Eating Out: Treasure

“One from the archives this time. Not many words, mostly pictures. This is because: a) I can’t remember the names for everything b) I don’t know the  price of anything c) These dishes are the usual suspects when the family and I go out for yum cha The mini hot dogs usually come out on...”

a) I can’t remember the names for everything

b) I don’t know the  price of anything

c) These dishes are the usual suspects when the family and I go out for yum cha

The mini hot dogs usually come out on the first trolley. Dad, my cousins and I like to share a plate to get started. The bread is sweet and sticky.

We usually go to Treasure as the food is always good, and Dad says the chicken feet here are the best. He will eat 6 baskets on his own if you let him. However our latest trip there, we found it wasn’t as good, and the prices had gone up! Will see next time if it’s back to normal standards.

My favourite is the siu mai (the one with the orange dot in the middle), with pork and prawn filling. I have loved these for as long as I can remember. The table looks surprisingly clean here. Usually it’s covered in random sauce drippings from everyone helping themselves.

We don’t always get char siu bao, but on this occasion we did. Just looking at the photo makes me want one.

We ALWAYS get dessert though!

Clockwise from top left: coconut jelly (my favourite), egg tarts, the bill after we had eaten everything, and 2 colour jelly which my cousins and pull apart the layers to consume separately.

Treasure Restaurant on Urbanspoon

37 comments on “Eating Out: Treasure
  1. Almostalwaysravenous - September 21, 2010 at 12:43 am

have u tried taipan in doncaster? that one is pretty decent too.
    well at least i though it was decent (including all other yum cha places in melb for that matter) until i visited Tim Ho Wun (in Mong Kok, Hong kong) – cheapest michellin star restaurant. i swear i ate to my fullest and it cost much much much less than eating here… MICHELIN STAR!!!! it was awesome – the skin was paper thin but held together nicely, the meat was subtly savoury, and the like is super super epic.gee i might as well write a post on this … better dig up photos from my holiday

2. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - September 21, 2010 at 1:11 am

Massive late night dim sum craving now, damn you.

I’m also amazed by the cleanliness of your table!

3. Gabriel Hummel - September 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Dim sum?

Dim sum!?

Without me?

Travesty Shellie

4. Leah - September 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

Dumplings, tea, sweets!!! What more could you ask for in a beautiful yum cha spread?
    I adore those little custard tart’s the pastry is always perfection, so flaky and crisp..

5. Hannah - September 21, 2010 at 9:41 am

It’s been so long since I’ve been to yum cha! Last time I went, I remember getting chicken feet (not a fan) and cold jellyfish salad (awesome).

And it’s not yum cha unless you end with those egg tarts, right? :)

6. billy@ATFT - September 21, 2010 at 10:07 am

Three baskets of chicken feet! Swoon….. i bet your dad is like my dad, always love those awkward bits like feet, fish head, etc 😛

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

haha, no chicken feet is about it. oh I guess he does like trotters and tripe too… i know he doesn’t do fish head though!

7. The Brewers Wife - September 21, 2010 at 10:15 am

Looks great, we just had similar at Gold Leaf Springvale, almost the sames dishes! It seemed a little better than I remember last time, may try this one next time. That table is definitely too clean. Ours was a disgrace! Thanks

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I must try the Springvale one. Went to the Burwood one just on the weekend! Yes, the table was way too clean! I can’t explain why!

8. April @ My Food Trail - September 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

It’s pretty hard to record down all the prices and names of everything when you are dining in a such a large group! I’m surprised everyone had the patience to wait until you took photos before digging in!

Great photos with the camera too. I’m starting to think there is something wrong with my camera, though it’s probably because I’m a poor photographer and I am only using it at night!

9. Sara @ Belly Rumbles - September 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

That’s a lot of chicken feet! All looks scrumptious.

10. penny aka jeroxie - September 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I always can’t remember the stuff that I eat at YumCha… way too many dishes.

11. Honey @ honeyandsoy - September 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I LOVE those sausage rolls, as they remind me of my childhood! I always eat them when I’m in Singapore, but haven’t seen them at yum cha. And haha I see 3 baskets of chicken feet. Usually Soy eats a whole serve herself cos I’m not a fan. And wu kok (the deep fried yam fritter) is one of my all-time faves!

12. Ladybird - September 21, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Yum cha rocks! I recently did a yum cha post and, like yours, was more of a photographic account than a detailed write up. But hey, sometimes photos say it all :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Yeah i saw your post and I was like… “i’ll do something similar” photo gallery is the best option :)

13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 21, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Treasure is the best!! My man’s family got us into it. My favourite is siu mai too :) And another one I can’t think of – the names often elude me too. I’m not a huge yum cha dessert fan, but i do love the sticky black sesame roll thing (if you know what I’m talking about).
    I have never tried chicken feet – they creep me out. Maybe one day :)

14. Brad Fallon - September 22, 2010 at 4:25 am

That looks soooo good! Massive dim sum craving happening now!

15. Anh - September 22, 2010 at 11:38 am

I can never remember what I eat @ yum cha either! Thats why photos are always good :)

16. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - September 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Now I am craving for yum cha although I just had my lunch!!

17. My Restaurants Melbourne - September 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I find it hard remembering all the names of the food I eat at yum cha too. nice photos as well. Have you ever tried the all you can eat chinese buffett restaurant in Burwood? it’s worth checking out. The food is fantastic

18. Anna Johnston - September 23, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh now I’m just going to have to have Yum Cha again soon…, cravings have started seeing all this. This spread looks amazing. Must have…..