addictive! Some had more salt flakes on top than others, as a taste experiment. You don’t want them too salty, that’s for sure.

I’ll be making these again… I’ll think about sharing them 😉

Crunchy Peanut Butter & Sea Salt Biscuits

Belinda Jeffery

2 cups (300 g) plain flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
180 g unsalted butter, cool but not cold, cut into chunks
1/3 cup (75 g) caster sugar
1/3 cup (75 g) firmly-packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
110 g crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup (50 g) salted peanuts
Sea salt flakes, for topping

1. Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a food processor and whiz them together for about 10 seconds so they’re well combined. Tip them out into a bowl.

2. Put the butter and both sugars into the food processor. Whiz them for 40 seconds, stopping and scraping down the sides once or twice with a rubber spatula, until they’re light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and egg and whiz them in for 10 seconds; the mixture may look a bit curdled, but it will be fine once the flour is added. Scrape the peanut butter into the egg mixture and whiz the machine briefly again so it mixes in. Add the flour mixture to the processor and mix it in with on/off pulses, until it just forms a thick soft dough (Don’t overdo the mixing in of the flour or the biscuits will be a tad tough.)

3. Add the peanuts to the dough and stir them in with a spatula (you might find it easier to do this if you tip the dough out into a bowl and work the nuts in by hand, as it’s always a bit awkward in the processor). Scrape the dough out onto a chopping board and divide it in half.
Lay a large sheet of foil on a bench and cover it with a sheet of baking paper. Gently knead one piece of the dough briefly to bring it together, then roll it into a log about 5 cm in diameter.

5. Sit the log on one edge of the baking paper and roll it up in the paper. Next, roll it so it’s wrapped in the foil. Twist the ends of the foil tightly in opposite directions so you end up with something that looks like a very long bonbon. Repeat with the remaining dough.

6. If you’re baking the biscuits on the same day, chill the logs for 2-3 hours in the fridge until they’re firm enough to slice. Or, at this stage, you can freeze the logs until you need them (they keep well in the freezer for about 5 weeks; just defrost them in the fridge before slicing them.)

7. Preheat your oven to 150C. Line some baking trays with baking paper. Unwrap the log (or logs) and cut into 6-7 mm-thick slices.

8. Sit the rounds, about 2 cm apart, on the prepared baking trays. Gently sprinkle a little sea salt onto each one; I’d go fairly lightly on the salt the first time you make them, and then when you’ve tried them once you can adjust the amount.

9. Bake, in batches if necessary, for 20-25 minutes or until the biscuits are light golden-brown and feel crisp to touch. If your oven cooks a bit unevenly, turn the trays back to front and swap the shelves halfway through the baking time. Remove the trays from the oven and leave the biscuits to cool completely on them. Store the biscuits in an airtight container, where they will keep well for 5-6 days, or freeze them for up to 2 weeks, and when you want, defrost them at room temperature.

Makes 50-60.

See what everyone else got up to:

International Incident Party – Salt

Comments

48 comments on “International Incident Party – Salt
  1. Michelle - November 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

Another way to eat peanut butter on toast: Add condensed milk. It’s very asian I tell you.

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - November 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Love peanut cookies and yours look gorgeous!

3. Hannah - November 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

As someone massively, whole-heartedly, unashamedly obsessed with peanut butter, you’re lucky I don’t like in Melbourne as I would probably be trying to break into your house and kitchen right now 😉

4. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite - November 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm

OMG Shellie these look insanely delicious!

5. Allan - November 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm

thats a hell of a lot of butter and peanut butter LOLz. haha, until this day I still thought peanut butter on toast, sprinkled with sugaris the only way =P.

6. Gourmetgetaways - November 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I have just finished eating all of my own peanut butter cookies so I think I will have to try baking a batch of yours now. They look delicious! I love all your images.

7. Tamar - November 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I <3 peanut butter and the salt certainly adds that je ne sais quoi that can make the ordinary into extraordinary.

8. msihua - November 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

OMG… Peanut Butter Cookies!! And if you could dunk it into dark dark warm chocolate.. MmMMmmmmmm

9. kristy @ ksayerphotography - November 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I have one thing to say about these cookies…. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Unsalted peanut butter just doesn’t compare to salted PB. Salty, sweet – delicious!

And peanut butter and nutella is so good! I’ve actually made my own chocolate peanut butter and it is TO DIE FOR!

10. My Restaurants Melbourne - November 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Have you tried lindts sea salt chocolates before Shellie? That’s one I’ve never tried before. Great recipe too

11. Ashley Ng - November 21, 2010 at 8:54 pm

OOOOOH! I totally just bought some crunchy peanut butter. Zomg. SO MAKING THESE. :) I like Mishua’s idea of dunking them into dark chocolate too…mmmmmm. :)

12. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Oooooh! I should make some of these and stick them on top of my cake!! Awesome biccies :)

Also, you have one of those salt dippy thingoes? Nice. Very nice.

13. Thanh - November 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I’ve looked at this recipe so many times in Belinda’s book and always decided against making it since I was unsure about the salt aspect. But I guess I shall make it now.

