Eating Out: Queen Victoria Market

“This post was sponsored by Nuffnang It had been ages since I last went to the Queen Vic market. I used to get dragged along as a little girl by my aunty, as she did her groceries. I would always hate when we went into the fish and meat section due to the smell. But now...”

Dining | August 31, 2010
Eating Out: Queen Victoria Market

Eating Out: Queen Victoria Market

This post was sponsored by Nuffnang

It had been ages since I last went to the Queen Vic market. I used to get dragged along as a little girl by my aunty, as she did her groceries. I would always hate when we went into the fish and meat section due to the smell. But now my appreciation of food and me actually wanting to go and do all of those things.

Mum and I were out checking the North Melbourne craft markets, but didn’t really spend much time there, so we thought, if we can find a free car park nearby, we will go… and we did.

We started out just cruising through the non-food section, and then ended up in the deli. The smells were amazing, and I just wanted to eat EVERYTHING. I wanted to try the famous bratwurst but we couldn’t find it anywhere. I hadn’t had breakfast so I lined up for the famous doughnuts whilst Mum looked through a handbag stall.

I didn’t want to get a doughnut, to burn my tongue on the hot jam. This problem has haunted me, and thus is why I avoid hot jam doughnuts.

I did burn my tongue. I don’t really think it was worth it either. Sure they were fresh and covered in sugar, but I don’t think these were the best doughnuts I’ve ever tried.

We asked the spurker at the handbag stall where we could find the bratwurst, then promptly headed there. There was a queue as expected and large selection to choose from. I got the mild bratwurst with sauerkraut and mustard. It was fantastic! A huge serve on such fresh bread. Mum and I were both pleased we finally found the bratwurst!

I love the face of the woman in the corner of this photo!

The Queen Victoria Market is a must for locals and tourists. I can’t wait to go back with my granny shopping cart and buy the whole deli!

American Doughnut Kitchen on Urbanspoon Melbourne Bratwurst Shop on Urbanspoon

Eating Out: Queen Victoria Market

Comments

25 comments on “Eating Out: Queen Victoria Market
  1. My Restaurants Melbourne - August 31, 2010 at 6:02 am

I havent’ been to the markets for a while either shellie. Those bratwurst’s look fabulous, will have to try.

2. kristy @ ksayerphotography - August 31, 2010 at 6:56 am

Awwh what a shame about the donuts! I hate when things don’t live up to expectation

3. penny aka jeroxie - August 31, 2010 at 9:47 am

Great post! I only have those jam donuts from Olympics…. these are overpriced and not very good anymore.

4. Anna Johnston - August 31, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I love the Queen Vic markets, only been there a couple of times. That bratwurst & ‘slaw burger looks divine, can I have a bit pleeaasse?

5. Hannah - August 31, 2010 at 2:22 pm

My brother shops there every weekend – I should ask him to look out for you πŸ˜‰ There’s a deli there that sells just the kind of interesting chocolates I blog about, too… gosh, I need to pop by Melbourne soon soon soon!

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 1, 2010 at 10:11 am

Oh! Well I didn’t even know I was going there till last second! hehe and yes! get your bum down to Melbourne!

6. Melbourne Mumma - August 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Oh I should go back to Queen Vic but Prahran’s just so easy for us to get to. One day soon though – I need one of those trolleys on wheels :)

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - August 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Oh I haven’t been to the Queen Vic Market in so long! I’m really wanting a donut and bratwurst now! Red Hill Market has delicious Italian donuts – have you been there? Really yummy and soft. I prefer mine without jam, just the lovely sugar coating.

• Iron Chef Shellie - September 1, 2010 at 10:13 am

I don’t believe I went to the Red Hill Market, maybe I did… I can’t remember. I don’t remember any Italian donuts so probably not. They sound good though!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - August 31, 2010 at 7:23 pm

We really enjoyed our visit to the Queen Viv markets! The main thing I was thinking was why we don’t have something similar here! There’s so much great produce!

9. Esz - September 1, 2010 at 11:15 am

We went there the other day with my folks and they loved it. I live just around the corner so I should be going more often. I LOVE those donuts too – they’re so yeasty and yum.
    The Polish butcher there is really good too. My dad bought the biggest chunk of speck (from another stall) and the lady was like “You really want ALL of that”. Yes we do. We are wogs. LOL πŸ˜‰

10. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - September 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Haha, I love that woman’s face too. She is waiting for the bratwurst to fly into her waiting mouth πŸ˜€

11. mademoiselle dΓ©licieuse - September 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I love the deli and bread stands at QV Market and it’s a must-visit each time I’m in Melbourne. Problem is I’m terribly short and those counter tops are up so high!

12. Ms Baklover - September 7, 2010 at 6:54 am

Oh I agree, the QV donuts are no good!! Everyone raves about them and I don’t understand why. They have almost no jam in them at all. Best are Olympic Donuts at Footscray station, run by an old man and his wife. They have a fantastic kitsch “squirter” for the jam which is in the shape of a huge dolphin jumping out of the waves with a long, sharp tube sticking out of its mouth.

13. Katie - June 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hey I love the Vic market donuts but am open to tasting
    A better one. I would love to know where you got the
    Better tasting donuts from