Re-Blog: Pork Potsticker Dumplings

“I revisited a previously blogged about recipe recently. The photo on the original blog post was just horrible! I wanted to see how much my photography has improved, and what a difference. I’m still not 100% happy with the photo above, but it’s much better that the original. I took more time and care making...”

Re-Blog: Pork Potsticker Dumplings

Re-Blog: Pork Potsticker Dumplings

I’m still not 100% happy with the photo above, but it’s much better that the original. I took more time and care making the dumplings too. I made a double batch and froze half. Hopefully they are still good once being frozen. This batch tasted better than the first, as well as looked better as I had the right tools of trade this time.

Pork Potsticker Dumplings
An adaption from Donna Hay

240g pork mince
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
2 green onions, finely sliced
a small splash, sesame oil
12 round wonton wrappers
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
1 floret of broccoli chopped or 350g of choy sum
soy sauce or black vinegar, to serve

1. Combine the mince, hoisin sauce, ginger and sesame oil and onion.

2. Place spoonfuls of the mixture on each wonton. Brush edges with water, fold in half and press to seal.

3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and dumplings and cook for 2 minutes or until bases are well browned. Add stock and broccoli or choy sum to the pan and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 6-8 minutes without lifting the lid.

4. To serve, sprinkle vegetables and dumplings with soy or vinegar.

Re-Blog: Pork Potsticker Dumplings

Comments

20 comments on “Re-Blog: Pork Potsticker Dumplings
  1. Esz - September 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Wow your photography really has improved 😀 Loving the new blog look and everything. Awesome stuff!

2. Yuki - September 5, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Keep up the good work!!!
    Practice makes it perfect =)
    By the way…i love dumplings too ^^ good for winter too =)

3. Briony - September 6, 2010 at 1:42 am

Thanks for sharing – you’ve made me remember the last item on our meal plan for this week too! Think we’ll have dumplings tomorrow night :)

Briony

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Yummmm!! Lucky you! I’m back into the meal planning, and it’s a good feeling knowing we won’t be eating crap!

4. Tv Food and Drink - September 6, 2010 at 11:55 am

As someone who spent an hour today slaving over about 100 shots he took of a cocktail, only to find just one that was worth of presentation, I know how important a good pic is. Yours is great. You should be very happy. Food is so much fun to look at. Who knew what a pain in the ass it is to photograph it well! :) – Gary

5. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I made dumplings the other night – havent blogged about it yet. They fell apart si easily when i steamed them. then we cooked them gyoza style, by quick frying then steaming. this turned out better but they werent very pretty :) yummy though. how was the filling in this recipe?

6. Mum - September 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Great effort Mish. You’ve come such a long way in your culinary expertise. The dumplings look very expertly made. How come we didn’t get a taste? Love and Kisses, Mum

7. Ms Baklover - September 7, 2010 at 6:50 am

WANT!! Home made dumplings are my fave.

8. delicieux - September 7, 2010 at 7:37 am

My boyfriend is OBSESSED with pork dumplings. Wherever we go that serves these he has to get them. I’ve never used Donna Hay’s recipe, but will have to give it a try.

9. Anna Johnston - September 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

I have so much to learn about food photography, I’m always a touch ashamed at the photos I put up, so your photo growth is inspiring to me. Love the recipe too :)
    Think I like eating these little morsels much more than cooking them judging by how many I can down in one single sitting. Oh well….

10. Sammie - January 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hey Iron Chef Shellie thanks for your great article on Re-Blog. The post was very beneficial for a report I am working on for school.