14. Trix - November 22, 2010 at 1:55 am

These would be a-MAZ-ing in the morning with a cup of coffee … or better yet, a cup of hot chocolate!! holy yum.

15. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz - November 22, 2010 at 3:03 am

My mom is a peanut freak too, she would adore these…and so would I 😉

16. Annapet - November 22, 2010 at 4:17 am

This is a winner. I have always enjoyed peanuts, PB salted! Brings the flavors together!

17. A Canadian Foodie - November 22, 2010 at 6:45 am

Good for you, Shelley! A pairing made in heaven and a new take on it for this theme. YUM!

18. Leah - November 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

peanut butter and nutella on toast sounds wonderful! And i love the biscuits.

19. Jeanne Edwards - November 22, 2010 at 9:36 am

Love all your pic’s Shellie, and most of all munching on the ones you sent Home for us to try! :o) ….They were Delici…..ous! ……
    Thanks Heaps…… Hugs Jeanne. x :o)

20. Anna Johnston - November 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

Peanut Butter & Sea Salt Biscuits OMG.., I want them. The combination of flavours in these would be wonderful, love ’em :)

21. Jennifer (Delicieux) - November 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Delicious looking cookies Shellie :) My mouth was watering looking at the photos.

22. Susan - November 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love Peanut butter as well, although I always have jam on mine on toast, which is pretty much flavoured sugar! I haven’t had nutella and PB before, but that sounds like a very sane pairing.

23. Libby - November 22, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Salt is the best thing ever.

24. make my day - November 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I must have been living under a rock when i found out a couple of months ago that salted chocolate was doing big things?! You guys are opening my eyes and MAKING me understand. How couldn’t I when its does make perfect sense, just never really thought about why I loved reeses peanut butter cups so much. YUM

25. Honey @ honeyandsoy - November 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Sugar on top of peanut butter?? I haven’t heard that one before… but peanut butter on toast, definitely! These cookies look yum… and the salt flakes give them just that extra touch.

26. Heavenly Housewife - November 23, 2010 at 6:32 am

Oooh fabulous daaaaahling, these are going right into my bookmarks! Thank you for sharing this delicious looking recipe!
    *kisses* HH

27. Jamieanne - November 23, 2010 at 6:36 am

Wow, they look INCREDIBLE! I’ve seen this same recipe on two other food blogs recently and I’ve got them, and now yours, bookmarked because I just have to make these. They look so much more special and gourmet then an average peanut butter cookie!

28. Mimi - November 23, 2010 at 11:36 am

These look absolutely delicious! I love adding a sprinkle of salt to the top of chocolate chip cookies. Total (not so) secret ingredient!

29. Karly - November 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh, I MUST try these! Yum!

30. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

yum yum yum. and snickers bar (PB & nutella) on toast, love it.
    These look delicious! I love PB & salt together.

31. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - November 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Hehe that’s so funny about peanut butter the Asian way. I have it with honey on toast but now I feel like I should try sugar!

32. Agnes - November 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm

OMG. Shellie, my heart just fluttered. Give me a plate of these, and I’ll be yours for life. 😉 And I love those jars of PB from Costco! I eat it by the tablespoon…

33. Jen - November 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm

OMGosh, these look just so perfect! I too love the peanut & salt combination! I’m gonna make a batch this weekend for sure! Yum!!

34. AmandaP - November 24, 2010 at 2:26 am

these look amazing! I would make these ASAP if it wasn’t for that pesky peanut allergy my other half has…might have to borrow a friend’s kitchen!

35. Judy @ Foodie Dreams - November 24, 2010 at 8:53 am

Ooh it’s like you read my mind… I’ve been craving peanut butter cookies – the addition of salt looks awesome :)

36. Susan - November 24, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I adore PB cookies. The salty & sweet combo rocks. I’ve never actually seen PB cookies sliced from a log. What a great idea. Then they’re all nice and neat :).

37. Adrian in Food Rehab - November 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Oh gaaawd, break me off a piece of that! Great combo

38. betty - November 25, 2010 at 9:00 am

hey these look delish!

39. Joanne - November 26, 2010 at 11:34 pm

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen salt looks this gorgeous before! Those cookies look wonderful. The sweet-savory combo is one that I wouldn’t be able to stop eating.

40. penny aka jeroxie - November 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Nom Nom…. and hey.. what is this about NOT sharing?? I mean you could make about 500 yah? And yes I agree that peanut butter and salt ROCKS!

41. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - December 2, 2010 at 11:43 am

oh yum!! great idea to put peanut butter in a cookie! But you should have spread nutella ontop just to get that extra “awwww” factor….well at least from me!

42. Cherrie - December 8, 2010 at 6:16 am

I love peanut butter too and this sounds great in cookies. oh btw, the idea of snickers bar on toast… genius!

43. Matthew - December 15, 2010 at 1:58 am

Peanuts rock!!!

Did you try Murry River Salt Flakes?

Matthew

44. Bri - September 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I just made these! Very tasty. I used peanut butter but not peanuts (couldn’t find the packet that I could SWEAR I bought recently!) so threw in some chopped brazil nuts, walnuts and dark chocolate instead. Delicious. The best part is that my boyfriend doesn’t like dark chocolate so I get to enjoy them all to myself 😉