Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese

“I have wanted to make this recipe since I got Bill Granger‘s, Simply Bill cookbook many years ago. The picture looked like something I could happily live on, and a good variation from the tradition beef bolognese. The recipe is really quite easy, you could easily make it after a day at the office. Once...”

Recipes | August 10, 2010
Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese

Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese

The recipe is really quite easy, you could easily make it after a day at the office. Once you have done the basics and everything is in the pan simmering away; just cook the pasta and you’ll have dinner in no time.
I found I had to add a bit of sugar to the sauce as it was quite salty. The parsley really cuts through and adds a lovely freshness to the sauce. Be sure to add the parsley in at the end to ensure the fresh flavour.

We now have a rule in our house; no seconds. With summer on it’s way, it’s time to shed some of the winter fat we have accumulated for hibernation. So we can only have the seconds as another meal the day after or later on in the week. We were both really wanting seconds of this pasta, but the best thing is we are looking forward to the leftovers tonight for dinner!

Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese
Adapated from Bill Granger
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 slices pancetta or prosciutto, chopped
500g minced chicken
375ml tomato passata
500g rigatoni
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
grated parmesan cheese
1. Put the oil, onion, celery, garlic and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 7 minutes until golden. Add the pancetta and chicken and stir constantly with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps. When the mince is cooked through, add the passata and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with any extra salt, pepper or sugar.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta to packet directions. Drain and toss with the sauce.
3. To serve, fold in parsley and top with grated parmesan.Serves 4.

Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese

Comments

8 comments on “Rigatoni and Chicken Bolognese
  1. jo - August 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

oh yummo yummo- will try this out- thankyou for your blog- It's inspirational!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - August 10, 2010 at 7:52 pm

That looks delicious Shellie! I really should do the no seconds thing here too! 😀

3. penny aka jeroxie - August 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Yum…. love the photo babe :)

4. Conor @ Hold the Beef - August 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I think you might have to start making less tasty looking (and am sure smelling and tasting) food if you're going to stick to this no seconds plan.

I think across the country we're all doing similar things as we dream of impending summer heat and struggle to get into our winter jeans :( booo!

5. Miss Melbourne - August 11, 2010 at 11:08 am

I love easy recipes like this that actually taste good. Thanks!

6. imasugarjunkie - August 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

this looks really good! And like a really good alternative to the typical pasta too.

7. BuBbles - August 11, 2010 at 4:29 pm

The no seconds rule is a brilliant idea and I think I might have to institute it in our house too :)

Very easy meal to make – thanks for sharing.

BuBbles
    x.

8. Iron Chef Shellie - August 13, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hi Jo – Thankyou for your kind words =D

Hi Lorraine – Thanks! It's so hard to resist seconds when they taste so good!

Hi Penny – Thanks =D I'm glad I got at least one good one 😛

Hi Conor – lol, true that! boo indeed! If all that fails, it will be the rabbit food diet!

Hi Miss Melbourne – Same! No worries, I love to share the easy recipes!

Hi I'm A Sugar Junkie – Thanks! Yes, it was quite refreshing from the usual beef :)

Hi BuBbles – Thanks! Hopefully we can lose some weight with it 😛